COULD a gaming clan be run like the US government?

Typically, gaming clans, such as the many you'll find here in the UF Community, are run by a set leadership structure. A clan leader. Possibly some "officers" or some ranked title. No matter how power is shared or used, more often than not, a gaming clan is merely a dictatorship. Run by one or a small few with their direction being the sole path for the clan and no change in leadership terms.

The Question: COULD a clan exist where there is a mirror of US government where there is, say, a President, a Vice President, a Chief Advisor, an Ambassador, a General....and so on? A clan where each office has an elected TERM so that, no matter the date, there is a clan vote on a new President and other roles and that vote is final?

Instead of a Presidential four year term, a clan leader would be "President" for, say, 6 months or 1 year. To do with the clan as he/she wishes. Taking in all dynamics of this type of leadership structure....IS RUNNING A CLAN LIKE A US GOVERNMENT MODEL POSSIBLE?

Gaming clans are a lot like a sports team. To run a sports team like a democracy would never work. Imagine if the players were able to vote on what they wanted to do or who was going to coach them. It would be pure chaos. In the same sense that they are a lot like a sports team, if you don't like whats going on or how its being run...go join another team. There are plenty out there.

Oh boy, let the $#!*storm begin...

I for one don't think it would be possible unless you start throwing the money factor in there. Online gaming clans are for the most part volunteer and to make it a democracy, the clan would need a big incentive to keep people in line. In a democratic society, money incorporated with laws are what keep people in line, so the clan would need a big motivator to encourage people to stick around, let alone follow the rules. Just my 2 cents. 8)

IRISH BULL ]

Gaming clans are a lot like a sports team. To run a sports team like a democracy would never work. Imagine if the players were able to vote on what they wanted to do or who was going to coach them. It would be pure chaos. In the same sense that they are a lot like a sports team, if you don't like whats going on or how its being run...go join another team. There are plenty out there.

I gotta agree with this guy. Even though he's a po-po, he got some good ideas. :D

I doubt highly that a clan could survive a checks and balance system that we employ as the USA.

A leader is needed to take the clan in a specific direction. Without specific direction, the majority of clans would falter.

Only a select few should actually know what is going on IMO. Most people do not join a gaming clan to deal with the extra bullshit that having a group of 30+ people together ultimately brings.

Never could you sustain a voted leader. Think about it. A guy may be popular inside his clan for his charisma, ease to talk to, or the fact he is funny. Are these traits that make a good leader? Not necessarily.

He may have issue with making hard choices, or being too lenient towards people, or just not have it in him to make the call when an 'infection' has made it's way into the clan. Every clan has at one point or another suffered from a 'cancerous' gunner. It takes ONE ultimate leader to shoulder that burden. He of course should ALWAYS consult his trusted advisers, as they are there for that purpose, but the decision needs to ultimately lie with the clan leader.

To question a simple structure like a gaming clan, is to fail as a clan. It basically eliminates the one thing we all enjoy the most.

A military-type atmosphere that leads to success. One clan can beat another for any number of reasons, but the steadiest of clans are the ones that can withstand the test of time, and keep a structure that everyone is already familiar with. Hell, you were RAISED in a dictatorship as a child. Mom & dad (or any variation) didnt ASK you what you wanted, they told you how it was going to go, and that was that.

Most of us logged into a specific game, whether that be Socom, CoD, Warhawk, etc. and played. We HATED the fact that comm within the game sucked, because you didnt have a regular group to field. Pretty soon, you noticed that you ALWAYS lost to the guys that all came in wearing the same tags, and you realized that in order to get what you WANTED from the game, you needed to find a clan. Some started their own, but most of us joined what we thought was our best chance for success.

well we are different in a way.

For now mets and I make some decisions on our own. But anything that changes the clan in direction , function or otherwise is voted on by High Council.(6 people) which we all get the same vote, mets and I included. majority rules. One day we hope to retire and have the next best guys running the clan. but leaders who retire get to vote in clan matters as long as they still are around, so that people always remember where it all began. we like having the thoughts of our high council because for one they have to inforce alot of what we desided. sence we have allot of games that we play.

If a clan really wanted to be be like a government, it couldnt happen in UF b/c the honor system would go out the door. I consider government to criminal activity, LoL. In any case... we would have rogues. OR Lets say Im a guy in CLAN [A], the Secret Service in clan A sends me to infiltrate Clan . So i apply and get into the inner circle of Clan , now i know they're map strategies and playing styles, then I go to war with them For Clan [A].. or just maybe, I betray Clan [A] and tell Clan everything.

But maybe I was really from Clan [C] and came to ruin the structure of a and b alltogether.

All it would take is time and an additional PSN. Think about that next time you let guy in your clan.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D , LOL that was fun.

