2010 MLB Predictions

Well with the season kicking off tonight, let's hear everyone's predictions.

Here are mine (** denotes wildcard):

AL Central:

1. Twins

2. White Sux

3. Tigers

4. Royals

5. Indians

AL East:

1. Yankees

2. Rays**

3. Red Sox

4. Orioles

5. Blue Jays

AL West:

1. Mariners

2. Angels

3. Rangers

4. A's

AL MVP: I'm going Evan Longoria. He will power the Rays to the Wild Card or perhaps the division.

AL Cy Young: This is King Felix's year. Grienke will be hard pressed to reproduce his 2009 numbers. CC comes in a close second to Felix this year.

AL Rookie of the Year: Brian Matusz. Sick stuff, though playing for the O's will hurt his win total. Also keep an eye on Wade Davis

AL Manager of the Year: Don Wakamatsu hands down. If the Mariners produce on the field like they should and win the West, he is an easy choice. Don't count out Joe Maddon and his Rays if they take home the Wild Card.

AL Comeback player of the year: I am going Josh Hamilton, though Ben Sheets definitely has the ability to win this award. The only thing keeping me from giving him the nod over Hamilton is nobody knows where Sheets will end up at the end of the year, as Billy Beane will likely deal him when the A's are out of contention, and when will the injury bug hit him again? A sleeper pick for the award is David Ortiz.

---------------------------------------

NL Central:

1. Cubbies

2. Cardinals

3. Brewers

4. Reds

5. Astros

6. Pirates

NL East:

1. Phillies

2. Braves **

3. Marlins

4. Mets

5. Nationals

NL West:

1. Rockies

2. Giants

3. Dodgers

4. D-Backs

5. Padres

NL MVP: Albert Pujols...again. It's foolish to bet against him. I think Tulowitzki presents the best chance for an upset. It's tough to pick Hanley when his team won't be in the playoffs, Tulo's will.

NL Cy Young: Call me crazy, but I'm going Halladay. He's going to put up numers very similar to what Sabathia put up in 2008 with the Brewers, extrapolated to a full season of coarse. Lincecum finishes a close second and Matt Cain is a sleeper pick.

NL Rookie of the Year: Jason Heyward. The kid can rake and he has the positive and humble attitude a young player needs to succeed. Strasburg won't be in this race, even if he does put up great numbers, due to his debut not being until June 1st at the earliest. Alcides Escobar is a solid sleeper pick if Heyward falters. He has Jose Reyes type potential.

NL Manager of the Year: Bobby Cox. The Braves pull off a Wild Card spot in a tough race against the Giants, Dodgers, Cardinals, and Marlins. How can you not vote for Cox in his final season, bringing

NL Comeback player of the year: I'm going with Troy Glaus. If this spring is any indication, he's in tip top shape. He'll be moving to 1st Base, so hopefully he can avoid the injuries that have plagued him. The Braves love what they got in Glaus and he'll thrive there. If Cole Hamels returns to form, he is also a contender for the award.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

** wildcard

AL Central:

1. Twins

2. White Sox

3. Tigers

4. Royals

5. Indians

AL East:

1. Red Sox

2. Rays**

3. Yankees

4. Orioles

5. Blue Jays

AL West:

1. Angels

2. Mariners

3. Rangers

4. A's

NL Central:

1. Cardinals

2. Brewers

3. Cubbies

4. Reds

5. Astros

6. Pirates

NL East:

1. Phillies

2. Mets

3. Braves

4. Marlins

5. Nationals

NL West:

1. Giants

1. Rockies

Loser of the season series gets the wildcard.

3. Dodgers

4. D-Backs

5. Padres

AL Central:

1. White Sox

2. Twins

3. Tigers

4. Royals

5. Indians

AL East:

1. Yankees

2. Red Sox**

3. Rays

4. Orioles

5. Blue Jays

AL West:

1. Angels

2. Mariners

3. Rangers

4. A's

AL MVP: Joe Mauer- The reincarnation of Lou Gehrig finally learned how to consistently hit for power last season. I look for near perfection this season.

