Palin lashes out at `Family Guy'

JUNEAU, Alaska – Sarah Palin is lashing out at the portrayal of a character with Down syndrome on the Fox animated comedy "Family Guy."

In a Facebook posting headlined "Fox Hollywood — What a Disappointment," the 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee and current Fox News contributor said Sunday night's episode felt like "another kick in the gut." Palin's youngest son, Trig, has Down syndrome.

The episode features the character Chris falling for a girl with Down syndrome. On a date, he asks what her parents do.

She replies: "My dad's an accountant, and my mom is the former governor of Alaska."

Palin resigned as Alaska governor last summer.

Palin's oldest daughter, Bristol, also was quoted on her mother's Facebook page, calling the show's writers "heartless jerks."

"When you're the son or daughter of a public figure, you have to develop thick skin. My siblings and I all have that, but insults directed at our youngest brother hurt too much for us to remain silent," she is quoted as saying.

"If the writers of a particularly pathetic cartoon show thought they were being clever in mocking my brother and my family yesterday, they failed," Bristol Palin added in the Monday posting. "All they proved is that they're heartless jerks."

Palin wrote that she'd asked her daughter what she thought of the show and Bristol's reply was "a much more restrained and gracious statement than I want to make about an issue that begs the question: When is enough enough?"

This isn't the first time Palin has spoken out over an attack, real or perceived, on her family. Last year, she condemned a joke David Letterman made about her daughter, for which he later apologized.

A "Family Guy" publicist didn't immediately return an e-mail seeking comment

LOL ;D

meauxpack ]

its amazing what gets laughs these days, there is nothing at all clever about that. Talk about going after the low hanging fruit... ::) I don't know about everyone else, but I was always taught not to make fun of people for things they can't help, especially for things such as Down's Syndrome. I'd be upset too.

+1

leave family out of it

Lil V.C ]

havent watched episode so i wont make judgment but palin is a whore for attention... cant believe she really thinks she can run for president in 2012

I'm fairly conservative, but I couldn't agree more. That's what so shitty about that stuff: There is so much about Sarah Palin to attack, but they went for the easiest (and most offensive) joke. My family is fairly involved with the Wisconsin Special Olympics, so I may be a little more sensitive to this stuff than others, but it just shows a lack of class as well as a lack of creativity. I watched the episode and, except for that joke, I found it to be humorous and not in bad taste. It treated the character with DS as it would any other, but when they tried to draw the parallel to an actual person, and portray that innocent person in poor light, it crossed WAY over the line. Just my two cents....

meauxpack ]

its amazing what gets laughs these days, there is nothing at all clever about that. Talk about going after the low hanging fruit... ::) I don't know about everyone else, but I was always taught not to make fun of people for things they can't help, especially for things such as Down's Syndrome. I'd be upset too.

And on the other hand, that's what makes Family Guy so unique time and time again. They have no restraints which is more than any other show can say. Even if it is a sucker punch and in bad taste, Family Guy will continue to be Family Guy long after people complain. It doesn't matter what the situation is.. Family Guy will always take that and reverse it any way they can to fit it into a show and use it as their fuel. I've learned by now to never be offended by anything on TV, especially Family Guy.

Xx-CHURCHY-xX ]
meauxpack ]

And on the other hand, that's what makes Family Guy so unique time and time again. They have no restraints which is more than any other show can say. Even if it is a sucker punch and in bad taste, Family Guy will continue to be Family Guy long after people complain. It doesn't matter what the situation is.. Family Guy will always take that and reverse it any way they can to fit it into a show and use it as their fuel. I've learned by now to never be offended by anything on TV, especially Family Guy.

Amen churchy when did the world become so soft ? The very second someone does anything that the masses will get offended about then everyone passes judgment on it and says how bad and wrong it is but guess what there's that age old motto if you don't like it then turn away. Tobe honest i haven't even seen it but the fact that people are so quick to cry foul now a days is getting out of hand. Why don't we just get rid of freedom of speech and let the government tell us what is and isn't ok to say.

just saw the episode.. and i really didnt find anything there really that offenssive.. pretty much treats the girl like any other ... but does highly some down syndrome characteristics in the way.

i have a little cousin that has down syndrome and i really dont give a crap about Family guy's joke..

hell they even throw some Prican jokes sometimes.. and i still laugh my ass off!

Family Guy has had WAAAY more offensive episodes than this one.