I think if you have a solid group of people who are real tight, that it could possibly work. Maybe a group that wants to play together, but wants to put themselves in the greatest position to be the best they can be. They might vote to see who the strongest leader in the group is and mark him "President". But there can be no egos or and a lot of patience.

wow, can you imagine that. it would take for ever for a clan to have a clan war or tourney it would have to be accepted or declared by congress. or imagine a clan leader does something the members dont like; he gets impeached and then thrown out of office, lol. Making the clan structure like the us gov would be more like role playing

I voted ''no'' and I don't ever think that a clan could ever be run like the US Government. I 'do' think that the conventional manner of 'Leader/Co-Leaders' etc. are a dictatorship. So, a clan is more like a business that someone has started. This would be the President or CEO of the company, and if he had any help in 'starting the business', that person or persons would be the VP's and whatever other names you might want to give. It's easy to 'work your way up', depending on how much you know about how the business is run and in your talents, such as 'Graphics design' or administrative abilities...even good Leadership skills can move you up within the Business! Also, the way you interact with the workers, is always a PLUS.

We have people who work inline with the businesses 'guidelines' (what the rules are, what you should know if you do this or that, and what you can be terminated from employment for and etc.). The guidelines allow for a voting process, but this process never is about the workers voting the owner out. That would be like authorizing a 'coo' in which any disgruntled group within the company could overthrow those who formed it.

So we devise a 'Council'. Council members, are anywhere from the GFXs design team, ADMINs, Recruiters, Tournament Reps, (including the Unit Command, mentioned later). This council hears the workers issues or complaints, and many issues are moderateable or can be voted to make changes to the existing issue(s). The 'Council' subjects these issues and votes are tallied. Below the Council are the Supervisors or Unit Command, who deal directly with the workers. In 'this type of business' as with most businesses, the Unit Command 'rotate' or are voted on each term (in our case, the term is every 3 months). Council is every 6 months. Every person is chosen by recommendation. They have a 'record' established of their contributions to the business whether by game wins, recruitments, following guidelines without suspensions and etc.

In 'this' cenario, even if the votes are in the workers favor, a 'reasonable' President may honor the outcome. But never is there a chance of the Business Owners position to be part of a process that the workers have control over. The President 'always' has the power of 'Executive Decision' regarding a vote outcome. The workers agree to this upon being hired or acquired.

The job pays the workers by giving incentives, awards or whatever this company says it will pay out. The workers have the choice of accepting this, or looking elsewhere for another place to 'work'.

BigMoneyNacku ]

Critikal, you need to change your name on the forums.

Goat Jr. ;D ;D

I miss GOAT! We've learned alot from him, and I really 'try' to make my points short...but it isn't working :-[

I have an idea. I'll 'cut the pill in half!' lol

at3dave ]

If a clan really wanted to be be like a government, it couldnt happen in UF b/c the honor system would go out the door. I consider government to criminal activity, LoL. In any case... we would have rogues. OR Lets say Im a guy in CLAN [A], the Secret Service in clan A sends me to infiltrate Clan . So i apply and get into the inner circle of Clan , now i know they're map strategies and playing styles, then I go to war with them For Clan [A].. or just maybe, I betray Clan [A] and tell Clan everything.

But maybe I was really from Clan [C] and came to ruin the structure of a and b alltogether.

All it would take is time and an additional PSN. Think about that next time you let guy in your clan.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D , LOL that was fun.

Who referred you to our site again??? ;)

I agree with deadly lol. But I voted yes. I think a lot of clans that have been around a long time have realized the importance having your clan participate in the CLAN itself. There are decisions that the clan needs to take quickly that you need Clan Leaders for. Not one but 2 that are active but also you need a democratic system so the clan feels like they are part of it. We have gained about 30 members in the past 2 weeks alone. Most of them are people that are tired of being under a dictatorship and told what to be doing. Most of the best gamers out there the ones I talk to on a regular basis who play professionally all love to play the game but they also don't want it to get serious to a point where its not fun anymore. Structure is def needed. But a democratic structure can work. Once rank and leadership gets too seriously people start down talking to people and problems start.

At the end of the day though its all about its leadership. The people who are up top are the ones all the members look up to. You got to understand almost everybody works and they got to deal with their boss most of the day and do you want to come back home and get bossed around on a video game? Being around the game for 5-6 years now has taught me so many things and as a person when you take leadership to a different level it can be your down fall too. You have seen many clans disappear because of rank being too serious or clan leaders being dictators.

People who infiltrate clans to get information? Like come on man I've seen people do that but come on man? You take that much time out to go through all that? Why don't you just work on your tactics instead of devising plans to see a clans strategy lol.

NO you can not have your clan run in a democratic way. You can have clear leadership and have the clan help make decisions or bring up problems and let it siphon to the top. But letting clan mates elect and decide the fate of the clan doesn't sound appealing.

There needs to be a leadership and a ranking level for people to want to move up.