It finally happened to me

Flashing red light on my PS3. I know this has been posted before, but I'm personally not in the mood to look for the threads.

I know I'm screwed, but I have a couple of questions:

What happens to anything I have saved on it if I send it in? Pictures, vids, music, etc.?? Is it gone for good now??

Also, games saves? Are they gone for good now? Will I need to rank-up again on MW2??

Can I get all the games I purchased via the PSN store back?

This is the original 60gb model. If I get it fixed, are they selling pretty quick on ebay or Craig's list? Because I was thinking of just getting a newer model now, having the old one fixed and try and then sell it to recoup some of my losses.

Oh yea, my copy of MW2 is still inside. Will they retrieve that for me and send it back with the PS3?

• Directors

You really need to find the ghost post about this, follow the instructions so that you can retrieve all of your save data.

As for PSN, that will still be there.

Thanks bro. BTW, does anyone have the exact number I need to call to send this thing back to Sony and repair it for the $150. I decided that I'm gonna repair it, then when I get it back, try and sell it. If and when I sell it, go buy a new one. I'm gonna be out all the data anyway, so fuck it.

You will lose your game saves but can download your stuff from the PSN store once you sign in to your account on your PS3. If you work on it yourself Sony won't help you. Here is another option. Sony is taking trade ins for $148 you send them your broken one and they send you a factory certified slim 120GB. They will extract your disk and send it back to with with the refurb or the new slim. PS3's are dropping like flies lately 2 guys in my clan had theirs break last week.

Sony Computer Entertainment America

M-SAT 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. PST

Sunday 7:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m

800-345-7669 (800-345-SONY)

ReBels-InSanIty ]

if i remember correctly you have to request a service repair on the playstation site since the number that you can call is just a voice animated machine that just gives you useless info when the troubleshooting solutions didnt work for you.

Link:

https://service1.us.playstation.com/rma.htm?_flowExecutionKey=_c70C1490F-4045-AC3E-95C8-339AA0E30C9B_kBC453733-A3B4-2FD3-7694-61284EF8CA69

Crusty_Demons ]

You will lose your game saves but can download your stuff from the PSN store once you sign in to your account on your PS3. If you work on it yourself Sony won't help you. Here is another option. Sony is taking trade ins for $148 you send them your broken one and they send you a factory certified slim 120GB. They will extract your disk and send it back to with with the refurb or the new slim. PS3's are dropping like flies lately 2 guys in my had theirs break last week.

Sony Computer Entertainment America

M-SAT 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. PST

Sunday 7:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m

800-345-7669 (800-345-SONY)

That's a good deal, opposed to paying $150 to get it fixed. My PS3 is GOING to break soon. I know it is. Freezes more and more every day, hangs up on load screens all the time, has weird hitches on startup, and I even had it freeze when browsing my friends list and upon reboot it had to reformat something. I didn't lose any data, but the end is near. :'(

I keep procrastinating on selling it on Ebay to pick up a SLIM, but I'm planning on listing it today.

lX-LUCIFER-Xl ]

Are these launch PS3 that are breaking or newer ones?

Mine was a launch PS3. I actually thought I would be fine because I didn't think I played that much to EVER cause damage.

Anyway, there is absolutely no way I can retrieve any of the data from the HDD? I honestly could give a shit about the game saves, the pics, or any music. But I had some 2-3 minutes clips of my daughter from that I recorded with the PS3 Eye.

Thanks for all the info and help.

• Directors

NO do not put ur hdd in another system, it will imediately format it.

Follow the instructions from the Ghost thread, and you can retrieve everthing.

You can actually get your disk out by forcing a manual eject.

Shut your ps3 off in the back.

Hold you finger over the eject button, and keep it there. Turn on your ps3 in the back, and the fan will whir really loud, like it's doing a fan test, and keep your finger on the eject button until the disc pops out.

I had the light of death, but was able to get my disc out this way.

deltron0 ]

You can actually get your disk out by forcing a manual eject.

Shut your ps3 off in the back.

Hold you finger over the eject button, and keep it there. Turn on your ps3 in the back, and the fan will whir really loud, like it's doing a fan test, and keep your finger on the eject button until the disc pops out.

I had the light of death, but was able to get my disc out this way.

dont work ....

I recently had my launch go down, but Slnt_Bob came out and fixed it....he's in your clan bro, you might want to just hit him up.

You pay him (ALOT less than Sony) and ship it to him, he fixes it and ships it back. No data loss, no concern about it not working (he does excellent work!) afterwards.....

That sucks Irish. It's too bad Sony isn't fixing this shit for free since it stems from shoddy workmanship/parts. I knew that the fail rate was going to go through the roof eventually. That whole time they were claiming the first ones were just a bad batch was bullshit. Go look around and you'll see thousands of posts/blogs/etc about ps3's failing. I just backed up my data this weekend after reading a pile of failure stories, just in case mine goes too.

What happens to anything I have saved on it if I send it in? Pictures, vids, music, etc.?? Is it gone for good now?? It's gone forever if you send it in.

Also, games saves? Are they gone for good now? Will I need to rank-up again on MW2??

Your saves are gone and depending on the game you wouldn't have been able to copy it anyway cuz they are locked I couldn't copy AC2. No you won't need to Rank up again that is all uploaded on the MW2 site or whatever. You will lose all your story and Spec ops though.

Can I get all the games I purchased via the PSN store back?

Be sure to tell them to deactivate the ps3. Yes you will be able to get everything back, just go to your downloads in the playstation store.

This is the original 60gb model. If I get it fixed, are they selling pretty quick on ebay or Craig's list? Because I was thinking of just getting a newer model now, having the old one fixed and try and then sell it to recoup some of my losses. I sold my old 60g for 200$ to my buddy, I lucked out, from the looks on Ebay you wont get anything fast and you might not get your 150$ back for it and if you go to Game Stop the bastards will only give you 100$ GameCrazy will give you 140$ for it.

Oh yea, my copy of MW2 is still inside. Will they retrieve that for me and send it back with the PS3?

Yes just be sure to tell them and when they send the box for the ps3 be sure to put the game case and a note.

CZ is fixing it for me. After I get it fixed, I'm putting it on Craig's list. I figured if and when I get someone that wants an original PS3 for the card slots and backwards capabilities, I'll get a new slim then.

BTW, did this occur from anything I could have done different? Its in a well ventilated area and I make sure the vents are always clean. When this happened though, I was DL'ing a lot of crap from the PSN store. Demo's and stuff from the video store. Or was this inevitable?