Socom Beta Reviews

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnson30 ]
-ChurcH- ]

There's no point in trying to get /6 to change anything. This is the PUBLIC beta.. meaning this is only out there to test the servers and patch up a few glitchy areas, not to change an entire area of a game. This is pretty much how the game is going to be except without the lag and ridiculous load times.

For the most part^^^

BUT this BETA version can also be old (2 months, 3 months, or maybe 6 months). The finished product could be quite a bit different from this BETA. This is probably the same BETA version we have been seeing for the last few months.

/6 needs NO feedback on gameplay for this BETA, they released this so they can tweak the servers so there is no server problems come the release.

Don't think /6 cares about your input here, slant /6 is treating us like hamsters on a treadmill, running the system to capacity to see what shakes loose.

Yea they cant apply much to the final release of the game.. there is not enough time to do so. They have to burn all the disc's, package them, & ship them which takes a month (at least), so there will be NO changes to the final release that isn't already in it, but as Johnson said they may have made changes that we dont see yet. (although i would think adding something was the rerason for the 5 day delay on the beta.!?)

And patches will hopefully be very helpful.

Good to see some more positive feedback.

I think it will get better.. most of what i hear from PS3 games is a rough start, but always seems to get better down the road. Hopefully this will be the case here too.

Chili-Palmer ]
Johnson30 ]
-ChurcH- ]

There's no point in trying to get /6 to change anything. This is the PUBLIC beta.. meaning this is only out there to test the servers and patch up a few glitchy areas, not to change an entire area of a game. This is pretty much how the game is going to be except without the lag and ridiculous load times.

For the most part^^^

BUT this BETA version can also be old (2 months, 3 months, or maybe 6 months). The finished product could be quite a bit different from this BETA. This is probably the same BETA version we have been seeing for the last few months.

/6 needs NO feedback on gameplay for this BETA, they released this so they can tweak the servers so there is no server problems come the release.

Don't think /6 cares about your input here, slant /6 is treating us like hamsters on a treadmill, running the system to capacity to see what shakes loose.

Yea they cant apply much to the final release of the game.. there is not enough time to do so. They have to burn all the disc's, package them, & ship them which takes a month (at least), so there will be NO changes to the final release that isn't already in it, but as Johnson said they may have made changes that we dont see yet. (although i would think adding something was the rerason for the 5 day delay on the beta.!?)

And patches will hopefully be very helpful.

Good to see some more positive feedback.

I think it will get better.. most of what i hear from PS3 games is a rough start, but always seems to get better down the road. Hopefully this will be the case here too.

Or they had major server problems?

Ok here is my 2 cents.

I hate how slow the character movement is, kinda reminds me of GRAW.

Other than that I think its pretty tight. The environment is totally interactive. I caught people trying to sneak behind me because they kicked a bottle or a piece of scrap. I was hiding behind a car and noticed when the ememy was shooting it it was rocking just like a car would rock getting riddled with bullets. But THE coolest thing I have noticed is that if you arent where the action is you can play duck hunt and shoot the birds out of the sky. They just blow up into a puff of feathers and blood, VERY COOL.

I think Goat mentioned somthing about spray city. If you go back to the comments made by /6 early on, they said the gun accuracy would be more realistic, like your 1st 2 shots would be dead on, but if you firing fully auto the accuracy will greatly decrease after the first 2 shots. I love the HK36 on 2 burst, and they 552 on 3 burst for this reason. I think it adds way more skills to the game, rather than having that magic gun that shoots as straight as a lazer fully auto.

1 more thing I hope they fix is the WAC communtiy system. Its like they took 2 GIANT steps back to the 1st socom. I dont why people try to fix shit that aint broken in the first place.

All in All I think I will be happy with the final product..

i like it like it a-lot

BUT JUST ONE QUESTION........

SO LETS SAY WE ARE IN A WAR AND I KILL YOU. CAN YOU GO TO YOUR PS3 NETWORK AND MESSAGE YOUR TEAM WHERE I AM ....

BECAUSE I HAVENT SEEN NO WAY IT CAN BE BLOCKED

AND IF SO THEN I WILL SMASH MY PS3 (NOT REALLY JUST THINK IT IS STUPID ASS HELL)

I understand your concern, however it is no different now then using AIM, or using the PHONE! Just another option is all. To people that WANT to cheat, and call, and what ever, there always has been and always will be options. The rest of us, like you bro, will continue to kill and hunt people the old fashioned way. ;D

_SEQUOYAH ]

i like it like it a-lot

SO LETS SAY WE ARE IN A WAR AND I KILL YOU. CAN YOU GO TO YOUR PS3 NETWORK AND MESSAGE YOUR TEAM WHERE I AM ....

AND IF SO THEN I WILL SMASH MY PS3 (NOT REALLY JUST THINK IT IS STUPID ASS HELL)

I understand your concern, however it is no different now then using AIM, or using the PHONE! Just another option is all. To people that WANT to cheat, and call, and what ever, there always has been and always will be options. The rest of us, like you bro, will continue to kill and hunt people the old fashioned way. ;D

yeah i know ...i just also kno that the ps3 network is in your hands at the time and easy to do...i just know it will become an isue at some point......just dissapointed that a billion dollar company cant think of it........(or dont care)

but we will see it is just a beta ....and hopefullly i can kill someone when they are in thier menu and shit......

i know it will be fine

I love how the environment is interactive. I was running down the street when the friggin wall to the left of me blew apart and came crumbling down. I can only assume someone hit it with a rocket on the other side.

Not that it has any bearing on the gameplay, but shooting the birds is fun. I hit one in the air and part of the bloody wing landed right in front of me.

Question: Is there any way to check all the clans that are registered?? I was curious on there emblem they chose. Also, not that I want to, but how do you register a new clan on SOCOM?? I wanted to see all the emblems you could choose from.

