Who's getting this on the 26th?

Guest H.A.V.0.C

Guest H.A.V.0.C

On the PS3, Rainbow Six Vegas exhibits few graphical improvements over the 360 version. Nothing wrong with that, of course -- it still stands out as one of the best-looking shooters around. It's the logical procession of the graphical muscle in Advanced Warfighter and the ambience in the Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia games. Although the settings are mostly indoors, the maps are large and richly detailed. The game opens with a prologue in a dusty Mexican border town that serves as a visual palette cleanser. But then the action smash cuts to the streets of Las Vegas, full of color and light and fire and product placement.

By setting the action in Las Vegas, the artists have license to get crazy, throwing into the levels all manner of glittering things waiting to be shattered by an errant bullet. Slot machines spitting out coins is just the tip of the delicate glass and crystal iceberg. At one point, there's a firefight in a multi-storied indoor atrium, with the Rainbow team and terrorists trading fire from across multiple balconies. In between are hanging ornate light fixtures that are there for no other reason than to be shot up. And because this is Vegas, you'd expect this sort of gaudy display of glasswork and color. Short of having wall-sized fish tanks that spill out fish and water, this is as advanced as gun-induced mayhem gets, easily on par with F.E.A.R.

The levels are linear, unwinding in a predetermined sequence. But they aren't laid out as corridors so much as linked tactical challenges, each wide with possibility. It's largely dynamic, but there are enough bits of scripting to keep it interesting. There's nothing like a half dozen terrorists rappelling in on your to keep you on your toes. Which raises the question, why are terrorists rappelling into someplace where they're supposedly holed up? Never mind that. There's plenty of amazing gunplay going on before your eyes to keep you occupied.

Online, Rainbow Six Vegas delivers an impressive suite of options. Indeed, you could almost be forgiven for thinking you were playing the 360 version on Xbox Live, and that's high praise. The persistent character development system of unlocks from the 360 is here, so as you play online you'll gradually gain access to more and more specialized weapons, armor, and other kit. Invites and messaging are also supported.

Five new maps join the original 15. At its original release, Vegas quickly became one of the most played games on Xbox Live, where it remains to this day, and given the sparse selection of online games on the PS3 you can safely expect it to become extremely popular. If you're feeling the need for a robust PS3 online experience, Rainbow Six Vegas has everything you need.

It's a real pleasure to see Rainbow Six given such royal treatment, particularly if you're a fan of the series. But even if you just like gunplay, this is a great time for shooter fans, whose embarrassment of riches just got even more embarrassing. At last, Rainbow Six is back among the best of the best.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest H.A.V.0.C
smokeosama ]
-Fury ]

FPS > Socom

I wouldn't go that far. I like first person, but not more than third person.

Yeah I agree with that. I just hope its NOT just respawn.

Even thought it is 1st person, it doesn't feel as much like it as other FPS games. Since you take cover a lot it just feels better.

And it is only respawn if you play in a respawn room. Co-op "Story" & "Terrorist Hunt" are the best.!

I'll be getting it since it's really the only thing good out for the PS3 at the moment.  Make sure you send out those PS3 invites so we will have some cool ass peeps to play with instead of annoying ass kids.

This game lagged a lot on the 360 and you would constantly hear the fire of guns of those that are lagging. If you go to http://www.gamespot.com and watch the trailer, it hasn't changed for the PS3 either. I can't believe they didn't edit that out, but overall it's a pretty decent game.

PS3ID  - ReaperCell

Cuz

Guest H.A.V.0.C
Chili-Palmer ]

Even thought it is 1st person' date=' it doesn't feel as much like it as other FPS games. Since you take cover a lot it just feels better.

And it is only respawn if you play in a respawn room. Co-op "Story" & "Terrorist Hunt" are the best.!

[/quote']

Is that only if your in a respawn room? but what I want to know is there going to be demo's missions and things like that? can you make a room so that its not respawn? I hate killing some one and then have to kill them 30 seconds later again.

Yes there are many types of games you can set a room up with. Capture the flag type of stuff, every man for themselves elimination, team elimination, etc..

What im saying is that the Co-op stuff is usually better/more fun.! (4 real players vs 50 AI guys.. AWESOME.!) & you can set the respawn or i should say extra lives to zero, 3, 5, or 9 (i think)

It's a great game, but it is NOT Socom. ;)

Guest H.A.V.0.C
Chili-Palmer ]

Yes there are many types of games you can set a room up with. Capture the flag type of stuff' date=' every man for themselves elimination, team elimination, etc..

What im saying is that the Co-op stuff is usually better/more fun.! (4 real players vs 50 AI guys.. AWESOME.!) & you can set the respawn or i should say extra lives to zero, 3, 5, or 9 (i think)

It's a great game, but it is NOT Socom. ;)

[/quote']

Nothing is ever going to be like Socom. :'(

All I have to say is after ALL the delays for RB6 there has BETTER BE VOiP!!! I don't know how in the world they left it out of COD3 for the PS3 and some other games but I will not buy RB6 until I KNOW there is , Clan, friends and communication! Some developers have REALLY dropped the ball on PS3 shooters.

.Cuz_ ]

I don't think there is a clan option for R6, 360 version that is.  On the 360 you had to join from your Xbox Live list (Non ranked games) or sent a invite for ranked games.  I might be wrong, just can't remember.

Cuz

There really isn't a clan page that shows your roster, but it does give a clan tag option.