what size tv is the best 4 socom

Chaka ]

i think 42-50 no bigger and make it a DLP

I have a 52" Widescreen that I like playing on but my PS3 is on that now so I am using a 32".

I prefer the 52".

I have been told that DLP is not what you want for online gaming. I don't know how true that statement was since I have never played on a TV with DLP but they said there was a little lag on the picture due to the extra processing time. Anyone know the truth on this?

42" plasma. Or a tubed 32" They both are good for a PS2.

Goat puts on his AV installation company. owner hat..

yep I actually agree totally with RedOct.. a 42 plas or else just a good ole 32" tube works best for Socom Ca. This is libel to change however when and if they release a socom title for the pS-3 format. If you happen to be using a ps3 for Socom CA then I'd like to offer some so called expert opinion and tips on the video settings.

Ok I'm not tooting my own horn, I don't claim to be the be all know all but I do have a bit of experience when it comes to AV and well take it or leave it ..here's my advice.

Socom CA is a pS-2 platform, why the hell they didn't just wait a couple weeks and goat ahead and release both a version for ps-2 and ps-3 is beyond me and just another Sony mystery.

If you have a ps-3 then read on if not... well... go get one!! LOL

The last software update contained some very nice improvements for upscaling graphics from ps2 games on the ps3.

Without going too much into it I'll just confine this to how it relates to Socom CA

By default the upscaler is set to on but is also set to normal.. if you are using a widescreen, Ie.. 42 plasma then you need to change the setting to Full screen if you are using a standard 4x3 TV then leave it at normal.

You will notice a second option called ps2 smoothing.. turn it on!! it's a good thing...

now start up your game and get into your profile and go to your options.. under video DO NOT select 420i you must select the standard integrated format from within Socom in order for the upscaler to be utilized if you select 420 then it overrides the up-scaler on the ps3 and you are not going to get the nice 1080i upscale. To add if you have a selection within your TV (this is almost a standard option for plasma's) then it will contain a auto centering function.. what this means is you don't want to use anything but the defualt setting for centering the video within Socom if your television is equipped with a auto centering function and it is turned on.. and you mess with the centering in Socom's vid options you are going to get your picture frame hoping around as both Socom and your TV compete to stabilize and center the video.

Selection of wide screen or normal..? ok if you have selected full screen for the PS3's game settings for ps2 games then it will fill the screen... it's totally up to you, if you then compress the picture to widescreen withing Socom's video settings are use the normal selection.. personally I don't select widescreen, sure it gives you a wider field of view but it also compresses the image.. again though that one is up to you.

Lastly brightness or gamma settings.. now this is by trial and error but what I have found is that it is better to not adjust the brightness control up too much within socom,, if your picture is too dark then adjust the brightness and or contrast of your television in lieu of using Socom gamma setting. This last one is just my experienced opinion but for me it just seems to be a better option then forcing the brightness thru the games video options.. basically it boils down to this,, DEFUALT all your video settings in Socom's video options and use any other method available to get the desired video setting you are comfortable with.. if all else fails then ok go ahead and tweek the games vid options.. but IMO the less you do so the better the game will function.

One final note on Plas' ....a HDMI interface cable is a MUST HAVE... component RGB HD is ok but HDMI is better, S-Video is ok if your TV is a 27" or less and if you are using the standard one line video plug and you have a larger then 32" TV your living in the past and probably should look into upgrading that IBM 33mgz 8mb of ram 240kb hard drive computer running netzero you are using as well. ;)

I used to play on a 27" regular tv and played quite well actually. Usually going into double digits when I warred. I sold the t.v. and bought a 37" Wide Screen LCD HD TV, and I play like shit now. It seems as if there is more screen to process and my crosshairs move wildely across the screen now. I actually changed my control configuration to adjust the look speed to help out a little. NOW I SUCK EVEN WORSE! I wish I would have never started playing on that T.V. from hell.

Other than that, I love the t.v. for movies and shit. :-\

i have a 56" zenith DLP that i play socom ps3 style on. Ive done the upscaler bit, and it looks pretty sharp. I have also tried it with the progressive scan on and off. With it off, Which Goat recomended, its a tad bit blurry on SOME stuff, but overall looks as good as your gonna get socom to look. With the progressive turned on, its not blurry, but it also sacrifices a very small amount of quality. either way, both seem to look alot better than the old school ps2 and 32" tube setup i used to have. My biggest problem i have had with upgrading to the ps3, is the controller, for a couple different reasons. I had to totally reset my mp setting in game, because the controller is WAY more sensitive than the ps2. I would suggest that anyone who is getting a ps3 soon or ever, spend alot of time in respwans til you get the feel of the controller, and get a handle on your settings. NO RUMBLE, makes it real hard to know if your even shooting sometimes with a silencer attached. That also take a bit to get used to.

There are also options on the ps3 to tweak some of the color options. I turned the rgb settings to full, and i also think there is one to adjust how the colors black and white are seen.(not real sure about this last one.) So in conclusion, i think as long as you have the ps3 on a hdtv, then they have some kind of options to tweak around til you get the look you want. Also, use the hdmi cable for the ps3 a bit more pricy, but worth it. Also, sony had a hdmi cable they were selling at about half the price of other ones, so check into that. (they were with the systems in the store)

LoL! no not trying to school anyone..

Didn’t I already cover the LCDvsPlasma debate a while back in detail?

Anyway, the question was best 4 Socom.. and the suggestion was for Ps-2 games played on a Ps-3 and even more particular Socom.

If you are talking gaming well that’s sort of a general topic.. for computer games, yes LCD since the refresh rate does indeed come into play. For Play station however the plasma is going to give you a better quality picture. For example a blu ray disc on a plasma will kick a LCD’s @ss, however playing WOW on a LCD is superior to using a plasma.. Of course I’m not saying I even know what WoW is? Other than it’s some computer game my son plays. That and I laughed my butt off on the Leroy Jenkins youtube vid.

Besides none of it matters much I now believe my crappy playing is due to me falling asleep at the controller…

Maybe I shouldn’t have installed one of these?

J/K that wmv. Was sent to me by a salesman from a tv mounts manufacturing company.. Cool stuff but I don’t think the wife would go for it.. ;)