SOCOM: Confrontation Update October 20th, 2008

Posted by Seth Luisi

Hello,

I wanted to keep everyone up to date on where we are and what we are doing.

The consumer response to SOCOM: Confrontation has been huge. We are consistently seeing almost 100,000 people log in everyday with peaks of 25,000 simultaneous users. On average, you are playing about 3.1 hours per person with a total of 300,000 player hours everyday. I would like to thank all of you for helping to make SOCOM: Confrontation such a great success.

As I'm sure many of you are aware, the launch has not gone without its share of problems. Unfortunately, the server environment is not holding up during peak loads. We've made many changes and improvements to the server to improve the issues (the first few days were really rocky) but we are still seeing server issues when we get up to around 25,000 simultaneous players during peak hours. Our primary focus at this time is to resolve these server issues. We have all available resources looking into the issues and we are trying to resolve them as quickly as possible. It is not as easy as adding more servers, we have to identify and fix the bottlenecks in the system which are preventing the servers from scaling properly. The servers should continue to get progressively better as we roll out server side updates.

As a reminder, our scheduled daily server maintenance is between 5am and 8am PDT (8am to 11am EDT). We bring the servers down during this time to roll out updates. The servers will usually only be down for about 20-30 minutes but some updates may take longer.

In parallel to the server updates, we are also working on a new client patch which resolves some client side stability issues. These issues include getting booted to the XMB, large number of players getting disconnected from a specific game and other issues. We've been working on and testing this since the game launched and we should have a final version ready for release in the next week or so. It is hard to provide an exact date or timeframe as we need to make sure the patch is thoroughly tested and does not introduce any new issues.

We are also working on a patch to enable trophies and address various user feedback but this will be after the stability patch. Our top priority is getting both the servers and client as stable as possible before making any changes which could possibly cause other issues. Please continue to provide feedback in the SOCOM: Confrontation PlayStation.com forum. We do read it and use the feedback to make further changes and tweaks in future updates.

Regards,

Seth Luisi

Director of Development

Sony Computer Entertainment America

This was posted on socom.com less then an hour ago.

Looks like the servers should start to calm down a bit, since they will improve on them and the number of people getting on each day will slowly decline.

But, it looks like we won't get any features updated or bugs fixed and are stuck with them at least for a month.

My problem is Socom 2 had an AVG of 40-50 thousand users. What did they think was going to happen with Confrontation? What 20k at most?

I don't buy it. I don't think Sony is responsible for the servers. All other titles, COD for example, have to use their or outsourced servers (demonware). So why does /6 get preferential treatment? If they do then why don't they have the capability to handle 25k at once? If Sony is supporting server side wouldn't they KNOW and be PREPARED for 50-100k min?

SHANE23 ]

My problem is Socom 2 had an AVG of 40-50 thousand users. What did they think was going to happen with Confrontation? What 20k at most?

I don't buy it. I don't think Sony is responsible for the servers. All other titles, COD for example, have to use their or outsourced servers (demonware). So why does /6 get preferential treatment? If they do then why don't they have the capability to handle 25k at once? If Sony is supporting server side wouldn't they KNOW and be PREPARED for 50-100k min?

Most of it has to do with money. They didn't want to spend money putting up servers that were not going to be used. They would rather start out with a low amount of servers and work their way up until they reach an adequate and comfortable amount.

CDBS14 ]

have you guys wondered.

there are grenade launchers' date=' AT-4, and RPG; yet there are no vehicles, so i ask what is the point of these weapons if there are no vehicles just infantry?

[/quote']

yeah i miss the vehicles, they shoulda just took tha rpgs and speacialy the 203s off tha damn game, it makes no sense lol good point cdbs

o yea bring back tha pmn mines!

SHANE23 ]

I don't buy it. I don't think Sony is responsible for the servers. All other titles, COD for example, have to use their or outsourced servers (demonware). So why does /6 get preferential treatment?

Maybe because it's a Playstation ONLY title? IDK other than that...

SnowBud ]
CDBS14 ]

have you guys wondered.

there are grenade launchers' date=' AT-4, and RPG; yet there are no vehicles, so i ask what is the point of these weapons if there are no vehicles just infantry?

[/quote']

Didn't Socom 2 have all of these weapons with no vehicles?

My thoughts exactly. RPG's, AT-4's, and 203's aren't used only for vehicles. They CAN be used on vehicles but there are plenty of other ways to use them. Shooting them into a small room where you think a small fireteam might be hiding or down a narrow corridor where enemies camp are just a few of the things.

I've been trying the RPG's and Bazooka out. I never used to care much for them. But they are so cool in this game that I'm starting to like them. It takes practice to use them. Because if you miss everyone knows where you are and you only get one shot. Plus they weight you down the whole game.

I am not that great at Run and Gun. So when I get into a heated firefight I am usually at a disadvantage. But with a launcher I can equal out the thing. Same with the 203's... I see why they are available. And I like them.

I don't use the 203's but I see if a guy really sucks at the game. The 203 might be a good choice for him.

Ya the 203 is bitch made. I hate when your in a firefight with someone and they hit u with one.Its almost like a kick in the dick.I used to use the rpg's in cod. They were super hard to use because you started of with the rpg lowered and u had to aim then shoot which took sumtime so if someone was shooting at you you wouldnt have time to aim then shoot.YA BRING BACK PMMS. Dont get me wrong i like the map choices the way they look.Does anybody else get sick of the same three maps.Crossroads,desert glory,and frostfire. Ya i liek the maps but they should of giving us something different liek a foxhunt or a sandstorm or a nightstalker.Something different. Xroads, frostfire,and dg have been out for what 4-5 years now n we only stopped playing them when socom 3 came out.

I don't mind having all weapons in this game... INCLUDING MINES GOD DAMNIT!!! LOL sorry... but he's the deal. The RPG and AT4's we used in S2 could breach all breach points. It's completely dumb to not be able to breach a point with nothing but c4. DUMB! That was the beauty of RPGS and AT4s... I didn't do a lot of killing with them on S2, but loved to do a fast breach or scare an enemy out of hiding. We should never limit guns in this game. I await the time we can set bobby traps and shit! LOL Give you different combos you could set up for the enemy. That'd be tight!

I LOVE that pmn's are gone. Stupid little bastards. It is so nice to be able to take my boots off and walk through the grass and bushes again without fear of some random mine. :P

Makes the gameplay a little funner too. No more place a mine and camp for 18 minutes!! I always felt that mines were more for lone wolfs and not team players. Mines let people run off by themselves and do what they wanted, kinda defeats the purpose of team play, imo. Plus you don't have to worry anymore about some shit in random rooms placing mines without telling the team where they are.