A date which will live in infamy

Pearl Harbor Day happened on December 7, 1941. Sixty-eight years later we still remember Pearl Harbor Day and the events of December 7, 1941. My husband's father fought in World War II, which inspired my husband to join the Marines and fight in Vietnam.

Pearl Harbor Day remembers Operation Z or the Hawaii Operation, it name according to Japanese Imperial General Headquarters. On the morning of December 7, 1941, a surprise military strike was conducted by the Japanese navy against the US naval base at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. Today we solemnly remember the events of Pearl Harbor Day.

The Pearl Harbor Day attack was meant to be preventative and keep the US out of the war. Two aerial attach waves were launched by the Japanese. Four US Navy battleships were sunk. Four more battleships were damaged. Two were later raised and returned to serve in the war.

After the Pearl Harbor Day attack, Wikipedia reports the US damages included three destroyers, three cruisers, 188 aircraft with 2,402 killed and 1,282 wounded. Losses for the Japanese were minimal including 29 aircraft, 5 midget submarines, 1 soldier captured and 65 servicemen wounded or killed.

As a result of the events on December 7, 1941, the US became militarily involved in World War II. The Pearl Harbor Day attack happened before Japan made a formal declaration of war. Because of the surprise attack, the US went from isolationist to supporting direct participation in World War II.

US President Franklin D. Roosevelt stated, December 7th, 1941  a date which will live in infamy.

• Directors

I will never forget, I have walked through buildings at Ford Island that still have bullet holes in them, I help restore the Missouri when it was moved to its home in Pearl...

The Arizona Memorial is breath taking.

Shane ]

I will never forget, I have walked through buildings at Ford Island that still have bullet holes in them, I help restore the Missouri when it was moved to its home in Pearl...

is there still the one that you can dive down and look at thats all sealed up?

Shane ]

Breath taking indeed.. The Missouri is pretty cool also.!!