EGM magazine Socom

Quote from EGM mag by Joe Rybicki

If you want to read more about this and see the new screenshots, buy the EGM mag.

"The teams plans for an invite-only beta test as early as right now or May with a public beta soon afterwards. Want to get in the top-secret beta? "We're rolling a blog site fairly soon," Luisi says. "And we want to use that site to indentify some of the community leaders. And then we'll invite them into the private beta, just so we can get feedback from those hardcore SOCOM guys-probably only a few hundred people."

"You'll be able to decide whether you want to roll a granade or throw it overhand. It all uses real physics, so it'll bounce off curbs and things like that."

"Leaning with the sixaxis works surprisingly well. And don't worry if you have jittery hands; the game has adjustable sensitivity for the tilt controls-all the way down to "off."

"A sony rep confirmed to us last year that Zipper's next game was in the SOCOM franchise, but now luisi plays coy. "Are they working on a SOCOM game?" he says when we ask about the game. "I thought it was confirmed," I say. "No, no." Luisi says. "They're working on something...."

"Once my character's in a crouch position,"Seymour says, "the Sixaxis lets me do what I used to do with the d-pad."

"These maps are a little more than double the size of the original SOCOM." Luisi says, "so we wanted to add the ability to run so that people can get from place to place more quickly but still maintain that on-foot gameplay. You can't fire when you're running, and when you come out of a run, your accuracy is going to be poor. But right now you can run for as long as you want."

"Confrontation will launch with six initial special forces available to clan members (with more to come). They are: Navy Sea, Air, and Land(SEALs, United States), Special Air Service(SAS, United Kingdom), Kommando Spezialkrafte(KSK, Germany), Unidad de Operaciones Especiales(UOE, Spain), Groupe d'Intervention de la Gendarmerie Nationale(GIGN, France), Commando Raggruppamento Subacquei ed Incuursori Teseo Tesei (COMSUBIN, Italy)

"Before, you could'nt see anybody; if you looked down an alleyway, you could'nt see the other end. Noe you definitely can."

"Cover may not always be as safe as it appears. There's some cover you can blow up. We have exploding barrels, back by popular demands, and propane tanks tou can blow up and garbage bags that can get destroyed to give that look that your're blowing the place to hell. We don't allow you to blow hole in walls."

"Having the special forces." Luisi adds, "also allows us to have different equipment items-different camo patterns, different helmet things like that- that are avaliable only to that special-force team. So they'll look unique. And each special force is going to have a couple of unique weapons that only they get." The clan leader decides which special force the clan chooses, and he has access to additional customization features as special camouflage patterns and team insignias. And while individual players can still customize their appearance within that framework, the result is clan who look like teams.

"Clan management is also more accessible thanks to the launch of socom.com, a website devoted to the Confrontation community. On the site, you can make changes to your clan's schedule and roster, exchange info with clan members and other clans, and even scout new recruits"

Other than open chat, you can still communicate with the puch-to-talk function of the l2 button. And you can still talk to anyone within earshot with proximity chat((including the enemy, if your not carefull.

Elimanation game type is back. This is essentially a reprise of the suppression rule from the first game, which required the winning team to completely eliminate all the players on the oppising team in order to win the match; annything less than complete extermination results in a draw.

- Found on playstation forums

Renix ]

Quote from EGM mag by Joe Rybicki

If you want to read more about this and see the new screenshots, buy the EGM mag.

"You'll be able to decide whether you want to roll a granade or throw it overhand. It all uses real physics, so it'll bounce off curbs and things like that."

"Once my character's in a crouch position,"Seymour says, "the Sixaxis lets me do what I used to do with the d-pad."

That is gonna be sick.

Guest Stealthknight
Elimanation game type is back. This is essentially a reprise of the suppression rule from the first game, which required the winning team to completely eliminate all the players on the oppising team in order to win the match; annything less than complete extermination results in a draw.

That is stupid, I think the one thing we all like on S3 better than S2 was the change in suppression mode.

igotamic ]

I think it would be cool if in the last minute or 30 seconds, they would show where everyone left alive is on your radar. Kind of do the same thing that cod4 does durring a sudden death round minus everyone respawning.

Yeah, that would be a good solution. SD is fun on COD.

I believe they will keep the supression mode that they have in CA. Elimination will be just another mode like convoy, or breach. So if you dont like it just dont go into an Elimination room. Simple as that. I enjoyed the original supression from socom 1 (now called Elimination). But I would only recomend it on the small maps.

Guest NEO-X

Wow... sounds pretty cool.

Anyone else still weirded out by how the jump is essentially a hop, with no leg moments? its like an ankle jump, with the 2 feet together...

They need to bring back the leg up thing..

C_A_G_E ]

I'm worried about the maps being twice the size. I still don't understand why they wouldn't/couldn't keep the maps small/midsized and lower the player count to 16 total. The large player count games are just not fun to me, too much twitch play.

I think it's PERFECT.

It helps tone down the spawn grenade kills because a grenade can be thrown from ONE end of the map to the OTHER. And that sucks.

yes but after getting passed the nooby nades, which was a tactic in itself because they were only use full if you had the right spawn and knew where to throw them so it took practice, searching the map for the other team was more fun then it was a burden. In 1 round you could check 90% of the hiding spots before it ended which is why elimination(suppression) worked so well. By making the maps bigger there loosing that feeling. It seems that most of you like the new look of socom (Large maps and player counts that rival battlefield) so i doubt many of you would share my opinion.

"Other than open chat, you can still communicate with the puch-to-talk function of the l2 button. And you can still talk to anyone within earshot with proximity chat((including the enemy, if your not carefull."

Don't like that, the enemy can hear you talking? Wouldn't be a problem if we could HAND and ARM signals instead of talking. But to communicate we have to talk, and if an enemy is right around the corner he will be able to hear you. Don't lke the open mic either.

Guest Stealthknight

There should not be a proximity chat if there is no Hand and Arm signaling since you dont have a choice whether or not to talk. I mean im sure everyone here has learned or been taught to CALL THINGS OUT and USE THE MIC. Now this will discourage mic usage to give updates from players across the map. I dont really like the idea too much and think it would be better to keep the nice circle button w/ the little commands to tell them to get off the mic lol.

I dont like the CoD open chat. The music in the background, the screeching youngsters. I'm all for the socom style "circle" chat. Perhaps instead of the "Cover me" button in socom maybe they could change this somehow to help acomidate the proximity chat problem of being overheard. I still find this proximity chat feature interestin though. It will bring a new demention of game play. Search, Clear, Talk. It may even make it harder for campers, since they will be sitting around with no one to talk to.

Renix ]

I dont like the CoD open chat. The music in the background, the screeching youngsters. I'm all for the socom style "circle" chat. Perhaps instead of the "Cover me" button in socom maybe they could change this somehow to help acomidate the proximity chat problem of being overheard. I still find this proximity chat feature interestin though. It will bring a new demention of game play. Search, Clear, Talk. It may even make it harder for campers, since they will be sitting around with no one to talk to.

It'll be a lonely exsistence... S'more time! B)