Guerrilla fixing Killzone 2 bugs, looking into control complaints

Despite being intentionally designed as a "weighty, slower, more tactical first person experience," Killzone 2 is taking some flak for its sluggish controls. Producer Seb Downie had previously stated that "no changes [were] required to the system" with regards to last month's demo, but now that the final game is out, Guerrilla Games is changing its tune. Included in an official list of things to be patched, Downie notes that controller issues are being looked into: "Any possible changes will have to be carefully implemented and tested before being deployed though." This is a stark contrast in tone whereas the previous message implied that Guerilla would not alter anything -- they just might do something now.

As for the things that will definitely be patched, Guerilla has revealed it's working on bot solutions, network issues and other problems. Check after the break for the full list of fixes.

Taken directly from Official PlayStation Forums:

* Boost -- We've identified and fixed the bug to do with the boost medal not being awarded. It will go into a patch we are working on at present, but there is a workaround in the mean time to get it. Simply ensure that you are the Game Creator rather than client and you'll be awarded it.

* Network Errors/Honor Ranks -- We are also looking at fixing a good bunch of the network errors and are looking into the complaints about the Honor Ranks as well as a couple of other bits and pieces. We'll provide a list of fixes when we are close to releasing the patch.

* Bots -- We're working on a permanent solution for the bots stat padding and have some internal solutions that we're going to work on implementing. We'll let you know what those are when we've got the patch together and the solution implemented. We will NOT be wiping ALL stats and padders will be looked at individually by the moderators.

* http://www.kz.com -- http://www.killzone.com is being sorted out today to deal with the massive traffic it's been facing and hope to have some long-term solutions in place shortly. The stats are currently empty on the site and will be repopulated today.

* Controller Issues -- We have not stopped looking into the complaints and will see what we can do about it. Any possible changes will have to be carefully implemented and tested before being deployed though.

* Charge disarming -- We have identified the issue where sometimes the C4 charge in Search and Destroy will not disarm. Will be fixed with the next update.

* Shotgun Aim Assist -- Investigating the problem and will patch it up.

* Clan Games -- Sometimes the clan that does not turn up for a match is awarded the win under specific circumstances. Will be patched ASAP.

* Battle Replay for Map 8 - Corinth Crossing -- The BR on http://www.killzone.com is not quite right and will be fixed soon.

* Ignore list -- Was found not to be functioning correctly. Will be fixed in the next patch.

* Crashes -- Crash when using Saboteur disguise in certain situations. Will be fixed in the next patch. Infrequent crash when trying to start a game with an empty game name. Will be fixed soon.

* Medic/Assassination -- There is an issue with the Assassination target HUD icon displaying when playing as a Medic. Investigating and will be fixed.

Sharkbait2 ]
CDBS14 ]

i love GG' date=' they always respond fast. I like the controls they probably wont do anything to them, and if they do it will be a minor touch.

[/quote']

If they make the aiming just like cod, I think the game would take off

ewwwwwwww, cod aiming is too arcade like, "too easy". KZ2 actually takes more skill to aim.

CDBS14 ]
Chili-Palmer ]

Whatever they do' date=' hopefully it wont take anything away, or hurt any other part of the game.. as we all know patches can do that. ;D

[/quote']

agreed. SPECIALLY with controls; they should be as they are, some people are blaming the controls for their inability to do well on KZ2.

Too true!! I hit everything but the other team with the shotgun. They have to be stuck on a wall or a box or something for me to kill them. ;D

Nemesis ]
CDBS14 ]
Chili-Palmer ]

Whatever they do' date=' hopefully it wont take anything away, or hurt any other part of the game.. as we all know patches can do that. ;D

[/quote']

agreed. SPECIALLY with controls; they should be as they are, some people are blaming the controls for their inability to do well on KZ2.

Too true!! I hit everything but the other team with the shotgun. They have to be stuck on a wall or a box or something for me to kill them. ;D

LOL. try playing offline against the bots on easy (target practice) and tweak the sensitivity and play around until you get the hang of it. takes a while to get used to KZ2 just for the fact that it is completely different than cod. PUTTING COD CONTROLS WOULD MAKE IT COD FUTURE NOT KZ2.

Rorbotron ]
CDBS14 ]

i have X axis -1 from highest' date=' and Y axis -2 from highest. This gives you a circles like motion instea dof the oval if you have both at full.

[/quote']

Cool. I tried to send you a friend request via the PSN but your list is over quota.

damn. i got 100. i just deleted some people that havent been online in like 135 days.

mic-- ]

I started with my settings at the max' date=' but then turned my settings -1 from the default and it helped with the "delay" or whatever you want to call it. I don't think they should touch the controls. This isn't cod...

[/quote']

Ehh... You're right, its not CoD4 and I don't expect the game to be similar to CoD4. If that was the case, I wouldn't have paid $60 for the game and just continued to play CoD4. It is however a shooter game and I may be mistaken here, but I haven't played any other shooter game recently where there is a delay in aiming. Even if you want to take the "more realistic" approach, moves in real life are instant and don't have any delay either. I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to me, the delay was a huge turn off.

It actually sucks that it was built this way too. I love the gameplay, graphics, style, story and even the fact that it has a built in clan system and so far hasn't experienced any server lags... but the aiming just killed it for me.