Question for Parents with young children

OK I have 6yr old daughter in 1st grade she is learning her sight words and has homework at night that we are required to go over with her.

So lastnight I go through her book and there are several words that they will be going over soon.

So they ask am to pronounce the words for her and she is suppose to describe each of them in her own words.

I will post the words you tell me what you think you would tell your child, nephew, niece, cousin what ever?

I will post the children's dictionary definitions later today for you to see.

Animal

Wolf

Dog

Coyote

Fox

Insect

Mammal

Reptile

MaCoo_ ]

Yes - What definition would you give them for each?

LOL Don't bite people !! I can see a child asking mom and dad for help with homework, but a Dad asking an online gaming community to do his 6 yr olds homework is pushing it ! LOL ;D

As you know, I am not a parent and only 18, but I was a camp counselor with 1st-5th graders throughout the summer, so I will give this one a crack. Let me know if it is any help.

Animal- Animals are any living, moving and breathing thing on earth that is not a plant. Even Humans are considered a type of animal.

Dog- A type of animal that lives in houses and are pets for people. They are friendly and nice animals with four legs, a tail and fur. When they are happy, they will lick people and wag their tail, when they are mad, they will bite and bark loudly. There are a lot of different types of dogs, with different color fur, different sizes and different shapes.

Wolf- A wolf is a big dog that does not live in houses. Wolves live in forests and mountains. They are bigger than normal dogs, and have bigger teeth because they have to catch their own food.

Coyote- A coyote is another big dog that does not live in houses. Coyotes mostly live in the desert, and like the wolf, have bigger teeth because they have to catch their own food. People believe that when there is a full moon, coyotes howl at it.

Fox- A fox is another wild dog that does not live in houses. It is much smaller than the coyote and wolf, but still has sharp teeth for eating the food it can find. Foxes live all over the world including mountains, forests, towns, deserts and snowy places like the north pole.

Insect- An insect is simply another word for a bug. The reason they are called insects is because their bodies are broken into different parts.

****(I don't know what definition you want for this one, sometimes insects are any inverterbrate (without a backbone, that is segmented. A more precise definition refers to an arthropod, which means it has an exterior shell, that has a head, abdomen and thorax, and ONLY 3 pairs of legs and one or two pairs of wings. The second definition would not include all bugs, it would leave out Spiders, Caterpillars, Centipedes...ect.)****

Mammal- Although many mammals have fur, lay eggs and breathe air, what makes a mammal is something called a mammary gland. The mammary gland allows the mammal to make milk in order to feed, and take care of its babies.

***( I think it is important to try and explain about the mammary gland. I actually just went over this in my college Animal Science course, and not one student knew the exact definition of a mammal, including myself. Answers like live birth, fur, and breathe air came up, but none of those specifically describe mammals. I was always told fur was the defining factor when I was little and until a couple days ago, still thought that.)***

Reptile- A reptile is an animal that has cold blood and scales. Cold blood means that their blood cannot warm up on its own like mammals. In order to warm their blood up, reptiles go out into the sun and sit really still. Also, most reptiles lay eggs to make babies.

Hope this helped!

MaCoo_ ]

Here let me clear this up a bit I am not asking for help, I am looking for honest people to look at this and say could I come up with an accurate description? :-\

Thanks for playing.. Please drive-thru. ;D

It was a joke, come on, I thought it was pretty obvious. LOL

Chili-Palmer ]

I'd say Maverick did an excellent job.. but i think i would add in there somewhere the word "Wild" to help differentiate between Dogs & Wolves, Coyote' etc.. (actually i would add & explain both words "wild" & "pets")

That, and they really aren't that much bigger than dogs, especially Coyotes. Wolves are taller and leaner.

Chili-Palmer ]

I'd say Maverick did an excellent job.. but i think i would add in there somewhere the word "Wild" to help differentiate between Dogs & Wolves, Coyote' etc.. (actually i would add & explain both words "wild" & "pets")

No your right his are great I was just curious what some would be able to come up or would think a 6yr old would be able to come up with.

She goes from a list of words like: an, the, egg, cat, Monday, green, blue etc...

Too ok have them describe these......

I will post the definitions according to a children's dictionary.

Source: Scholastic - Children's Dictionary

Answers:

Animal: Any living creature that can breathe, and move about.

Wolf: A dog like mammal that hunts in packs for their prey.

Dog: A four legged mammal that is often kept as a pet.

Coyote: An animal that looks like a small wolf, and is native to the western United States.

Fox: A wild animal related to the dog with thick fur, a pointed nose and ears, and a bushy tail.

Insect: A small creature with three pairs of legs, one or two pairs of wings, three main sections to its body, an exoskeleton, and no backbone.

Mammal: A warm blooded animal with a backbone.

Reptile: A cold blooded animal that crawls across the ground, or creeps on short legs.

Animal - This is your mom when she is horny.

Wolf - This is your dad when at the club.

Dog - This is your aunt.

Coyote - This is a date that where you would rather chew your arm off then wake her up.

Fox - This is the hot chick that dad met at the club.

Insect - Something the Fox gave your dad after the club.

Mammal - The fat chick hanging out with the Fox.

Reptile - What your dad slipped to the fox.

What do I win?

SHANE23 ]

Dog - This is your aunt.

Coyote - This is a date that where you would rather chew your arm off then wake her up.

What do I win?

Not sure you win anything but it was funny as hell. ;D

MAVERICK3324 ]

Mammal- Although many mammals have fur, lay eggs and breathe air, what makes a mammal is something called a mammary gland. The mammary gland allows the mammal to make milk in order to feed, and take care of its babies.

Very good definitions Maverick, but am I the only one that caught that most mammals DON'T lay eggs?? Unless you're talking about a Duckbilled Platypus

SHANE23 ]

Dog - This is your aunt.

What do I win?

that is the best answer