Good Cops

Guest [APC]Swifthawk

The only way that I currently know one can become a police officer without attending AT LEAST a 2yr tech school/academy or a 4-year is if the person starts out in a jail and works his/her way up through the hierarchy.

I've seen this done ONCE in our hometown.. by a friend of mine, but he spent so many years working the shit job in the county jail before the sherrif elected to have him start on patrol, and even then they sent him to academy for training.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Arch its differs from department to department. Used to be you had to have a minmum of 60 hours college credit. Now you only have to have a GED in many cases.

Deutscher75 ]

increasing the requirements wouldn't cause departments to put out more money other than in Salary, which is directly related to having a degree

Right. With the exception of the word salary thats pretty much what I said.

By the way having a degree doesn't make you one bit smarter at all I know of a lot of stupid people who have degrees, as a matter of fact most departments that still require a degree don't care what your degree is in. You could have a degree in basket weaving for all they care.

Basically it comes down to the fact that those with degrees will compare professions before committing to one. In doing so they will see that police officers make little money compared to other professions. And they make this small amount of money while working in a hostile environment. An environment that is not only thankless but because of the daily stresses causes many problems for officers in their personal lives ranging from health to family.

So if a department wanted to attract a smarter breed of cop they would need to first start by increasing the starting pay. Buy lowering the requirements they have systematically allowed a few bad apples to get through the doors.

Deutscher75 ]

the education requirements would be the responsibility of the individual who wants to be an officer and there would be no reimbursement

Right. If those looking to become officers were required to have a degree prior to applying then the cost would most certainly be their responsibility.

A large majority of departments offer tuition reimbursement for current officers who want to work towards a degree.

IMO and experience, a degree does not mean shit in this profession. In fact, departments that recently started to require one are now finding out they aren't getting the "best people" for the job. It takes a certain kind of person to do this job, and a college diploma doesn't make you that person automatically.

If certain people have a problem with the police, they always will. Nothing Snake or I say will ever change that. Just remember if you do have a confrontation with the police on the street, YOU WILL NOT WIN. Save it for the court room, for your safety and the police officers.

This argument will go on till the end of time. I'm gonna end my part with this, if you haven't done the job, don't begin for one minute to understand it, period.

Guest [iLL] Andawg

While it is easily agreed that there are good and bad cops everywhere, the definition of "bad" being relative, there are, I feel regional differences. I have lived and traveled almost all over the U.S., I also have members of my family on the force all over the U.S. including the "bad" part of town in Chicago.

The only true assessment of law enforcement around the U.S. I can give is that the southeast i.e. The Carolinas, Florida, and Georgia have the Fattest, and dumbest with the biggest power tripin cops in the country. It's amazing to me to see a patrol officer struggle to get out of his car to issue a ticket. In Oregon where I grew up, everyone I knew took the badge and there job seriously. They were fair, smart, and in shape. The kind you actually might have trouble running from.

A good cop to me uses their turn signal! ::)

Guest SuddenRedScare
Snake Doctor ]

Keep this in mind: You don't have the right to resist arrest.  Not even a little bit.

Actually, to be charged with resisting arrest, you need to use actual physical force against the officer. I would know because I'm majoring in Criminal Justice.

Great thread by the way. I just needed to correct you there, however statutes do vary by state.

I totally agree with you guys.. they do have a thankless job, & that a degree doesn't make you smarter or qualified to do the job..

but i also have a story to tell about this.. lol

IrshZ28 ]

Just remember if you do have a confrontation with the police on the street, YOU WILL NOT WIN.

My buddy got pulled over with a lot of weed in the car

the cop said "is that marijuana.?"

my friend said "yes it is"

the cop said "step out of the car" (giving him probable cause)

he searched the car found a few ounces & pipes n shyt, so he conficated it. & told my friend to go on his way, but when my friend pulled out his Medical Growers Card

the cop said "i dont give a shyt about that bullshyt card" stating that he personally didn't agree with the medical BS laws

My friends said "look man i know how much im allowed to carry in this county"

Eventually the cop had to give back the weed.! ..lol

(can you imagine a cop giving back weed to a person ;D)

SuddenRedScare ]
Snake Doctor ]

Keep this in mind: You don't have the right to resist arrest.  Not even a little bit.

Actually, to be charged with resisting arrest, you need to use actual physical force against the officer.  I would know because I'm majoring in Criminal Justice.

Great thread by the way.  I just needed to correct you there, however statutes do vary by state.

You may want to re-read your text books.

Using physical force against a police officer raises the charge to aggravated battery to a police officer. Which is a class 3 felony in the state of Illinois.

