Story by: CritiKiL
I wrote about this a couple of weeks ago but it was vague in nature. This time I’m bringing you all the Full Story, about how this project got started and who the participants are who helped make the ‘Ultimate Battlefield: 3 Simulator’…come to life. In the UK, Channel 5 has a program called The Gadget Show and they cover in-dept how this awesome Simulator started. On paper, what they’ve done sounds like a simple gimmick that will get plenty of people thinking “it’ll never work”. But the results were quite surprising when it all came to life!
First off, in order to build the Ultimate Gaming Experience The Gadget Show used an “Igloo Vision Dome” to potentially offer full 360 degree immersion, tie that in multiple High Definition projectors, a roller driven “omni-directional treadmill” which tracks the users actual movement, a Kinect, a massive array of paintball guns to simulate being shot and an awful lot of software that damn near literally puts you into the action of Battlefield 3.
For more information on the contributors who helped to make this simulator happen:
- MSE Weibull [Omni-Directional Treadmill and Motion Tracking] ~ http://www.mseab.se/
- Igloo Vision [Projection and 360-degree Dome] ~ http://www.igloovision.com/
- aps events and media Ltd [Visual Manipulation] ~ http://www.thinkaps.com
- Extra Dimensional Technologies [Ambient Lighting] ~ http://www.extradmt.com/site
- Running in the Halls [Kinect Hack] ~ http://www.rith.co.uk/
- Robo Challenge [Paintball Marker Control System] ~ http://www.robochallenge.co.uk
- Yoyotech [Gaming PC] ~ http://www.yoyotech.co.uk/
The full story of The Gadget Show‘s FPS gaming simulator build originally premiered on Channel 5 in the UK at 8pm on Monday October 24th 2011. The video we’re showing in this article contains mostly the highlights, so just checkout the video (below) and leave us a comment with your thoughts…