The Ads causing virus attacks

Im not bashing you guys for the ads here as I do understand them, but this is the second time with this site that some virus thing tried to get on my computer. I only have three tabs open, my site, socom.com, and here so i know its my our site and socom.com it has to do with these ads. Anyone else experiencing this.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Directors

We know about this and are trying to get screen shots emailed to me as posted in the ranger section... send them to shane @ urgentfury.com

Just happened to me for the first time after right after reading this thread lol, I had to unplug my wifi card and then re-open chrome to get rid of the pest...Here are some screen shots before I finally got fed up with trying to click out of it...

yo.jpg

yo1.jpg

yo2.jpg

yo3.jpg

yo4.jpg

yo5.jpg

Talk about annoying. I knew it was bogus just based on the numbers it spewed. Number 1 this is my BRAND new netbook. I don't even have any form of Photoshop installed in it as you can see where I had to paste the screenshots in paint (I did have PS in here, but had to restore to factory settings a week or so ago). There aren't even close to 100 documents total in my CPU, but yet there's 101 trojans in the "My Docs" folder alone?! Also it says 11/18/2008 for some of the files...This computer wasn't even MADE until some time in 2009 according to the box date (I think it was manufactured in February), so I find it hard to believe a file has been there since before it's existence lol.

• Directors

Acrually that is a perfect example of What I need both our ad serving network and our ad management team are trying to find the source of this...

We are afraid it might be a bot that has picked up on UF, but we are not sure at all... please email all of this to me as well shane @ urgentfury.com

This doesn't necessarily fix the problem for UF. But a great way to help you guys individually is getting the Adblock Plus Add-on for Firefox. You can set it to block all common ads that open up on various sites. If the Ads never load up they cant attack your computer.

I dont know if the addon is available for Chrome or IE, I use Firefox since I cant stand IE and haven't tried Chrome.

• Directors

Yah its killing me... we can't really find the source... in one of my many calls I got yesterday, someone (I can't remember who) said this had happened to them too...

A bot had found the ad tag in the source code and placed a cookie on a visitors computer that would tell it to push the site on a compuer based on a cookie...

• Directors

If you see an ad like this, it is not a real virus... it is a malicious advertisement to get you to buy antivirus software that really does not work...

Some of the ads I have seen are known to be some what scammy.

Like the teeth whitening one. Our local news channel did a story about a woman that got scammed. What they do is trick you into signing up for a subscription service to a bunch of bullshit and charge your credit card as they please. See story http://www.kfor.com/news/local/inyourcorner/ . That lady got took for about $200. And I keep seeing the ads pop up here.

Also you don't make that much off of these ads to make it worth while. Plus instead of making this site an exclusive gaming site different it's making it an ad fest a lot like the other big game sites like GB.

There's other ways to charge...

You make a Free Agent draft pool where if your a player looking for a clan to join that plays in the UF tournaments. They enter a draft pool and have to go where ever they get drafted to.

The clans that need players then pay you a fee to enter the draft. (You know how hard it is to find players)

That's just strange Marauder. :P

As most know, I don't like the ads one bit, but I don't see how people say they are getting virus's from them. I don't run any Anti-Virus programs on this work laptop, and I haven't had a problem yet. The generic pop-up blocker on IE has stopped all the pop-up ads just fine.

• Directors

Yah we do not know what is going with the ads on the bottom... the top banner is showing the correct ads...

As I have said in many threads, the two banner ad locations are here to stay... they facilitate improvements to the server and such... and the overall cost of Urgent Fury...

But we are not going to just let any advertiser in here... right now we are trying to work the bugs out and the durn virus ads are unacceptable