80gb PS3

Chili-Palmer ]
SHANE23 ]

The 20, 60 and 80 are backwards compatible.

I never heard that before..

Shane..?

The 40GB is the only model that clearly says that it is not backward compatible. If I remember correctly the 20 and 60 have the chip and the 80 has software emulation that makes it compatible where as the 40 took out all options of making it backward compatible. Why you couldn't have the software emulation on the 40GB is beyond me.

60's were discontinued, 20's were discontinued, which would result in both of them being hard to find both at release were backwards compatible, and that hasnt changed.

The 40 is NOT backwards compatible to reduce costs, they removed the "emotion engine" (the processing brain of the PS2.)

The 80 is backwards compatible.

I have heard rumors, and have read a few articles where sony is considering discontinuing the 80 gig for one with a larger hard drive, possibly 120 to compete with Microsofts 360 Elite package. That rumor also included that it may actually be cheaper than what the 80 gig is currently selling for. Again, sony denied it, but... we've seen many rumors be true in the past by sony. (aka price drop for ps3's which they denied for a while)

NEO-X ]

Sony is considering discontinuing the 80 gig for one with a larger hard drive, possibly 120 to compete with Microsofts 360 Elite package.  That rumor also included that it may actually be cheaper than what the 80 gig is currently selling for. 

Thats what im waiting for.. whatever the new one ends up as.!

(100gb, 120 gb, or even a 140gb to out-do the Elite possibly)