Support "Don't Let SOCOM Die"...

A recent video has come to light that Zipper has in their words "redefined and completly overhauled SOCOM 4 to accomodate a broader audience"...

The majority of people want SOCOM to be what it used to be, if you are one of those people who enjoyed SOCOM when it was SOCOM please support the cause...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dont-Let-SOCOM-Die-A-Plea-For-SOCOM-4-/361681868521?v=info

Personally, SOCOM died when it was left in the hands of a PSP game developer.

SOCOM 4 will be the rebirth of the franchise. I am trying to figure out why the things that were said in that video are so volatile for you and the people supporting this "Save SOCOM" cause.

I heard him say that there will be better graphics, a destructible environment, smarter AI in the single player, and a controller that will make the game interactive. All of that sounds pretty good to me. What are they killing?

Pathogen- ]

i'm pretty sure that new controller will flop

Agreed. It will never be better than the two analogs for hardcore gamers like a lot of us here. Maybe it will help them gain some of the more casual audience. But I doubt it. Wii owns that and probably will for the rest of this gen.

Prolog39 ]
Pathogen- ]

i'm pretty sure that new controller will flop

Agreed. It will never be better than the two analogs for hardcore gamers like a lot of us here. Maybe it will help them gain some of the more casual audience. But I doubt it. Wii owns that and probably will for the rest of this gen.

So no faith that there could be a better mousetrap in the works? I saw the E3 demo of the EARLY concept of the move and at that time it was already better then the Wii controller. Using the eye the way they are it makes it one to one on movement. Meaning that there won't be a delay. Could be better.

And besides, they continue to say that the normal controller will still be available for SOCOM 4.

How can there be a a petition to leave SOCOM the way it was?!! We don't know anything about this game yet. And I'm sorry, I don't want a 7 or 8 year game released in 2010.

The SOCOM that you are trying to save didn't die when a PSP Dev made it, it died when the PS3 was released. So far, I like what I see. Which, I might add, is very little. Hell, they haven't made ONE mention on the MP. Just that its gonna have it. Which is what I believe is the actual addiction to SOCOM... isn't it?

I say, lets wait until we get more details before we light the torches and try and storm the castle.

IRISH BULL ]

How can there be a a petition to leave SOCOM the way it was?!! We don't know anything about this game yet. And I'm sorry, I don't want a 7 or 8 year game released in 2010.

The SOCOM that you are trying to save didn't die when a PSP Dev made it, it died when the PS3 was released. So far, I like what I see. Which, I might add, is very little. Hell, they haven't made ONE mention on the MP. Just that its gonna have it. Which is what I believe is the actual addiction to SOCOM... isn't it?

I say, lets wait until we get more details before we light the torches and try and storm the castle.

I agree. However, after Socom 4 is released to worldwide critical acclaim and Zipper donkey punches Infinity Ward, I would really like Socom 2 re-released as a downloadable PSN game. I can't believe this hasn't happened yet.

meauxpack ] I would really like Socom 2 re-released as a downloadable PSN game. I can't believe this hasn't happened yet.

Have they ever released a PS2 game on the store? Thought its only been PS1 games. I would be willing to pay $9.99 for that game, to give it a try at least.

Xanthe ]

One thing I will say... when I first played and got hooked on Socom all those years ago, I never expected one day Socom would be played with a lollipop. Don't want to knock it hard yet, but Socom IMO should always be played with a normal controller! I think it's just a gimmick... 8)

But see that's the beauty of it, you don't have to play it with a "lollipop". Its available in both forms. ;) So if that's the reason people are up in arms already, it really has no merit.

And when you say "gimmick", you mean in the sense of SOCOM, right?

IRISH BULL ]
meauxpack ] I would really like Socom 2 re-released as a downloadable PSN game. I can't believe this hasn't happened yet.

Have they ever released a PS2 game on the store? Thought its only been PS1 games. I would be willing to pay $9.99 for that game, to give it a try at least.

Xanthe ]

One thing I will say... when I first played and got hooked on Socom all those years ago, I never expected one day Socom would be played with a lollipop. Don't want to knock it hard yet, but Socom IMO should always be played with a normal controller! I think it's just a gimmick... 8)

But see that's the beauty of it, you don't have to play it with a "lollipop". Its available in both forms. ;) So if that's the reason people are up in arms already, it really has no merit.

