YOUR EXPECTATIONS FOR SOCOM'S RELEASE

Chili-Palmer ]

My opinion of Socom is that although i think it will be better on release than this horrible beta, i dont even own a PS3, & will not buy one until i KNOW that Socom is worth it.

Socom will be the only game i would own on PS3.. (most multi-platform games are better across the street ;)) PS3 will be my Blu-Ray player with Socom. ;D

Ur crazy, and mulit-platform game is far better on PS3, the only good thing about that cheap box is it has more games. thats it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at3dave ]
CritiKiL ]

I do know about BETA testing. It tests only a certain part of code. However, it is a reflection of the overall performance of 'gameplay' that this BETA is for. Hence, the gameplay that we are experiencing in the BETA, directly reflects how the game 'itself' will function. So, unless they fix these issues on or before the release...you are looking at what the 'game performance' will be like.

Not to mention that this is the 'SECOND BETA TEST' of this game! It makes me wonder what kinds of problems/issues they had with the 'FIRST ONE', being that the second has soo many. I bet you not any of you were able to 'even play' that BETA after the 3rd 1.6 patch! I tried all day long, and only just this morning realized that 'no one' was able to get on it! That does not say anything good or convincing about the final product.

That is actually 100% incorrect. That was the entire point of my previous post, The ONLY THING simliar between Beta and GAME are the actual gameplay experience. Not connection issues, not code issues.

Well seeing that the game is 100% online I think those connection issues would be pretty big, don't you think?

The version we have and release version are going to be different BUT no that much.

SHANE23 ]
COWonCRACK ]

jeepers i would buy it just cause its socom and im 100% sure it wont have the problems we are experiencing on the beta. the beta is on a completely different development stage then the actual game is, and really cant be used as a gage as to how bad the game will actually be. but then again i guess i can be so light hearted cause i get my copy freeXD thanks to urgent fury!11!!!1!

*very slow motion and over exaggerated high-five with urgent fury, ending with a closeup of my face with a big smile* just like the movies.

It is a different version but it is not far from release. It is not like we are playing a 2 year old revision, what would be the point in testing the servers with a VERY old revision? You would want to be able to test with the latest version you can.

Will the beta and release be the same? NO but it is not going to be night and day either.

ExActly... I'm not buying this argument at all. I'm a web designer since 2000 and I know when I build a site for an individual or a company and test it out before going live that it's pretty much the same site! LOL That's the point... test how everything lays out, operates.. etc. That's the whole point of a testing.

you guys gotta remember, there priority is not the beta. there priority is patching the actual game.

at3dave ]
CritiKiL ]

I do know about BETA testing. It tests only a certain part of code. However, it is a reflection of the overall performance of 'gameplay' that this BETA is for. Hence, the gameplay that we are experiencing in the BETA, directly reflects how the game 'itself' will function. So, unless they fix these issues on or before the release...you are looking at what the 'game nperformance' will be like.[/b]

Not to mention that this is the 'SECOND BETA TEST' of this game! It makes me wonder what kinds of problems/issues they had with the 'FIRST ONE', being that the second has soo many. I bet you not any of you were able to 'even play' that BETA after the 3rd 1.6 patch! I tried all day long, and only just this morning realized that 'no one' was able to get on it! That does not say anything good or convincing about the final product.

That is actually 100% incorrect. That was the entire point of my previous post, The ONLY THING simliar between Beta and GAME are the actual gameplay experience. Not connection issues, not code issues.

With all due respect, I don't think you grasp my point. The 'X-Connection' issue, is ONE of the things they are trying to correct. It 'IS' a function of the overall games performance, and it is not working correctly, like all the other issues troubling the game. And I said 'nothing' about any 'code issues':

"The SOCOM Confrontation 1.50 patch addresses the following issues:

Fixed numerous stability issues.

Fixed an issue where the latency detection was detecting abnormal latency and freezing player input but the red X was not being displayed.

