socom Blog Update

Update on Latency (lag) Issues

Posted by SOCOM: Confrontation Online Team

We've identified a server side issue which is causing some default games (Medley games) to be created on the Japanese and Asian servers for North American players and vice versa. When this happens, players experience higher than normal latency as they are playing on servers which are not located locally. This issue was recently made worse when the number of North American hosted servers was reduced.

On Sunday, February 15th, we added back in the North American servers which were removed. This will partially solve the problem as more games will be created in North America. The server team is working on a fix for the root problem as quickly as possible and we hope to have something rolled out soon.

Please note, custom games are not affected by this issue. Playing custom games will avoid the latency issues until a server side fix for the problem can be deployed.

We would like to thank everyone who provide extremely valuable information in the forums which helped us track down the issue.

Discuss this topic in the forums here.

It seems it is their end!

Xx-CHURCHY-xX ]

How about... custom RANKED games?

Ahh.. problem solved

The reason I don't like that idea is simple. There were to many out there that made ranked rooms where they were SO lopsided and that clan would stay on the easy side 100% of the time.

They would make Enowapi breach with no nades or something like that. There was no chance for the Seals.

IF they made it where you could make a ranked suppression or something where you could not change any of the other settings I would be fine with that.

"the number of North American hosted servers was reduced.:"

why the hell would they reduce the servers in the first place? so what now? there are about to release it in Europe.. WTF do they think that's going to do to things? reduce the servers!!! unbelievable!

I wondering what that means anyway.. reduce the servers.. ?

so what they went from three older servers to two outdated ones? but its all fixed now because we tossed in a old IBM33 we found in the warehouse.. ::)

SHANE23 ]
Xx-CHURCHY-xX ]

Ahh.. problem solved

The reason I don't like that idea is simple. There were to many out there that made ranked rooms where they were SO lopsided and that clan would stay on the easy side 100% of the time.

They would make Enowapi breach with no nades or something like that. There was no chance for the Seals.

IF they made it where you could make a ranked suppression or something where you could not change any of the other settings I would be fine with that.

That's why you check the playlist when you enter a room. If you don't like the maps they put because it was too lopsided, then you leave and go find another room. Plus, I bet it would be enjoyable to have the Trauma Ward every week as a ranked room, the way YOU Want it

Xx-CHURCHY-xX ]
SHANE23 ]
Xx-CHURCHY-xX ]

Ahh.. problem solved

That's why you check the playlist when you enter a room. If you don't like the maps they put because it was too lopsided, then you leave and go find another room. Plus, I bet it would be enjoyable to have the Trauma Ward every week as a ranked room, the way YOU Want it

The play list doesn't even show if it night or day let alone weapons restrictions.

No I don't play that way. I think clans that do that are a joke. If you cannot win unless you setup a room to make it impossible for you to lose then you shouldn't play.

That's why I'm saying to join a room that YOU prefer. If people make their own rooms and you look at the playlist and see extremely one-sided maps, you simply leave and check the next room. Just because people are creating one sided rooms doesn't mean you HAVE to join.

And when I mentioned creating ranked rooms for the Trauma Ward, I wasn't talking about you creating it so that cBF always wins. I'm talking about creating the room with maps, restrictions and settings that YOU want and can enjoy.

UNCLE-SID25 ]

Guys I found the magic answer- There is very little lag if you make a custom room and only play with 3-4 people in it. :-\

that still has a little lag Sid, but if you make it with only one player it WORKS!! sure you sit in the lobby the entire time... by your self...and can't start the game.. but hey! that's a small price to pay for no lag. ;)

NEO--X-- ]
Cynical2U ]

From what I remember they wont put custom ranked rooms in because they didnt want people exploiting the rank system. I think I read that on the socom website but I cant remember.

correct... that information was avail pre launch, they wanted to do away with Rank up rooms

Well obviously /6 should have been focusing on more pressing issues. I've never understood the obsession with rank. I don't care who ranks up, they still have to outshoot and outsmart me if they are in the same room and the opposite side. Their rank won't help them then, or any other time I would think. Unless people actually look at the opposite side before greening up and a cold fear grips them and affects their game play.

HogWild ]
NEO--X-- ]
Cynical2U ]

From what I remember they wont put custom ranked rooms in because they didnt want people exploiting the rank system. I think I read that on the socom website but I cant remember.

correct... that information was avail pre launch, they wanted to do away with Rank up rooms

Well obviously /6 should have been focusing on more pressing issues. I've never understood the obsession with rank. I don't care who ranks up, they still have to outshoot and outsmart me if they are in the same room and the opposite side. Their rank won't help them then, or any other time I would think. Unless people actually look at the opposite side before greening up and a cold fear grips them and affects their game play.

and that is the way I think as well Hog but all I was stating is the reason that from day one they have never put "custom made ranked rooms" that was all that I was saying. its a video game what give a fuck about rank???

Unfortunately for us, there's a huge part of the community that CARES about rank. I really don't give a shit about rank or not, but since they went ahead and separated the stats into "Ranked" and "Unranked," it keeps me wanting to play Ranked games.

The two things I wish we had most was custom ranked rooms and PASSWORD protected rooms