Simply pulling away from an officer while they are trying to restrain you could lead to resisting charges. At the least its an obstruction charge.

no offense to anyone,there no such thing as a good cop,just a gang with a uniform,and no im not talking bad about the profession,after growing up in ft.worth,living in other various cities,u change ure opinion real quick,they either fanatics,or racist,or militant w/o ever being in the military,if u know what i mean,if u are or know a good cop,then consider yourself lucky.

CrImSoN_gUaRd ]

no offense to anyone,there no such thing as a good cop,just a gang with a uniform,and no im not talking bad about the profession,after growing up in ft.worth,living in other various cities,u change ure opinion   real quick,they either fanatics,or racist,or militant w/o ever being in the military,if u know what i mean,if u are or know a good cop,then consider yourself lucky.

:D

Guest KingJunk

I only looked over some of the replies here, but I live in Detroit and the cops here ain't shit if you ask me! I will never dial 911 for the Police! Now for the Macomb Sheriff's fuck them too I simply just hate cops because they never come when I need them, or they are fucking with me for no reason at all so fuck'em!!

Here a few of my stories

I once got car jacked, and it was about 3:00am and I gave up the car with no problem, but I go to call the police just to get the word out, and I am sure its not hard to find an ALL white Mustang @ 3am, but anyway a fucking Cop did not show up until noon talking about "I am here for a disturbance call," I was like Bitch, I got car jacked hours ago" and slammed the door in his face!

Here is another story me and a buddy of mine got pulled over and the cops illegally searched his car, and they were fucking his shit up, and he was yelling and cursing and shit, but he was in cuffs and 1 of the cops came over and was like "Let me give you something to yell about" and then snapped my boy pinky's out while still in the cuffs.

I once got pulled over for a DWB and yes a DWB, and I did not do anything just minding my own business and the cops talking about my car was reported stolen so they put me in the squad car, and I am thinking they just need to run my plates and check my ID, and they will see that everything belongs to me boy ohh boy was I wrong these fuckers said they had to take me in, and I am in the back talking shit telling them they are just fucking with me because I am Black and I drive a nice car and was saying shit like, they had nothing better to do among some other not so nice shit, but then these fuckers took off real fast and then stopped real hard and my face hit that metal fence so hard it was not even funny!

I can keep going about all my run ins with the police, but I rather not, but I will say this, they are 1 of the main reason I got my CCW because I will not put my family in their hands they can just show and take a report and get the body/bodies up if anybody ever invades my home, and I got the lovely sign posted in my house that says " Fuck dialing 911, I dial 357" and outside, I got " nevermind the dog beware of the owner"

I know cops do good things and yes not all of them go noticed to the public, but I just can't give a good story that involves me and cops, we just don't mix like Tupac and Biggie!!

Last, but not least all this happened in the view of my own eyes :o

maybe,when they hire ,they should do some kinda psychology test,rigerious one that test them under high stress,to sort out the bipolar in the nations PD,bc im with several ppl on here about the police we seem to get the shitty ones,but in said that ,i still believe the UF community, that there ones who do there job,with respect and valor,ill respect a cop anytime if they are good people,just doing there job,and not putting on a show pretending they are good,so they can keep there job.but i think cities our to cheap to spend on good programs,much less pay raises,to the police and fireman who deserve them,and only the ones who deserve them. ps-all firemen deserve raises.or any other profession dedicated to saving lives,thats my more explained thoughts on the subject,just because i have bad experiences i still have open mind,but in saying that,the previous places i lived i still feel the same about the police,until they hire good ppl,

Pancaked!!! We call it a screen test!!!!! I am not going to sit there and blow smoke up your you know what and say that there aren't bad cops..because there are. Like any profession there are bad seeds.

But to sit there and read story after story about "How I did nothing wrong" is just insulting to me and should be insulting to anyone that reads it. Do you really think that we are all that stupid that the cops "picked" on you for no reason. Please..cops have better things to do than pic on your sorry ass for nothing!! Every single one of you that has a dislike for the cops has had an experience with the cops..yes EVERY one of you..even you that has never done anything illegal..please!!! Ya we drive around in our police cars looking for African Americans or Hispanics that are driving nicer cars than us...WHATEVER!!! GROW UP!!!!!

Bottom line is when YOU need us you like us and when you don't...well we pick on you!!!!

To my brothers in law enforcement keep up the great work and stay safe out there.

Rockman35 ]

Pancaked!!! We call it a screen test!!!!! I am not going to sit there and blow smoke up your you know what and say that there aren't bad cops..because there are. Like any profession there are bad seeds.

