Socom Beta Reviews

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm.....I would have to disagree with you, Hog.

I'm still trying to ween the CoD4 out of my blood for this game.....the speed, the controls, etc.

I REALLY like this game and can see myself playing just this map for the next month and, when it ends on the 5th, not play CoD4 for 9 days until the full game comes out. I LIKE what's going on for Confrontation.

Everything you mentioned MAKES the game more real. Believable.

Running.....try running and being responsive to flash things in front of you when carrying guns, grenades, armor and such. Even an NFL running back will have a problem. It's near impossible to run around a corner, see an enemy, recognize it's an enemy and then train your gun on the target when in a hostile situation. The slight blur effect is great.

As for seeing the targets easier than hitting them.....perhaps you're looking at it wrong (the situation, not the target). When you're talking about targets so far away, you're also dealing with conditions and such as well. Wind is a possibility, though a small one, I think. The other is the fact that very RARELY, if at all now, does your crosshairs STOP moving when training on a target. Because of this, you're pulling your trigger when it's essentially moving. If that's happening, your bullet is NOT going to land at the precise place you're looking at. That's the way I see it, anyway. And also, it makes for situations when I DO hit someone from far away that much cooler. Lastly....with the STG and such, some guns just aren't MADE for those long/far shots, no matter WHAT scope you put on it, I think.

And as for the cover....who DOESN'T like a lot of cover in this game?! Makes it more real. Gives EVERYONE a great chance at not only survival, but for ambush as well. This aspect is GREAT. Slows the game down. Makes you more careful and aware of your surroundings.

What I've seen of this game so far, I'm IMPRESSED and I'm glad that it's back.

Already I'm enjoying this game more in one map (with the handicap of getting re-acclimated with the controls) than I enjoyed all the maps from CoD4. I'm happy it's back and I'm looking forward to the full game.

UNCLE-SID25 ]

I am thinking when the game drops it will be sick... The only thing gameplay wise *i dont care for is the running- I like the button, not being able to fire- But turning corners seams a little clunky... But I am getting used to it. Its kind of like using the clutch when you hit a corner lol.

Did you turn your lookspeed & acceleration ALL the way up.!? (that definitely helped)

it does turn corners alittle like GTA though.. hopefully they will improve that.

I need to put a screw in the R2 button or something. it being convex makes my finger slide off all the time which makes it hard to stay running when you need to go a long way. it should be concave instead.. (or maybe glue some grip tape or a piece of a ribbed condom ;))

Neo_Unit001 ]

I have a feeling lag switches are gone cuz as soon you have any interference your disconnected from the network. I have a keyboard for ps3 even with that you couldn't type out someones position fast enough so it really makes no sense to do that.

Lag switches are a thing of the past with Socom. That's what the disconnect icon at the top of the screen is. It's detecting a sudden drop in ping rate according to Dat.

Tool_Minion ]
Neo_Unit001 ]

I have a feeling lag switches are gone cuz as soon you have any interference your disconnected from the network. I have a keyboard for ps3 even with that you couldn't type out someones position fast enough so it really makes no sense to do that.

Lag switches are a thing of the past with Socom. That's what the disconnect icon at the top of the screen is. It's detecting a sudden drop in ping rate according to Dat.

That makes my day!! bro! good news then. and its about time.. now if they could just do away with hit detection latency and interpolation.. I'd be even happier.

I want complete control on the button layout like they promised. I want R2 to be my trigger, and it doesn't seem to work.

I need to put a screw in the R2 button or something. it being convex makes my finger slide off all the time which makes it hard to stay running when you need to go a long way. it should be concave instead.. (or maybe glue some grip tape or a piece of a ribbed condom.

I agree Chili. If they were gonna rip off the controller from the XBOX they should have completely ripped it off. The trigger should be shaped like a trigger.

BTW...Sid, your sig scares my two year old daughter. lol

Tool_Minion ]

Um I think you CAN set up the buttons whoever you want. I did and saved it as a custom layout.

I tried to make R2 my trigger, but it didn't let me. It only let me switch R2 with the triangle. I'll give it a try again. If someone can actually verify that R2 can be the fire button, let me know. This way I know it can be done.