How are ya'll moving forward

In SHO it was just a natural progression. It got too hard to expect those with the PS3 to keep playing SOCOM when games like R6, Graw, and now COD were released. So, in September we set a date of 1/1/08 we will officially be off of SOCOM and on 2/1/08 we will be a full PS3 clan ... so every member would need to have one by then.

I think every clan is going through this.

We had MANY tough debates and decisions regarding this....and in the end, I think it's just up to the individual clans to figure out what is best for them.

Initially, I had instituted a mandatory hard date for APCers to switch over to CoD4.  We were going to do this after Black IV was finished, ending our run on Socom: CA.  There were some APCers who were feeling really cornered with this approach, and in the end, my sympathetic side took over.  Yes, I'd like to have my entire clan on one game, but punishing someone for not having the money to buy a whole new system right now, especially around the crunch of the holidays, isn't a very fair demand at all.  In the past, making your clansmen buy a GAME is one thing.  Easy.  But an entire next-gen system is a tall order.

APC's got about 36 members right now and all but about 4 have moved on to the PS3 and, ultimately, CoD4.  We still hold our Midnight Mass every Friday night back on Socom, playing the Map Packs (readying for the upcoming UF Black IV).  All other nights, the clansmen play the game they choose.  Predominantly right now, it's CoD4.

I think, in the end, the problem takes care of itself.  You don't WANT to kick people because they don't have a PS3, and you hate the fact that they're feeling "left out or behind" because their clansmen aren't playing with them, but you should also look at it from YOUR viewpoint as well.  These clansmen shouldn't feel comfortable "holding the rest back" if that be the case.  SHOULD an entire clan of 32+ players be FORCED or feel forced to play a game they no longer wish to play simply because of 2-5 other clansmen?  It's a tough spot, but in the end, the problem presents its own solution.  Either clansmen WILL go out and get their next-gen system to stay with their clan (surprisingly, about 5 APCers got PS3s in the last 2 weeks to improve our PS3-presence) or they will simply wallow in the low-attendance of the game they're playing now and simply leave the clan or move to another clan altogether that is still faithful to Socom: CA.

APC's not abandoning Socom.  We're just making use of the money spent on our next-gen systems....as EVERY player who bought one has the right and priviledge to do.  When the next installment of Socom comes out for the PS3, APC will most certainly be there to check it out, most likely making a home there as well.  

But yeah, I have felt the sting and crunch of being a clan leader in this predicament of inbetween-systems, and it's not a happy seat to be in.  But some should look at the situation as not one guy (the clan leader) trying to make a majority happy at the expense of a few.....rather, some of those players on the chessboard should look at how THEY are impacting the situation in their own clan.  Do they WANT to be in that clan anymore, and if so, does that desire outweigh the potential hard feelings or small guilt they may have by being one of the few who are creating this rift in the clan?  Is your clan a SOCOM clan or just an all-around gaming clan?  Are you members, individually, more important that your clan's focus and drive to move forward with the ever-changing times?  

Too many questions for just ONE man....or even a group of officers, methinks.

As I said above, I believe this situation, in ANY clan, can resolve itself.

In APC....it's resolving itself.  Thankfully, it's doing so successfully without too many people being butt-hurt.

Guest [+30]PuddyTat
crater1 ]

We are having an issue with the few people that have a PS3 and the people that dont. Those that do are playing COD a lot and not getting on socom that much. But the people that dont have the PS3 are still playing Socom and are feeling a little left out. How are you guys solving this problem??

i have seen this with a lot of clans. IMO, two things are important here:

1. the clan leaders need to devote as much time to the socom guys as the cod4 guys. let everyone know they are still part of the clan. your forums will also help with one common place for guys to communicate.

2. member allegiance - if your guys really like the clan they are in, they will stay no matter who is playing whta. if a guy wants to bounce because half the clan is playing a new game, get the game or go!! i enjoy the guys i play online with, but also understand that everybody is going to play different games, and hope they understand that of me as well

It is tough for everyone. Even 101 had this problem. But getting back on the horse, figuring out who is moving on now, who plans on moving on and who wants to play socom. I know this that if UF keeps fielding SOCOM tourneys and we have the players to be there then 101 will always try its damdest to bring the heat.

A good majority of Stormwatchers are currently playing COD4.. and for me.. since I dont have a ps3 yet.. Ive lost all desire to play socom.

For me its the thought of knowing that my buddies are playing a kick ass game, and Im stuck playing good ol faithful socom... it just doesnt do it for me anymore.. not like it used to...

So.. I'll only be playing Socom sporatically til I actually get my hands on a ps3...

:-\ :-\ :-\

This is hard to deal with... Particularly when people have been playing with you and your team for YEARS and are true friends.

IMO- clans must do what is right for the ENTIRE clans success, try and leave NO man behind, have a progression period, but in the end when a date has been set- move forward.

Picture "flags of our fathers movie" They had been planing the invasion for months and months....  When they are invading the island a guy falls over board- Normally (and every other time previous to that date) they would slow down and get him or another ship would stop and grab him... But in risk of the mission and their overall survival they had to leave him to drown.  :'(

While that comparison is dark and gloomy- For us it was truly that sad to have to leave a few good friends behind... We waited as long as we could, we hope they will catch up with the fleet some day... And if not we will send out a rescue ship when SC4 drops ;)

US25

I have had every thought that you guys have said run through my head at one time or another. But the problem is [TDH] is a family based clan. We have never taken players because they were good at the game but how they got along with all of us. So when some of the guys that you cansider "brothers" are getting mad because some of us are not playing socom any more it kinda makes you feel bad. I do love socom it is a great game and has a lot of things that I think are missing from the new games (other than the lag, lag switches, codes, etc) but damn it's fun to knife somone!!! So far we have lost 1 guy and I understand him leaving and I dont blame him. I guess the guys that are being "left behind" may have thought that [TDh] was a socom clan and now we are moving on. Thanks for the thoughts guys we got a clan meeting this weekend and I am trying to find a way to make everyone happy.

As Red said about 101st this is a problem and it is just now starting to iron itself out. We are a family as well Crater. I suppose it is safe to say that everyone that responded to this is a family based clan. I have guys in my clan that have been by my side and I theirs for 4-5 years.

It was a tough choice to make and tough to start it moving. The way it stood for us is we were going to lose more players if we didn't move forward. We were trying to hold off as long as possible because of the cost of the system but as it turns out we should have moved faster.

It was a nightmare and like I said it is starting to smooth out. Heck I had a clan member come to me and he said that another clan came to him and said "I heard 101st is disbanding." This person actually heard it from an X member of 101st that didn't want to buy the ps3. LOL