Further improved the latency detection.

Fixed numerous framerate hitches during gameplay.

The main purpose of this patch is to address a number of issues with the game."

REFERENCE:

http://socom.us.playstation.com/post/2008/10/SOCOM-Confrontation-Public-Beta-150-Patch-Incoming.aspx

From what I understood, they already have that the way they want it. The Red X is for packet loss that happens with users most often with unstable connections, like people using to much of thier own bandwith when they want to be on the internet and play the game online at the same time, probably in a wireless environent. I have a direct, stable, wired connection. I seen the red X one time during the initial beta, before the 1st patch. Thats besides the point though.

The Beta does not REFLECT the overall performance of the game.. Its not Meant to. It's meant to be a means for testing parts of code that they will implement in the Game.

Thanks for sayin with all due respect, Im speaking strictly the same way, I am in no way tryin to be condescending? (i dont know how to spell it) LoL.

Guest [+30]PuddyTat

okay, im pretty dumb about all this shit, so somebody please explain it to me:

the game is already written on disks and ready to ship correct? or do they burn thousands of games the day before they ship?

if the game is already on disk, then the problems being patched during the beta are server issues, not game issues. so what ever issues we have with the game right now, we will have the day of release. it will require more patches to fix these issues. how is it that a DL beta could possibly be so much different than the actual game.

i would love a clear, inteligent explanation of this, please.

I am a software developer and I have conducted several beta programs.

I don't know where the idea of a beta being "just to test certain parts" comes from.

A beta is the last stage before release and the code includes all components, as intended in the final product.

In most cases, 99.9% of the code in a beta is final code.

How can the beta have 99.99% of the code when they limited our game options to tease us? There are alot more options we haven't seen. ???

I also will be picking up my copy on release day. If there is a midnight release, I'll be there in my Dragon outfit picking it up. I do not expect it to be a night/day difference. When this game has played smoothly it is 10000000% the game I have waited for. I am staying on target. ;)

If I have to get through a patch or two for that, then so be it. It's not like I couldn't use the free time more productively anyways. Maybe finish some of the trim carpentry around the house. Oh well.

Socom is still the ONLY game, imo. 95% of PS online games aren't for me. SOme people might think they are A-ok, I think they are worthless. My ps3 game library consists of, ummm........SOcom Beta......uuhhhhhhh........Jericho.....and umm....that's it. ;D ;D

I don't know where the idea of a beta being "just to test certain parts" comes from.

A beta is the last stage before release and the code includes all components, as intended in the final product.

I'm a web designer and it's the same there. You test the product before making the last changes. It's silly for ppl to say otherwise.

I'm a web designer and it's the same there. You test the product before making the last changes. It's silly for ppl to say otherwise.

If we had the full code now, we would have clan options, all the maps, all the community stuff, everything. But we don't.

I can't wait but I do got to say. It doesn't matter how many other options they have in the game. If the servers aren't right and the game play issues are there the game will only be fun for so long. But I got two copies reserved and fully paid can't wait.

But I do got to say I am hoping for the best but planning for the worst.

If we had the full code now, we would have clan options, all the maps, all the community stuff, everything. But we don't.

OK, if you want to neat pick. But the code that actually makes gameplay is right there already.

Listen, it's my job. You don't want to hear what I have to say. That's OK. I also wish for a miracle.

Once the game is released, we can all come back here and see who was right.

at3dave ]

Web/Graphic Design is far different and alot easier than game coding. ASCII and HTML and code like that is a far more simple language to learn, understand and use.

Your comparing apples to oranges dude. I know that, but the "testing" is done the same way and is the same type of thing. You don't put a beta out there that isn't going to mimic the game or site you intend to go live with. C'mon now. LOL ;)

And you guys are talking about options in the game. That has nothing to do with server, latency and lag issues. That's what they are mainly testing in that map they gave us. Not so much game play.