What are YOU doing with your PS3?

We all talk about how powerful a machine the PS3 is.

So I thought we could open up a discussion on what some of the various things people in this community are doing while utilizing their PS3s.

I JUST got the PS3 Eye, and I know it's going to take me a little while to get used to that.

But beyond that, aside from loading a few photos in there to act as a slide show when I have guests over, and downloading quite a few PS3 themes.....I haven't done TOO much with its capabilities.....mainly because I might not know of other things it's capable of.

So I'm putting it out there.

What are YOU doing with your PS3?

For instance....since it can go online and you can check your Yahoo email online....can you also download Yahoo IM? Not that I feel I need to, as I think the PS3 chat room is pretty efficient. But it was an example.

I set my PC as a media server and download movies from my computer to the PS3 and I also just play them from my PC as well when I don't feel like wasting space on the PS3 hard drive. I also have downloaded many themes and pictures, and I play music from my PC as well. Other than games and watch some blu-ray movies that's about all I do.

With the eye toy you can hold video conferences with your clan- Or friends- Its kinda cool. You can also set up slide shows via the chat section as well.

If you wanted to get crazy with tactics you could always hold a "war room" type of conference with your clan, to include maps, pics and tactics.

As far as yahoo- I can check all that on my phone with 1 click, its faster than turning on the tv and ps3.

You can surf the web and dl movies right to the ps3 though which is cool...

Guest H.A.V.0.C

I have only used my PS3 a hand full of times, simply because for the first 8 months of launch, the games that came out on it sucked ass! But I have used it lately to play DRAKES FORTUNE(good game) and I'm currently playing ASSASSINS CREED (also a good game). But all and all it has been a paper weight for its first 8 months of existence.

Guest Stealthknight

You can use it with the messanger but you need to install the linux OS.

There is alot you can do with it You can:

Connect it to your DVR and record your games

Download and play DivX Movies straight from the internet

Create playlists of music similar to your iPod for entertaining

Use it as a media server with your comp

Have cam confrences wih up to 6 peoeple at a time

Download the OS and use it as a low powered comp w/ a word processor and computer games.

Thats just a few. I use it for all of them.

Deutscher75 ]

I set my PC as a media server and download movies from my computer to the PS3 and I also just play them from my PC as well when I don't feel like wasting space on the PS3 hard drive. I also have downloaded many themes and pictures, and I play music from my PC as well. Other than games and watch some blu-ray movies that's about all I do.

How did you do that?

BAMBAM69 ]

How did you do that?

Method 1

THE VIDEOS HAVE TO BE DOWNLOADED ON YOUR COMPUTER FIRST

Read this, it's short, all you need is Windows Media Player 11 and a ps3 with latest updates.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158357

And this is for converting whatever movie file you need to .divx once converted just rename the file .avi and put it into a folder that your sharing with your ps3 and you can choose to stream or straight out copy the file over to the ps3.

http://www.divx.com/dff/index.php?version=win

I prefer to copy over to ps3 because i like the option of being able to fast forward or rewind scenes.

Feel free to ask questions in this thread, i will gladly reply because i've been doing this for a while now and have had no problems with WMP 11, or the Divx converter.

Method 2

if you're too lazy to read/do the above, then just buy a flash drive and transfer from computer to flash, flash to ps3.

Method 3

or your can use the ps3 web browser to watch youtube, megavideo, and other embedded streaming media right off the net