Please Help! (Car Buying)

Men,

I have just recently ended a very long and serious relationship. While I may be acting on impulse right now, I've decided to consider the possibility of buying a new car. However, I know very little about cars and I'm not even sure what "brand" of car I want. Today was the first time in my life that I even went to a car website to see what was out there.

I begin my search with BMW. They are high performance cars and most people I speak to (family/friends) only have positive things to say. The price range that I am looking for falls between model 328i and 650i (both coupe). The 650 is absolute max (definately a reach for me) and the 328i is very very realisitc.

Basically, I'm 23, single, still live at home :'(, and have a very solid income with essentially no expenses. I want a fun car to drive. I figured there will be a good amount of you out there that have a lot of knowledge about cars and can give me suggestions of cars to look at.

Please Help!!!!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL. I am biased. I am a BMW-aholic. If you want a fun, refined, reliable car to drive, it sounds like you are the right track. BMW, Mercedes, Audi. All very solid manufacturers. If I were you, take a weekend and go start driving. I test drove the new Audi A6 a few weeks ago, and holy shit am I impressed. Anyways, go drive them and see which one really speaks to you.

What do you drive now..?

Dont get taken by the sales guys, just test drive some cars.!!

Convince yourself to walk away, dont let them suck you into talking about price, UNTIL YOU KNOW which car you want.!!

Have you looked at the new Nissan 370.? (or GT-R ;D)

or any American cars.?

BIeach ]

Nice friggin car' date=' dude!!!!!!!!!!!! The more I look at the BMW's...the more I like them. I'm also considering the Audi A5, Infiniti G37, and BMW M3.

and yes....the M6 is an amazing car! Way too expensive for me though....

[/quote']

I'd grab a E46 M3 certified used and never look back if you're thinking about a BMW. However if you want a fun car for the money a 03/04 Mustang Cobra, switch out the pulley and toss some Magnaflow Magnapacks out back and you'll be smiling from ear to ear. What are the 328i's running these days? 30-35? Hell for that money you could pick up a 03/04 Cobra as low mileage as possible and stock if you can find it. You then switch out the Supercharger to either a Kenne Bell or a Whipple and get a safe tune. Put some street level drag radials out back and hold on to your ass.

Ridiculous speed and power and exhaust loud enough to set off car alarms, not to mention the sexual blower whine from under the hood. Yes please! However the Cobra is no where near as refined as a BMW but at 23 you don't need refined.

fullersdfd24.jpg

A delicious example.

BIeach ]

Basically' date=' I'm 23, single, still live at home :'(, and have a very solid income with essentially no expenses. I want a fun car to drive. I figured there will be a good amount of you out there that have a lot of knowledge about cars and can give me suggestions of cars to look at.

Please Help!!!!

[/quote']

let me paraphrase so people can give him advice ...

"i am 23, single and need a car that attracts girls. i want a panty dropper."

I think that strick in RVN knows cars.

RNG187 ]

robo i had one in silver, those things fucking haul ass like the cops are after em.

Probably because the cops ARE after em. I have a 98 GT that I got when I was 16. She's still under 65k in mileage and has a bunch of aftermarket work. I have heads in my basement that I plan to send off this summer as cores to Fox Lake performance in Wooster, Ohio. Gonna have them put together a bullet proof long block and I'll likely strap a big Kenne Bell or a whipple on here as well. I'm already setting off the car alarms and have a respectable 376.8 lol HP to the rear wheels the last time I had her dynoed. Nothing like going to downtown Pittsburgh or downtown Columbus currently and parking in a parking garage. It happens without fail each time. I get in put the key in the ignition and turn it over. It sets off every sensitive car alarm on that particular level if I give it a little gas in neutral. Magnaflow Magnapacks with a Mac Pro-chamber (no cats) man does she love to grumble lol.

My vote is 03/04 Cobra and then the E46 but if you get the M3 MAKE SURE it's certified used because you'll get a$$ raped on maintenance and repair which is another vote for the 03/04 Cobra. The Lancer Evo or the WRX are both nice but I want some good ol' American Muscle. I did see a absolutely sick Lancer Evo two nights ago. It was black with black rims. The guy had the taillights tinted black and a deep tint on the windows. All it needed was a red track light on the front end of the grill and it was night riders long lost cousin.

Chili-Palmer ]

What do you drive now..?

Dont get taken by the sales guys, just test drive some cars.!!

Convince yourself to walk away, dont let them suck you into talking about price, UNTIL YOU KNOW which car you want.!!

Have you looked at the new Nissan 370.? (or GT-R ;D)

or any American cars.?

Right now I'm in a Chrysler Sebring Convertible (2000). It is the car I have had since HS!!! Since I've essentially been saving for college, engagement ring, wedding, and all that stuff....cars were (clearly) not high on my priority list. However, now that all that stuff is gone....I def want to get something nice!

I looked at the GT-R which is above my price range (sweet car)....still have to take a look at 370.

Dont be too hasty man.. Are you sure all of that is over, or are you just freshly out of it & about to spend a shitload of cash out of spite.!?

I would definitely take a look at the 370, i think it is reasonably priced. (like the Evo & WRX)

Chili-Palmer ]

Dont be too hasty man.. Are you sure all of that is over, or are you just freshly out of it & about to spend a shitload of cash out of spite.!?

I would definitely take a look at the 370, i think it is reasonably priced. (like the Evo & WRX)

W/O getting in to the details....it is def over. I'm def acting on a bit of impulse but I just spent 8 years (my whole dating life) with the same girl. Now that it didn't work out....I want to think of myself and just have fun!!

Rorbotron ]

I'd grab a E46 M3 certified used and never look back if you're thinking about a BMW. However if you want a fun car for the money a 03/04 Mustang Cobra, switch out the pulley and toss some Magnaflow Magnapacks out back and you'll be smiling from ear to ear. What are the 328i's running these days? 30-35? Hell for that money you could pick up a 03/04 Cobra as low mileage as possible and stock if you can find it. You then switch out the Supercharger to either a Kenne Bell or a Whipple and get a safe tune. Put some street level drag radials out back and hold on to your ass.

Ridiculous speed and power and exhaust loud enough to set off car alarms, not to mention the sexual blower whine from under the hood. Yes please! However the Cobra is no where near as refined as a BMW but at 23 you don't need refined.

I don't know what most of that stuff means...but that car looks sick! Gonna do a lot of research on this stuff so that I can find something I will really enjoy!

If you for the Audi, skip the A5 and go for the 6. More luxury and drives almost the same. The M3 and the Cobra WILL get you into trouble. No doubt about it. The 3 series BMW has won Car and Drivers COTY award more than any other car, and won again this year.

The Z4 M coupe is a panty dropper. If I don't buy an M3 in the next few years, it will be one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___07-BMW-Z4-M-COUPE-PREMIUM-SPORT-NAV-CLEAN-L-K_W0QQitemZ190291565442QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item190291565442&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A-1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1308

Besides, there's a reason that all other auto commercials try and say their ride outperforms a BMW, Audi, MB. GO drive them.

Not to get off topic just some helpful advice. Personally I would think about investing in something worth while like a house. With the market the way it is you can steal one now. All the foreclosures going on there are great deals out there. Not that you are looking to do so but a girl would be more impressed with you owning your own house then a car especially at 23.