SOCOM Confrontation bigger online than Killzone 2, Sony producer says

What is he smoking!! ::)

by Andrew Yoon { Jul 29th 2009 at 10:19AM }

What's the biggest online game on the PS3? No, it's not Killzone 2. No, it's not even Resistance 2. According to SCEA senior producer Mark Rogers, SOCOM Confrontation stands above both of Sony's high-profile first-party FPS offerings by having the most simultaneous online connections on the PlayStation Network. He attributes Confrontation's success to the community's commitment to the franchise. Whereas other gamers may play an online game for a few weeks and move on, SOCOM fans have proven to be far more dedicated (despite the game's ... troubled launch).

The devotion of the SOCOM community will be rewarded by an upcoming patch, Rogers promises. While the Slant Six team has been largely quiet about progress on the patch, he says the massive scale and scope of the patch has led to an extended testing cycle. With the promise of DLC in the future, it's clear that SOCOM addicts will find even more reason to avoid playing other games for a long time.

But he said most simultaneous online connections.. meaning most people playing at once.. which means that PSN is SAD. When 16k a night is the most you have on for any online game.. that's just.. sad. I don't believe it though. I don't think that Socom has more than either of that COD games. Unless he means PS3 exclusives.. which means.. that's still sad as hell.

Nemesis ]

The devotion of the SOCOM community will be rewarded by an upcoming half-assed patch, Rogers promises. While the Slant Six team has been largely quiet about progress on the patch (otherwise they know they're lying), he says the massive scale shit of a patch has led to an extended testing cycle. With the false promise of DLC in the future, it's clear that SOCOM addicts will find even more reason to play other games for a long time.

It needed some editing...I think it's right now

Lockdown ]
Nemesis ]

The devotion of the SOCOM community will be rewarded by an upcoming half-assed patch' date=' Rogers promises. While the Slant Six team has been largely quiet about progress on the patch (otherwise they know they're lying), he says the massive scale shit of a patch has led to an extended testing cycle. With the false promise of DLC in the future, it's clear that SOCOM addicts will find even more reason to play other games for a long time.

You forgot to mention that the reason Slant Six is "largely quiet" is because they largely laid everyone off.

It's about longevity, and this quote

"He attributes Confrontation's success to the community's commitment to the franchise. Whereas other gamers may play an online game for a few weeks and move on, SOCOM fans have proven to be far more dedicated (despite the game's ... troubled launch)."

Your fucking right its about the fans, and its not about slant six its about the name brand. Socom has always been more fun for people who care more about team work and objectives than a high kill respawn matchs.

Sgt.JoeFriday ]
Lockdown ]
Nemesis ]

The devotion of the SOCOM community will be rewarded by an upcoming half-assed patch' date=' Rogers promises. While the Slant Six team has been largely quiet about progress on the patch (otherwise they know they're lying), he says the massive scale shit of a patch has led to an extended testing cycle. With the false promise of DLC in the future, it's clear that SOCOM addicts will find even more reason to play other games for a long time.

You forgot to mention that the reason Slant Six is "largely quiet" is because they largely laid everyone off.

Yeah Slant Suxs contract went out and they did not resign, most of them were laid off.. Inside sources say that after the patch and the DLC, socom wont have any more... and Zipper has begun work on socom 4 already....

I think everyone is assuming that Confrontation will not be the last installment of Socom. And even if it was a success and almost a year after its not, what would make anyone think that there won't be another Socom? I think the fact that its failing is proof there will be more socoms. Seriously read the article, look how much abuse all of us take and you want to throw that money maker in the trash? If the game was great and was patched often and had DLC often it would be a cash cow for sony. Socom 4 is inevitable and if you disagree we shall see.

Socom owns on playablitilty and longevity, if the game was correct it would make tons of money.

Neoblackhound ]

Lol where is everyone getting Socom 4 from lol there hasn't even been a hint at number 4. You guys and your wishful thinking.

No there was a site that had it listed along with another game...

a clan named RMD posted somethig about it on the socom forums, and then they took it off the list and said it was a typo and a mistake (I myself am not buying into that one), why because they wanted to sell MAG.

RMD knows a few guys inside, and have said that work on Socom 4 has already started.(if they are correct)..I myself believe work on it has started:)

I would hope that Zipper would make another socom game, i mean its what they are known for.One guy I tallked to said MAG was also a testing ground for their next socom game..dont know what he meant.

It would be silly to think that Sony's number 1 online title wouldn't keep going. There is a reason why the last number in the Socom series was 3. It would make no business sense whatsoever not to carry on the name. Is Zipper just going to close up shop and retire after MAG? Or are they going to keep doing what developers do... Make games?

I can understand wanting to make the announcement for a title in the right place at the right time.

I guess I know where the term "Socrack-head" comes from. lol

Speaking of SOCOM 4, I really don't believe Zipper is making this game right now. They are in the midst of releasing a console game like no other. Nevermind FPS, or the graphics, or any other opinion you have about MAG. I have no idea what so ever if this game will be any good, or work for that matter.

But due to the fact that it will potentially be a 256 player game is monumental, they are gonna be in a huge spotlight after this game drops. If I'm correct, there has never been an online console game that has supported that many players. They are setting the bar really, really high and I think all of their attention is focused on that now and will be in the future. At least until Q2 of 2010.