But to sit there and read story after story about "How I did nothing wrong" is just insulting to me and should be insulting to anyone that reads it. Do you really think that we are all that stupid that the cops "picked" on you for no reason. Please..cops have better things to do than pic on your sorry ass for nothing!! Every single one of you that has a dislike for the cops has had an experience with the cops..yes EVERY one of you..even you that has never done anything illegal..please!!! Ya we drive around in our police cars looking for African Americans or Hispanics that are driving nicer cars than us...WHATEVER!!! GROW UP!!!!!

Bottom line is when YOU need us you like us and when you don't...well we pick on you!!!!

To my brothers in law enforcement keep up the great work and stay safe out there.

YES they do ,seriously u think that doesn't happen, and that u automatically did something wrong,so its your fault,i cant believe the denial that ppl put up,that because ure cop and ppl talk on what happens u take it as personal,maybe im missing something, but to say they dont do that,is a insult to any taxpayer, i understand u take pride in what u do,and take up for your buddies,but your buddies and you work in one area,out of a nation,u may be good and all that,but dont tell us this dont happen.when in fact it does,thats like saying theres no such thing as crime,we need police,never said, we didnt need police but we need good ppl, more in some places than others,im sorry if that offends you because im not trying too,but thats straight up denial is what continues the problem,call me crook then i dont care,bc thats part of the mentality im talking bout,we never do nothing wrong its all you

Rockman35 ]

Pancaked!!! We call it a screen test!!!!!  I am not going to sit there and blow smoke up your you know what and say that there aren't bad cops..because there are. Like any profession there are bad seeds.

That is as shitty a blanket statement as "ALL COPS SUXORS!!1". I live in a smaller town now, and there is a shitload of DWB and profiling bullshit that goes on around here. Don't sit there all high and mighty saying it doesn't happen. It happens all the time. Maybe you don't do it, but plenty of your "brethren" do it all over the country.

Guest KingJunk

Each time me and my friends were pulled over we were in a car similar to this one

11u8dhu.jpg

Now be honest when you see two black guys driving this what do you think?

Do you cops say wow thats a nice car or there goes another drug dealer lets pull them over!!

I am not gone lie I used to be that way also when I was younger, but I graduated High School and got a job and bought one on my own and started to hang with some peeps that drove the same type of cars and most of them had jobs.

The story with my boy when them cops snapped his pinkies out we truly did NOTHING!! Seat belts were on he was not speeding nor did he do any illegal turns or anything we was just driving like everybody else on the road. Yeah he did have a nice sound system, but it was not blasting and when we spotted them he turned his speakers off so they could not have heard it over the traffic and from the distance they were.

When the cops pulled me over and told me my car was reported stolen, what was the deal then? They checked all my info and everything matched, so why the need to take me in? I had no warrant's nor did I start acting a fool until they said they had to take me in?

I am NOT saying that ALL cops are bad cops, but we do not mix!

Guest KingJunk
Rockman35 ]

1. Why do I have to be a "sorry ass" I am grown and I do know right from wrong so when I say I was doing nothing at that time I mean it!

2. Like I stated in that same post I made I do not bother to call the cops for SHIT and I mean that!

3. I know cops have better things to do then "pick on me" trust me I tell them every time they fuck with me for no reason at all!

4. I am not saying that every time a cop has pulled me over I did nothing wrong, but when I truly have done nothing wrong that's when the bull shit happens. I have had a few tickets and I went to court and either the cop did not show up and the ticket was dropped or I paid it.

My problem is that some cops think they are above the law and that's what gets to me also!!

Seriously Junk..whats the car got to do with it and why would you think that ALL the cops think is that there goes another drug dealer!!! Again with your own stereotypes!! That is just ridiculous.

If you don't want to call the cops for help then that is your business....but I bet if you and I sat down and had a 1 on 1 HONEST talk about your run ins with the cops...I could point out to you where YOU went wrong.

In the instance where your car was reported stolen..come on what aren't you telling us...who was the car registered to..someone else right...wife/girlfriend parents...because if you were driving a car that was registered to you then you would not have been brought in...unless during the course of the stolen vehicle investigation they found some other crime was being comitted and you were charged with that...come on..tell us..really..what happened.

Also I never said that some officers don't profile...I also admitted that there are some bad seeds in our profession..every profession has them....what I did say is that anyone that posts up that they "DID NOTHING WRONG" and the cops picked on them..is not telling the whole story. But do me a favor...go sit on the side of a road some night where the speed limit is 30+ MPH and count how many people that you can honestly SEE inside a moving MV and tell me their skin color!!!