Very interesting read I found on the Socom forums

Ok this is a user's proposal to the "side switch" and "bring back traditional tiebreaker" debates and I think he has something here:

Please Note: I have very clearly written a novel here. Those of you with ADD... sorry, this post isn't for you.

Step 1

Trash the stat tiebreaker. Read on, you'll find out why.

Step 2

Buy Seth a Big Mac, large fries and a coke and sit him down in front of this topic so he can read it.

Step 3

Implement the following in the place of the stat tiebreaker. Read and discuss.

P-Noozi's Tiebreaker Solution

Some people argue that we should go back to the classic tiebreaker, meaning they should get rid of side-switching and add an extra round. Others argue that the new system is much better. This proposal is a compromise between those two stances, and it works out the best in that it maintains the fairness of side-switching, as well as the competitive nature of a round-based tiebreaker.

I will use the abbreviation "TB" for tiebreaker.

Basically, they should do it like baseball. What exactly does that mean? I'll explain.

So let's say the Red Sox and the Yankees are tied 4-4 after the end of the 9th inning. What do they do? They go into extra innings. But really, every "inning" doesn't really count as one. It counts twice, in that there are really two half-innings, in which both teams have an opportunity to score.

The problem with the classic SOCOM tiebreaker was that the TB only gave one team an opportunity to play on offense. But what do I mean by "offense" when talking about SOCOM? Well, no map in SOCOM is 100% balanced. An analogy can be made that the team playing on the advantageous side of the map (for example, Terrorists on Foxhunt) is like the team that is batting in baseball (playing on offense). The classic TB was like overtime in the NFL. If one team scores in an NFL overtime, they win the game. The other team doesn't have a chance to retaliate. That is obviously unfair.

The solution is to have two TB rounds instead of the classic one TB round. This is analogous to the two half-innings found in each extra inning in professional baseball. Each team is given one round on each side (offense & defense) for a total of two TB rounds. Just like in baseball, the TB would keep on going until one team is able to either win both TB rounds, or win one and draw one. Just like in professional baseball, there are no ties in SOCOM.

Another huge advantage this would give us is that we'd be able to maintain side-switching. The reason there could be no side-switching in classic SOCOM was that the number of rounds (potential tiebreaker included) was 11, an odd number which could not be evenly divided. With this newly proposed TB system, the round total would always be an even number (a base 8 rounds, which could become 10, 12, 14, etc.). Side-switching would occur after every TB round.

Examples

Situation 1: The Commandos win 5-3 in regulation. [No tiebreaker needed - Commandos win]

Situation 2

1. The Commandos and Mercenaries tie 4-4 in regulation. [Tiebreaker needed]

2. The Commandos defeat the Mercenaries 2-0 in tiebreaker. [Commandos win]

Situation 3

2. The Commandos defeat the Mercenaries 1-0 (with one draw) in tiebreaker. [Commandos win]

Situation 4

2. The Commandos and Mercenaries tie 1-1 in tiebreaker. [Additional tiebreaker needed]

3. The Commandos defeat the Mercenaries 2-0 in additional tiebreaker. [Commandos win]

Here is a link to the thread:

http://forums.socom.com/socom/board/message?board.id=confrontation&thread.id=80033

Interesting. So basically he's in favor of college overtime rules where both teams get the chance to score, even if the other has already scored.

I still would rather have the 11 rounds and finish it that way. I loved it that way because it gave home field advantage it's true meaning. Going into a war, you're expected to be on the weaker side of the map because its not your territory. I loved being on the "weaker" more disadvantaged side because it really emphasized the importance of working as a team and working to win.

This is why I disagree with his position in the above post. He's suggesting there be two half-inning overtimes, basically giving each team a chance to win. My issue is that if we bring back the original TB rules and side switching (none), there is no point in having his idea. I would be VERY annoyed if I'm played Frostfire Demo Terrorists the whole map and then suddenly for one random ass half-inning overtime, I'm on the SEALs and I get fucked over and lose the map.

I want the old TB rules with no side switching. We never had to guess who won a round. If we won, it's because we won 3-2 or 5-4. Not because it was 3-3 but we had 3 more hostage kills.

If /6 released a patch today fixing the TB rules, I guarantee I would be on Socom about 40% more just because of that. I hate having to wonder sometimes and hate having to switch sides (even though it's "fair")

The "extra inning" theory will just promote camping in its worse form. As an example its tied after regulation lets say on quarantine or fallen demo. One team wins the "top half of the inning" now all they have to do is get the bomb and run directly to the water and camp the "bottom half of the inning". If anything im more in favor of the sudden death theory. Some maps are not 100% balanced but we all have won on both sides of those maps, it just stresses the importance of teamwork and communication to achieve victory.

I understand what he is trying to do but I don't think it will work. Theoretically you could play the same map and mode ALL NIGHT!! Screw that!

I also don't like the fact that a single round tie breaker can heavily favor one side like in past Socoms.

Is there a middle ground? I don't know. Maybe inbetween rounds they could post what the score is and who the tie breaker is favoring?

Lil V.C ]

i for one hate people committing suicide to 'help' their team win. i just think thats has got to be the most stupid concept ever

I watched a team vote out one of their OWN clan mates to win. Ya I am not kidding. I told them they were some great clan mates. They just said fuck you. I said that they are a class act. Then I went to the other side and beat them on the other team.

Red0ctobeR ]
Lil V.C ]

i for one hate people committing suicide to 'help' their team win. i just think thats has got to be the most stupid concept ever

I watched a team vote out one of their OWN clan mates to win. Ya I am not kidding. I told them they were some great clan mates. They just said fuck you. I said that they are a class act. Then I went to the other side and beat them on the other team.

This had the making of a true story, but then you had to go and put this on the end which made it a fable.

Red0ctobeR ]

Then I went to the other side and beat them on the other team.

HogWild ]

Ya know.... I have always found, that having the most rounds won at the end of the game prevents ties from occuring in the first place.

It's not exactly rocket science, but it seems to work.

i agreee w/ hoggwild controlling round count is most effective, but in tha case it come down 2 a tie, it should b a sudden death and we should have options in a custom game, so that way it can b 1 round of suppression 4 tha TB round ... so if ur playing demo or control and its tied, bcus u were able 2 from tha options menu, make tha game w/ a TB round that is suppression.... if ur playing suppression still an extra round of suppression might b necessary ... it also eliminates most camping

H099 throw your tags on your name kid. Go to control panel and edit your name so everyone knows your affiliation. Just put [*N*] in front of your current name.

I like your idea H099. Better yet make control points the default tiebreaker cause thats prolly where the least ties will occur and it makes sense cause in that mode your object is to "control" the map.

HogWild ]

I was making a joke.....

Of total rounds should be an uneven number, and you play until there is a winner.

Not joking, get rid of Elimination. I feel like I am playing against 10 year old school girls on that map because they all hide like one when the shooting starts.

As true as it is, it's no different than old school suppression. :P That's prolly why it's still in there.