Don't get me wrong, SOCOM 4 is eventually coming. The franchise is way too big for it not come out, this article kinda proves that. But I do not believe its being done by Zipper. If MAG fails, and fails big, they will go back to their roots.

Yeah a Sony Producer ALSO said we would be getting a finished product as well as that we will be pleasantly surprised on how good Socom would be.

Sony Producers are FULL OF SHIT!!!!

And notice they don't compare COD to Socom. Those blow Socom's numbers AWAY!!

o-Marlne-o ]
Neoblackhound ]

Lol where is everyone getting Socom 4 from lol there hasn't even been a hint at number 4. You guys and your wishful thinking.

No there was a site that had it listed along with another game...

a clan named RMD posted somethig about it on the socom forums' date=' and then they took it off the list and said it was a typo and a mistake (I myself am not buying into that one), why because they wanted to sell MAG.

RMD knows a few guys inside, and have said that work on Socom 4 has already started.(if they are correct)..I myself believe work on it has started:)

I would hope that Zipper would make another socom game, i mean its what they are known for.One guy I tallked to said MAG was also a testing ground for their next socom game..dont know what he meant.

[/quote']

That was wrong, i know what link you are talking about about. That website listed SOCOM4 and SYPHON FILTER 5 i think, both were referring to the PSP titles.

Im sorry to disappoint but everyone sounds as if SOCOM4 is going to be out next year. Also your own resilience to play a broken and under developed game will make the next studio, whoever SONY hands this franchise to; and will have them make a very low budget BIG HYPE game, simple as that with the same problems and the same issues, why?

Because they know socom has a community, they know that NO MATTER WHAT, they will have 20,000 sales on day one, they know you guys will line up on day one and buy that game, those same 20,000 that play it every night. THEY ARE JUST MILKING YOU GUYS, i still think what should have been done is sue for false advertisement, they advertised a game with so many features, the game is currently lacking them.

Who said anything bout them not having another Socom? That was just stupid, Im saying why assume they are working on Socom 4? Because a clan posted something about it? No thanks like I say ill believe when I see it. CD is right, http://playstation.joystiq.com/2009/07/08/psa-syphon-filter-5-socom-4-not-in-development/

Theres the article for it.

I agree with Irish, it will eventually come out, but right now its not even a thought.

CDBS14 ]

That was wrong' date=' i know what link you are talking about about. That website listed SOCOM4 and SYPHON FILTER 5 i think, both were referring to the PSP titles.

Im sorry to disappoint but everyone sounds as if SOCOM4 is going to be out next year. Also your own resilience to play a broken and under developed game will make the next studio, whoever SONY hands this franchise to; and will have them make a very low budget BIG HYPE game, simple as that with the same problems and the same issues, why?

Because they know socom has a community, they know that NO MATTER WHAT, they will have 20,000 sales on day one, they know you guys will line up on day one and buy that game, those same 20,000 that play it every night. THEY ARE JUST MILKING YOU GUYS, i still think what should have been done is sue for false advertisement, they advertised a game with so many features, the game is currently lacking them.

[/quote']

Yep, getting sue happy is the answer for everything!!

Oh my god, they didn't do it my way, I'm going to sue them. Sue thier asses. Oh my god, I burned myself with HOT coffee, I'm sueing them too. Oh my god, I drank motor oil and grew three extra testicles, it didn't say that on the box, I'm going to sue Valvoline. Oh my god, I didn't get a sun hat at the breast cancer awareness day, I'm going to sue them.

BigMoneyNacku ]
CDBS14 ]

That was wrong' date=' i know what link you are talking about about. That website listed SOCOM4 and SYPHON FILTER 5 i think, both were referring to the PSP titles.

[/quote']

Yep, getting sue happy is the answer for everything!!

Oh my god, they didn't do it my way, I'm going to sue them. Sue thier asses. Oh my god, I burned myself with HOT coffee, I'm sueing them too. Oh my god, I drank motor oil and grew three extra testicles, it didn't say that on the box, I'm going to sue Valvoline. Oh my god, I didn't get a sun hat at the breast cancer awareness day, I'm going to sue them.

why sue happy? My point is video game companies not only /6 in particular as ubisoft has done this before as well. These companies rely on the NAME of the franchise to produce hype and draw a large audience, they then produce a low budget game, uncompleted by launch day. After this they rely heavily on downloadable content such as PATCHES, developers are beginning to milk us, they are now constantly producing underdeveloped games or unfinished games due to consumer pressure or a release date, because the game is unfinished they just tell you WE WILL PATCH IT SOON, IT WILL ALL BE FINE.

Suing for something like this isn't sue happy, it just sets a precedent for companies to STOP OVER HYPING AND SELLING UNFINISHED GAMES.

Just think about how long you have been waiting for SOCOM to work? over a year since release and the game still does not work. /6 is really pushing their fanbase to the breaking point, i have never seen a game in which a patch brings features LISTED on the manual.

But hey im not a SOCOM fan so i don't understand. ::)

I wonder why everyone assumes that the next SOCOM will be called SOCOM 4 automatically. It could easily be called SOCOM: Resurrection or SOCOM: Renaissance for all we know.

But of course it's probably just a filler name. I can't wait for SOCOM: Resurrection, though. :P

But as for the topic, SOCOM might have more people, but it doesn't justify what Slant Six Games has done to us. :'(