What a Legal Marijuana Economy Would Look Like

Found this today and found it hella cool..

How everyone stands to benefit from ending the war on weed.

This fall Californians will go the polls with a chance to make history. They will be able to cast a vote to tax and regulate marijuana like alcohol or cigarettes. California’s Proposition 19 is one of many similar initiatives cropping up on state ballots across the country.

Whether it’s calls for decriminalization or medical marijuana the end of cannabis prohibition has never seemed closer. In this short animated parable, “The Flower,†award winning artist Haik Hoisington contrasts a legal marijuana economy with an illegal one, to show how everyone stands to benefit from ending the war on weed.

“The Flower†contrasts a utopian society that freely farms and consumes a pleasure giving flower with a society where the same flower is illegal and its consumption is prohibited. The animation is a meditation on the social and economic costs of marijuana prohibition.

http://truthisscary.com/?p=2202

I find it interesting to see how this all unfolds. As far as total legality goes, once that happens employers will have to treat it like Alcohol. They cannot discriminate against consummation of alcohol as long as it doesn't affect the work stature of the individual. In my field I wonder if it will ever be "totally legal." That field being law enforcement.

o-BacklasH-o;814901']I find it interesting to see how this all unfolds. As far as total legality goes' date=' once that happens employers will have to treat it like Alcohol. They cannot discriminate against consummation of alcohol as long as it doesn't affect the work stature of the individual. In my field I wonder if it will ever be "totally legal." That field being law enforcement.[/quote']

I am no law major but I doubt this to be true especially in the beginning. As time goes on the rules may get relaxed a bit but in the beginning there is likely to be the same random drug tests and punishments by employers. Also I believe that if an employer knows your coming to work drunk but can't prove it he will just find another way to fire you.

The problem with marijuana is that it metabolizes much slower than alcohol. You can smoke and then days later your drug test will show it in your system. Not true with alcohol. The question is how do they regulate that?

At my husband's job, if you get hurt to the point that stitches are required or you wreck a vehicle, that is grounds for immediate drug testing. Assuming it's legal, what happens when you test positive for marijuana that was smoked days ago? It will be interesting to see how employers handle that.

Well, the good part is, you CAN tell when someone is high. All stoners think they can hide it, but they can't. Maybe from people that are clueless, or haven't ever seen them sober, but that would be it. And unlike alcohol you can't blame the red-eyes, sluggishness from partying the night before. Now I'm sure that loads of people would start going to work stoned, but I really think any employer worth his paycheck would be able to tell . They really couldn't use a positive drug test against you because of what Hippie said. I have a buddy that was forced into rehab by his family, he was a chronic smoker, every day all day. At an in-house treatment facility it took 72 days for him to pass a urine test. So a guy that smoked everyday after work would never pass, unless they figure out a test that is more accurate.

The thing about drug testing is that MJ is in your system for 30 days unlike alcohol. so if you got hurt, & they tested you 2 weeks after you smoked they might not be liable for your medical. ;)

But the main thing is that dealers & growers, are going to be screwed for a while.. they pay HUGE electric bills & the cost of weed is going to drop so far that they are going to take a huge loss.. the only way it will be worth growing is if you can do it cheap. like Mass quantity or outdoors.

Crusty I was referring to if the FEDERAL ban is lifted. As long as it is only State Law that allows the sale and use of it, then employers can continue to drug test and fire positive testers. If the Federal ban is lifted it would then be unconstitutional to oppress someone for smoking weed in the privacy of their own home. As long as it does not carry over into the work place, then it would have to be treated like alcohol. We're just now talking about it finally being ratified in several states. I still think it will be a long time, if ever, that the Federal ban is amended.

Also someone touched on this. One of the major arguments for legalization is that it would cripple the cartels and small time drug dealers alike. While there are other drugs out there that are being sold, Marijuana remains the largest cash crop in the Country by far.