It kinda reminds me of that episode of South Park when they made fun of Scientology. Isaac Hayes had no issue of EVERY other single religion being made fun of, until they made fun of his. Then he came out and said that was too much and he's done with the show. Wait... what?!!

Basically it boils down to this, if you were that offended by the show, don't watch it ever again. Don't buy anything that is advertised during the show. You have the power. Ba Ba Booey to you all.

I finally watched it too. I didn't see it being a direct attack against people with disabilities as much as a crotch shot to Palin. Which in all fairness, is always funny. Now maybe if Chris refused to date her because of her DS, it might have been over the top. Or quite a few other scenarios would have been uncalled for. But for crying out loud, a crotch shot to a politician is always gold. ;D

Turns out the voice actress that voiced Ellen (Down Syndrome) in that episode actually HAS Down Syndrome.

My name is Andrea Fay Friedman. I was born with Down syndrome. I played the role of Ellen on the "Extra Large Medium" episode of Family Guy that was broadcast on Valentine's day. Although they gave me red hair on the show, I am really a blonde. I also wore a red wig for my role in " Smudge" but I was a blonde in "Life Goes On". I guess former Governor Palin does not have a sense of humor. I thought the line "I am the daughter of the former governor of Alaska" was very funny. I think the word is "sarcasm".

In my family we think laughing is good. My parents raised me to have a sense of humor and to live a normal life. My mother did not carry me around under her arm like a loaf of French bread the way former Governor Palin carries her son Trig around looking for sympathy and votes.

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/18/family-guy-actress-respon_n_468331.html

Alternate: http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2010/2/18/838448/-Actor-with-Down-Syndrome-Puts-Palin-in-Her-Place-*UPDATE*

Xx-CHURCHY-xX ]

Turns out the voice actress that voiced Ellen (Down Syndrome) in that episode actually HAS Down Syndrome.

My name is Andrea Fay Friedman. I was born with Down syndrome. I played the role of Ellen on the "Extra Large Medium" episode of Family Guy that was broadcast on Valentine's day. Although they gave me red hair on the show, I am really a blonde. I also wore a red wig for my role in " Smudge" but I was a blonde in "Life Goes On". I guess former Governor Palin does not have a sense of humor. I thought the line "I am the daughter of the former governor of Alaska" was very funny. I think the word is "sarcasm".

In my family we think laughing is good. My parents raised me to have a sense of humor and to live a normal life. My mother did not carry me around under her arm like a loaf of French bread the way former Governor Palin carries her son Trig around looking for sympathy and votes.

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/18/family-guy-actress-respon_n_468331.html

Alternate: http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2010/2/18/838448/-Actor-with-Down-Syndrome-Puts-Palin-in-Her-Place-*UPDATE*

served!

Xx-CHURCHY-xX ]

so because one person with DS, who was compensated to be a part of this, sees no issue with it, it is now not offensive? I know a black dude who doesn't think 'nigger' is offensive, i guess i can use that with impunity now?

Like I said, outside of the direct shot at a 22 month old child, I didn't have any problem with the episode. I simply found it unnecessary and not at all creative.

340x.jpg

I find this offensive. Many do not. But for those that don't, put yourself in the shoes of a parent who has a child with down syndrome and then someone takes a direct shot at you and your child and then you let me know if it won't affect you.

There are SO many things to joke about in this world. Why joke about something that a child has absolutely no control over? Attack Palin all you want. She's a grown woman who can stand up for herself. Leave her family out of it.

thunder_fist ]

MacFarlane responds. He also talks about the actor's statement, and brings up Palin giving a pass to Limbaugh over his "retards" comment a few weeks ago.

http://videos.mediaite.com/video/Seth-MacFarlane-On-Bill-Maher-R

She probably game Limbaugh a "pass" because he wasn't taking cheap shots at her child.

Family Guy is stupid show anyways and quite tacky. Not suprised at how low a show will go for laughs. Of course, I've never been one to find entertaintment in such humor. A little more mentally stimulating suits me best.

thunder_fist ]

MacFarlane responds. He also talks about the actor's statement, and brings up Palin giving a pass to Limbaugh over his "retards" comment a few weeks ago.

http://videos.mediaite.com/video/Seth-MacFarlane-On-Bill-Maher-R

She probably game Limbaugh a "pass" because he wasn't taking cheap shots at her child.

Family Guy is stupid show anyways and quite tacky. Not suprised at how low a show will go for laughs. Of course, I've never been one to find entertaintment in such humor. A little more mentally stimulating suits me best.

agree