-ChurcH- ]

It should be under Community. You go there then there should be a Clan option where you can Create one and such. There's quite a variety but it's pretty standard. It's pretty much just like GRAW

I went there but didn't see anything. When I went to "Clan" it just brought me to my clan. Maybe I'm missing an option, I'll look again. Or, maybe I can't now that I'm offically in Hollow Ground's clan.

i like it like it a-lot

yep bs

THATS IT

NO SOLUTION ...DOESNT THIS MEAN NO TOURNEYS IF THIS IS THE CASE?????

c,mon GOAT tell me you have a answer to this ....

LOL yeah my answer is pretty much the same as what Seq. said.. its always been available to anyone who cares to CHEAT, to use Aim or a variety of other means to Talk from the grave.

What's to stop anyone from getting on the phone and talking with their clan mates.. hell you can even conference call up to 16 people with a bus conference system. For those that will spend anything to cheat.

LOL.. using the PSN message system doesn't do anything that wasn't already available. How long before lag switche make a come back or before some one finds a glitch to utilize? It's a fact of gaming..

For us its always been about CHOOSING NOT TO CHEAT. Honor above all.

Plus on PS3 you would have type out a msg, then send it, then they would have to go read it. etc.. quite a long process.

In this case it is WAY easier to cheat this way on xbox, because you can open a private voicechat in about 6 seconds with anyone, right from IN the game.!

So i think this is one of the more difficult games/systems to cheat on.! (in that way)

Also it only works on campers, that stay in a position for a over 30sec to 1min.

This is no different than what has been going on since the 1st socom. I know clans have been using outside coms for years. Yahoo msngr, skype, aim. So I think the ones that would try to communicate over psn in game, most likely have been using outside coms in the first place... So its nothing new.

Like Goat says, "We choose not to do it".

A few things I wanted to point out after a few days tweeking out on this game.

Hit detection- Seems alot better then most. The armor makes a huge difference, but it should.

Character movement--I played a bit of S2 yesterday to see, and it seems to be fairly close. I think alot of people think it's too slow because of games like COD. Compared to Socom, this game is marginally slower at best. I like the new speed. Feels more deliberate. If you take light armor, it is every bit as fast as it used to be(socom 2).

CDBS14 ]
Neo_Unit001 ]

Also I forgot this another reason for your guy being slow the weapons and whatever you carry slow you down' date=' small suggestion right here take off your heavy armor take off your rpgs then try running, and in case YOU forgot turn your 3/CA on and tell me the things you carry don't affect your speed. Yea he can't run fast well shit take that rpg off and just use grenades.

[/quote']

true, heavy torso with light legs is the best combination

NEVER equip rpgs and using medium armor. STILL SLOW AS HELL!

Neo_Unit001 ]

I thought thats what they where trying to do go back to the classic style of the game.

If CA was 1 step away from the classic style of SOCOM. The Confrontation is going to be 4 steps away in the wrong direction. The game plays more like CoD than any SOCOM game I ever played. There's too much going on, birds, the dust from running, have to push a extra button to run.

If the way the game played kept pace with the graphics one could hardly complain. But game play suffers. You can see further than you can hit with your gun when using a M4 or STG. If you turn when running the images on the screen will blur. And that six axis thing is the worst. The proximety mic works, even when I can't talk out to my own teamates. There's entirely too much stuff to hide behind too.

After a couple of days, my first impression, they tried to do too much and lost sight of what made SOCOM great.

HogWild ]
Neo_Unit001 ]

I thought thats what they where trying to do go back to the classic style of the game.

If CA was 1 step away from the classic style of SOCOM. The Confrontation is going to be 4 steps away in the wrong direction. The game plays more like CoD than any SOCOM game I ever played. There's too much going on, birds, the dust from running, have to push a extra button to run.

If the way the game played kept pace with the graphics one could hardly complain. But game play suffers. You can see further than you can hit with your gun when using a M4 or STG. If you turn when running the images on the screen will blur. And that six axis thing is the worst. The proximety mic works, even when I can't talk out to my own teamates. There's entirely too much stuff to hide behind too.

After a couple of days, my first impression, they tried to do too much and lost sight of what made SOCOM great.

i always knew i liked you, and didn't know why, thanks for clearing that up hog. ;D

HogWild ]
Neo_Unit001 ]

Yellow--Socom has ALWAYS been like that. I still have a cheat sheet around that had ranges for different guns written all over it.

Red--I like that the yhandicap you for running. I didn't even like the fact they put it in. At least it works like crap. ;D

Orange--I love all the cover. Fucking snipers have to work now!! ;)

BigMoneyNacku ]
HogWild ]

If the way the game played kept pace with the graphics one could hardly complain. But game play suffers. You can see further than you can hit with your gun when using a M4 or STG. If you turn when running the images on the screen will blur. And that six axis thing is the worst. The proximity Mic works, even when I can't talk out to my own teamates. There's entirely too much stuff to hide behind too.

Yellow--Socom has ALWAYS been like that. I still have a cheat sheet around that had ranges for different guns written all over it.

Red--I like that the handicap you for running. I didn't even like the fact they put it in. At least it works like crap. ;D

Orange--I love all the cover. Fucking snipers have to work now!! ;)

Hog, you really think it feels like CoD4.? CoD4 is way faster way more responsive, & the gfx are much cleaner. (i say it feels like GR:AW all the way.. sloppy movement, imprecise)

I am starting to get the hang of it now..

One thing i realized is that it isn't the guy that moves too slow, it is the responsiveness of the control, but i moved both the Look Speed, & Acceleration ALL the way up, & it IS better. ;D

Also, I have to agree with Money.. I like all the cover. ;D