I think that depends on how much much the states and or feds will be willing to jack up the taxes. Cartels and home growers alike will probably do ok when the government decides to raise the prices on weed like they have cigarettes.

There have been suits brought to court to try and get people to stop smoking tobacco in their own homes and tobacco is legal. So I don't think lifting the national ban would solve all the issues. I heard a story a short while back that a homeowners association wouldn't let a US military veteran have an American flag in his front window. So let's how peoples HOA's feel about pot smoking. :rofl:

I think you might be getting a little ahead of yourself there Lash truth be told no one has any clue on what all the rules will be. The only thing you can be sure off is there will be a lot of them.

o-BacklasH-o;814929']I still think it will be a long time' date=' if ever, that the Federal ban is amended.[/quote']

Believe me, I'm not getting ahead of myself. Like I said above, who knows when IF ever it will be lifted. Until that point employers are safe from stoner workers LOL.

If things continue on the path they are going they may have no choice but to make it legal for the tax revenue alone. If things work and are profitable in Cali I think that will set the tone for the feds. Of course they could just cut taxes and spending and that would solve a lot of problems on it's own. It will be interesting to see how this year and the years to come play out.

Lol I don't do it either way legal or illegal but it would slow down dealers for a while then I think they would bring in more meth and all that but bleh who knows. I just wonder if dealers would jump up and pop in to vote no lol, or if there would be any stupid enough to vote yes without thinking that they would kill their way of making money. I also would like to see the dealer who lived under the rock on the day they pass a law like that, I can picture him like who's the mother effer killing my prices haha like really a dime for a actual dime bag, yup walmart foo they, shut you down hahahaha...

That is a reality.. the prices might not be much different for the consumer, but the amount a grower gets will go WAY down.!!

Instead of a farmer making a lot, he'll make way less, & the bulk of it will go to taxes.

Eitherway im fine with it. :)

o-BacklasH-o;814996']Sounds like you are talking from experience. ;)

Pfft who isn't?

Lets all be honest we may not do it or bleh bleh but we have either been in the room,car whatever while its been done, or done it straight up anyway...lol its just that common shit sometimes I think its more likely to find a joint or a bag in someones pocket then it is to find a cig around these parts(Richmond, CA).

Not going to get into any political debate here, but all I'm going to say is that there will be no revenue made by "taxing the sale of marijuana." Marijuana is a plant and it will grow anywhere. People aren't going to buy this in a store, they're going to buy this from friends (no tax). So that whole arguement is void.

willywonka159;815015']Not going to get into any political debate here' date=' but all I'm going to say is that there will be no revenue made by "taxing the sale of marijuana." Marijuana is a plant and it will grow anywhere. People aren't going to buy this in a store, they're going to buy this from friends (no tax). So that whole arguement is void.[/quote']

See thats just the point.. not at all.!! (you are dead wrong, in my opinion)

The Gov is going to mass produce it so they will be able to sell it cheaper than "your buddy" so your buddy wont be able to afford to grow a couple of plants, the only way to compete with Gov. weed will be to Mass produce it.!

They are going to turn selling weed into Walmart.. which will kill the mom & pop side of it, just like we do in America. lol

PS. GOOD weed wont just grow anywhere.. that is the kicker, people will be able to grow & sell homegrown, but it will never compare to what can be done if you spend time & money on it. ;)

PPS. I'm no grower, but i do know that if i find extra money in my bank account, you might find a package on your doorstep. ;)

Edited by Chili327

I have not engaged in smoking mary jane in over 18 months nor do I plan to again anytime soon, but I will say if I was a stoner/mary jane enthusiast I wouldn't be buying from the government. Simply for the reason that mass produced weed will be bland and weak most likely. For example take the big 3 beer makers. Coors, Bud and Miller. Yeah its cheap but it doesn't taste damn near as good as microbrews and imports. In conclusion if my dealer stays open I'd stay with him over Wal-Mart.