Socom Confrontation update

Taken from the Playstation.com forums:

Hey everyone! I am one of the developers at Slant Six Games working on SOCOM Confrontation, and I will be posting on this forum from time to time. The dev team is working very hard to recreate the classic SOCOM experience that everyone knows and loves while at the same time evolving and updating it for the PlayStation 3. We know you have a lot of questions regarding SOCOM Confrontation, and I am here to provide answers where I can. Today I am going to address three consistent concerns I have seen expressed in your posts in the weeks since the first videos of Confrontation were released.

Over the Shoulder Camera View

We are very happy with the way the OTS camera view looks and feels in game. However, we know that many of the community members are apprehensive about this new camera mode. Both Fire Team Bravo and Fire Team Bravo 2 use the OTS camera, and it works great. I encourage all of you to give it a go if you have not already. Nevertheless, rest assured that Confrontation includes the classic camera mode as an option.

Red Dots on the Radar

This is another mechanic that many people feel very strongly about so I’d like to explain the current design. Because this feature is still being honed, I am only going to concentrate on what everyone has seen at this point. Currently, when a player targets an opponent and his crosshairs turn red, a red dot may appear on a teammate’s radar depending on player proximity. The radar only provides info that teammates would otherwise communicate to their allies through speech or callout IF they were playing as a team. Some of the benefits of the red dots include helping teammate’s spot campers, reducing frustration of playing with teammates who never communicate and helping to track down opponents in no re-spawn game modes.

The Gun Spray

We are still very early in the tuning of all the weapons but are very conscious about weapon balance and feel. Currently a player’s first shot or two will be deadly accurate, the longer the trigger is held down the more inaccuracy the weapon will become (which is what you were seeing in the videos). Weapon accuracy is affected by stance, so that a player will be much less accurate while running and firing compared to a player who is standing still to target or better yet crouching or prone. Weapon tuning is extremely important and is an element of Confrontation’s production that is in constant iteration. The weapons will continue to be tweaked and tuned until we are confident with their balance and feel.

We appreciate all of your support, and take your feedback very seriously. I am a full-time member of Confrontation’s development team, so unlike a dedicated community manager I will not be able to respond to all of your questions and posts, but we do read everything on this board. It’s probably best to avoid PM’s altogether because of my limited time, and because any information that I share is intended for the whole SOCOM community.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post number 2:

Hey guys, I am following this thread, and I have to ease your minds about one area of concern. The Target Spotting mechanic (the Red Dots) on the radar are an option for Custom Matches, but are not enabled for Ranked Matches. If a player sets up a room with “Target Spotting†enabled then they can give the Red Dots a try, but it’s up to them. Don’t be afraid to try it, you might like it.

Have a great weekend!

nice find...

im glad that red dot thing isnt goin to be there it would take away all the recon purposes to a point ..i think if your teamamtes dont talk then that would be to my atvantage and not to yours..if the red dot showed teammates where people were then why use the mic damn i got scared for a minute ..).kinda like buying a car that can park for you)

As far as release date I hate to break the bad news but IGN has it listed as TBA 2008.

At first there was to be Socom Confrontation this fall by Slant Six. Then Socom 4 by Zipper fall of 2008. Now in their infinite wisdom they are combining to make one game but have not solidified a release date.

Guest umerfonz
SHANE23 ]

Now in their infinite wisdom they are combining to make one game but have not solidified a release date.

Not true... It says so on the website that you were looking at...

Here's the link for the one by Slant Six: http://ps3.ign.com/objects/906/906076.html

And here's the link for the one by Zipper: http://ps3.ign.com/objects/811/811710.html

Here's the list: http://ps3.ign.com/index/release.html

They are both as TBA '08 one is called "Socom:Confrontation" the other is "Zipper Interactive PS3 Project"

Take a look at your first link again.

"Also known as: SOCOM 4: Confrontation, SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs: Confrontation"

It is now one project. At first it was Socom Confrontation by Slant Six and Socom 4 by Zipper. Now it is Socom 4: Confrontation. I am looking for the interview that states all this but it is true.

SHANE23 ]

Take a look at your first link again.

"Also known as: SOCOM 4: Confrontation, SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs: Confrontation"

It is now one project. At first it was Socom Confrontation by Slant Six and Socom 4 by Zipper. Now it is Socom 4: Confrontation. I am looking for the interview that states all this but it is true.

"......this fourth title in the multi-million unit selling franchise............"

Yes, it's the 4th title but that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be combined as one project. Combined Assault wasn't a numbered sequel because it was considered more of an expansion than a new game but Confrontation will be a totally new game hence the S4 reference, so the Zipper project will be Socom 5 not Socom 4.

Just my 2 cents, I am just speculating.

I could have sworn there was an article that said they were now combining the 2. I cannot find it and from everything else out there who knows what is going on. Originally it was out the Confrontation and Socom 4 were 2 seperate projects and now there is a rumor that Zipper's next project is something away from the Socom series.

I don't know anymore, typical Zipper with lack of info.

HERE IS POST NUMBER 3 FROM SEALTEAM-6:

SealTeam-6

Slant Six

Message 497 of 548

Viewed 240 times

I’ve got time for another quick update, this time regarding the match making system. We are going to have Advanced Player Matching, which is the perfect tool for any player that has limited time, wants to get into a game quickly and have it start right away. This feature is very friendly to new players, and will help to grow the SOCOM community. The lobby system is ideal for clan training and custom matches and we know that SOCOM fans want it to stay. Confrontation also has a lobby system which is very similar to S2/S3. Players can browse through region filters and then enter a room within that filter. We feel strongly that both systems have their application and their audience.

Guest H.A.V.0.C
SouthwoodS ]

HERE IS POST NUMBER 3 FROM SEALTEAM-6:

SealTeam-6

Slant Six

Message 497 of 548

Viewed 240 times

I’ve got time for another quick update, this time regarding the match making system. We are going to have Advanced Player Matching, which is the perfect tool for any player that has limited time, wants to get into a game quickly and have it start right away. This feature is very friendly to new players, and will help to grow the SOCOM community. The lobby system is ideal for clan training and custom matches and we know that SOCOM fans want it to stay. Confrontation also has a lobby system which is very similar to S2/S3. Players can browse through region filters and then enter a room within that filter. We feel strongly that both systems have their application and their audience.

Man, I don't think I've used that one time. Has anyone else?

ive got a question it seems to me that since they havent had a real press release date by slant six or scea for that matter wouldnt it seem that they wont release confrontation until next year?....i mean the websites that ive looked at and have given a release date really arent that reliable i mean EB, gamestop, or even ign dont have a release date and theyre pretty reliable