Gas Prices Today... & Who Changed thier old habits of driving?

I watched a News Story on 60 mins last night about the Saudi Oil. And they were talking about how America is using less Oil today drastically compared to when we were paying those crazy prices. And the little Saudi Oil guy was worried about it.

I'm wondering how many of you guys changed your Oil consumption. Or maybe forced to change. I know I was not going anywhere pretty much forced to. And still today as the prices have lowered I don't go anywhere without thinking about paying for fuel. And then my Natural Gas at the house ( not bodily ) I have the water tank set to low. And I bought electric heaters for the bed rooms at night so we save that way.

What I am hoping is we all stick to what ever we are doing. If there is one thing we can do for our country it's change from relying so must on foreign oil. Iran won't be able to do anything with nuclear without selling oil.

SHANE23 ]
CDBS14 ]

gas prices always drop by winter' date=' then they go back up for summer. i have noticed that trend for the past 3 years.

[/quote']

They drop but not from $4/gallon to $1.50/gallon!! Maybe 30-50 cents but never this much!

well last year i think it dropped like a buck. and where is it 1.50 a gallon? holy crap it is still like 3 bucks in NYC.

CDBS14 ]
SHANE23 ]
CDBS14 ]

gas prices always drop by winter' date=' then they go back up for summer. i have noticed that trend for the past 3 years.

[/quote']

They drop but not from $4/gallon to $1.50/gallon!! Maybe 30-50 cents but never this much!

well last year i think it dropped like a buck. and where is it 1.50 a gallon? holy crap it is still like 3 bucks in NYC.

Lets leave this talk to the people who can drive CD. ;)

All I know is gas is now $1.58 by me and I am saving a ton of money now. 20 bux to fill instead of over 40. I didn't change any of my driving habits to affect this though.

CDBS14 ]
SHANE23 ]
CDBS14 ]

[/quote']

I kinda find it hard to believe your still in the 3.00 range. lol............but I could be wrong

I seriously changed my driving habits to where I was riding my bike down Lake Shore Drive's 4 miles to work in the summer and early fall. Saved a buttload of money I would have otherwise spent on gas AND got in much more of a work out every day.

Now that prices are going down dramatically, I find I still schedule and map drives so that I make best use of routes and many stops for one trip instead of many trips altogether.

Price for gas two days ago here in downtown Chicago was $1.78 a gallon.

The oil barons learned a harsh reminder that they control a little bit, but it's only the amount of control that we GIVE them.

From what I understand where I live in Western NY the prices are the highest in the country (continental states) at $2.12 a gallon. The Indian reservations here are at $1.45 a gallon (tax free).

I started car pooling 3 years ago for work. Even with the dropped prices I will continue to.

Our Prius takes like $15 to fill up now and drive a long ways.

The price dropping is basic economics. Supply vs. Demand. The supply is there, it's just that so many HAVE altered their fuel consumption patterns that the price HAS to drop to try and get people to use it again. I just hope America doesn't get suckered into the same routine.

We really didn't change our driving habits too much. I didn't rod the beemer unless needed. That helped some. At work, we had to start charging a delivery fee, which some people wouldn't pay, so less deliveries.

At the house, we installed one of those programmable thermostats. It allows us to keep the temp very low during the day (58), and it kicks up to 68 at 4:30.

Gas just dipped below 1.30 here today. Lowest I saw was 1.28.

Tow hit the nail on the head. Supply and demand dictates prices. However, OPEC is considering cutting back production to raise oil prices back the to preferred rate of $80 a barrel.

Granted that's only 20% of what the U.S. imports, but it will affect prices globally.

I would have to say my driving habits didn't change a whole lot. I still went on vacation over the summer, still rode my motorcycle just for the pleasure of riding it. I didn't drop the top on my car and go for joy rides along the beach though, but still drove it regularly other than that.

I sell gas and have all kind of issues because of the price drop.

One of wich is it drops way too fast right now. I cant get rid of the fuel in my tank before the next store gets new shipment and it drops 15-20 cents for them. Then I take a loss to get rid of my fuel so I can be competitive. Then I get my fuel and another store gets thiers 2 days later and it all happens again.

If I was to buy fuel today. It would have costed me Wholesale $1.8097. But I have plenty of fuel in my tank so I couldnt take the gas. I am losing money selling it for $2.09/gal and I am the highest in town now. The rest of the stores are at $1.99/gal.

One thing I have going for me, We dont have the ethenol crap in our fuel. Many of the stations around us do have a small percentage of ethenol in thier gas and there have been a HUGE amount of complaints about the effects of this. So people still will buy at higher price to get no Ethenol.

What some of you need to realize is that gas prices are not based soley on supply and demand! Remember ALL oil prices are based on the US dollar. The US Dollar was VERY weak and still is weak but better then it was.

Also speculators control that price guessing on demands.

I would REALLY like to see a chart to compare actual supply and usage over the past few years. I bet usage has not dropped so significantly to warrant such a price drop. I know that China tries to purchase ANY access oil that we do not import.

CDBS14 ]
SHANE23 ]
CDBS14 ]

[/quote']

You need to get around NYC more if its still 3 bucks where you are. I go from Bronx to Manhattan everyday and the prices are in the low 2's

HogWild ]

If oil is not controlled soley by supply and demand, why is OPEC considering cutting production to create a shortage and drive the price back up then?

There are other factors of course, but the largest factor is supply versus demand.

You guys are both right. Opec is cutting production to drive the price up through those speculators Shane is talking about. It has somewhat to do with actual S&D, but it leans more towards what those speculators think.

The whole oil industry is fucked for anyone not in Opec. It really looked like it might change there for a few weeks, but it's mostly going to go back to business as usual, until the world stops relying on a few sources for oil, it'll probably never change.