And when you say "gimmick", you mean in the sense of SOCOM, right?

Of coarse. The "lollipop" might work, and I won't knock it if it does. But I've always thought of Socom as one of the most mature shooters out there. Hard to see it that way now. I won't be using it unless it happens to be the only way to the play the game accurately. Till then it'll stay a gimmick in my mind.

Horseless carriages were gimmicks

The airplane is a gimmick

The telephone is a gimmick

The 8-Track is a gimmick (Man I wish those would have stuck around)

The internet is a gimmick

Online gaming, which Zipper and SOCOM: US Navy SEALS set the mark was a gimmick

3D TV is a gimmick and will go the way of Beta cassettes

What I'm getting at is why cry before the milk is spilled.

Sgt.JoeFriday ]

Horseless carriages were gimmicks

The airplane is a gimmick

The telephone is a gimmick

The 8-Track is a gimmick (Man I wish those would have stuck around)

The internet is a gimmick

Online gaming, which Zipper and SOCOM: US Navy SEALS set the mark was a gimmick

3D TV is a gimmick and will go the way of Beta cassettes

What I'm getting at is why cry before the milk is spilled.

To each their own, it looks tacky to me, my opinion alone I guess. Looking at it makes me think of...

overview_300.jpg

... that item certainly made waves didn't it? 8)

• Directors

We must all keep in mind that everything we saw in terms of the S4 video....was a "pre-alpha build".

Meaning....we're still a few steps away from anything resembling the actual game. Fact is, the environment, characters, functionality, and practically everything we saw in the footage, may not even end up in the finished product.

With that being said, and with the exception of The Move, I did like alot of what I saw.

Viva La Zipper!!!!

Xanthe ]

The Move will do ok. They are trying to give the MOVE credibility with the whole "even a hardcore gamers game" will have an option to use it.

As far as saving Socom, pfffft, if is stops evolving, then it truly is dead. It is too bad that /6 executed poorly. If the things they tried to do, would have worked from the get go, there wouldn't be all these haters. The thing they added to Socom(except running) were cool, they just didn't ever work 100% right.

I'm now of the opinion that Zipper/Sony decided to give /6 the game because they KNEW /6 couldn't do it. Then they could swoop in and be the saviors. :-X

You have to remember this was not so much an S4 announcement as it was a move announcement and Sony/Zipper selling the fact that you can play a quality shooter with the move. I have some faith in the company which brought this beloved franchise to the Play station brand and think they will do ok with it in the end. A hell of a lot better than /6 did with it anyway. The people who want an exact Socom 2 replica will probably never be happy unless maybe someday they sell that game on the PSN store with better graphics.

In a thread titled "No one is hearing your cries vets" Jeremy Dunham Zipper employee and Socom community manager posted this.

Not true.

We hear 'em.

And again, you guys haven't seen anything yet.

I'm promise you, we haven't forgotten about the core.

I'm actually excited that we're going to prove that to you in the next few months.

Crusty_Demons ]

You have to remember this was not so much an S4 announcement as it was a move announcement and Sony/Zipper selling the fact that you can play a quality shooter with the move. I have some faith in the company which brought this beloved franchise to the Play station brand and think they will do ok with it in the end. A hell of a lot better than /6 did with it anyway. The people who want an exact Socom 2 replica will probably never be happy unless maybe someday they sell that game on the PSN store with better graphics.

In a thread titled "No one is hearing your cries vets" Jeremy Dunham Zipper employee and Socom community manager posted this.

Not true.

We hear 'em.

I'm actually excited that we're going to prove that to you in the next few months.

You da man Crusty.

Oh and WTF was that a picture of BB?

BacklasH ]
Crusty_Demons ]

Not true.

We hear 'em.

You da man Crusty.

Oh and WTF was that a picture of BB?

You don't remember that item Backlash? A company came out with that product, I think it was called Frag FX or something like that, anyway, it let you control Socom and other shooters on the PS2 with a mouse for more precision. I bought it too see if it was more precise and it was. The only problem was when you tried running and turning quickly like you have to in Socom, it would never turn as fast as you needed it too so in short it was useless unless you were always proned out sniping. >:(