AL Cy Young: I agree with Lash on Felix Hernandez. I smell a sophomore slump for Greinke due to his poor surroundings.

AL Rookie of the Year: NA

AL Manager of the Year: Ozzie Guillen- I'm taking Ozzie in a huge upset pick over Waka, with a strong pitching rotation and deep bullpen I like the Sox to turn the ship around this season.

AL Comeback player of the year: Carlos Quentin- If the poor bastard can stay healthy I like him to have a spectacular season. With depth in the outfield this year Quentin will have some extra motivation to earn a starting role.

NL Central:

1. Cardinals

2. Brewers

3. Reds

4. Cubs

5. Astros

6. Pirates

NL East:

1. Phillies

2. Braves

3. Mets

4. Marlins

5. Nationals

NL West:

1. Dodgers

2. Rockies**

3. Giants

4. D-Backs

5. Padres

NL MVP: Albert Pujols- Nobody can touch the machine. Period.

NL Cy Young: Tim Lincecum- I don't see any reason why he shouldn't have yet another freakish year.

NL Rookie of the Year: Jason Heyward- He has the most potential of any rookie I've seen in a few years. He has some of the nastiest power out there and he can hit for contact too. Did I mention he is only 20? He will lead the Braves for years to come and close to a playoff spot this year.

NL Manager of the Year: Tony Larussa- With the pitching rotation set and Holliday locked up I am looking for the Cards to challenge the Phillies for NL dominance.

NL Comeback player of the year: Lance Berkman- Berkman had a rough go last year. The big puma didn't have the stuff last season. I am looking for him to regain his former glory and lead the Stros late in the season in a wildcard push.

Lash you are insane to have the Cubs that high. They are sadly going to have a terrible season. I am liking the Reds future right now. With the rookie dominican, Cueto, and Volquez I think their rotation will be dangerous in a few years.

Call me insane, a homer, a dope for picking the Cubs. I love being the underdog this season. It was such a quiet spring opposed to last year, fresh off 97 wins. This year the hype is down, but the talent is there. Who expected the Cardinals to come out and do what they did last year? Very few people...A lot projected the Cubs and Brewers a top the Central.

This team is very similar to the 2008 97 win team. The bullpen is the big question mark here, as the loss of Angel Guzman was a huge blow. Let's face it though, our bullpen cannot possibly regress from the atrocity it was last year led by Kevin Gregg. Our lineup is still among the best in the NL, if guys can play to their potential.

Remember this was a team last year that was without their BEST power hitter for over 50 games (A-Ram). Soriano played through injuries a LOT last year and struggled mightily after a hot start to the campaign. Soto was never right from the WBC. Very few guys that participated in the WBC had good years, in fact many had injury plagued seasons. I really like the additions of Byrd and Nady. Nady will be a 4th outfielder, but I love to watch that man hit the ball. Loved watching him when he was in Pittsburgh, and believe me he will play his way into starts if not a full fledged starter. If Fukudome or Soriano struggle, Nady and Tyler Colvin (STUD) are waiting in the wings

Our rotation isn't any worse than last year. We lost Harden, BIG DEAL...He was a bust as a Cub. He pitched great down the stretch in 08, but couldn't find his form at all last year. Zambrano is a real wild card. If he can perform and limit the meltdowns, he can have his best season yet. That's been the MO on him for a few seasons now. Hopefully he's matured some. Lilly will be rock solid when he comes back in 2 weeks. Dempster needs to improve on his 09 campaign, though he put up respectable numbers. Randy Wells is confident and I really like his stuff. I think 2009 was not a fluke for him. Silva looks like a man reborn. This spring he put up real solid numbers, hopefully that can continue. He is battling Tom Gorzelanny for the #5 spot once Lilly returns. Gorzelanny also missed a lot of bats this spring, but his inconsistancies need to be fewer and further between.

I think with the help of new hitting coach Rudy Jamarillo, Soriano can work back to form as he has vowed to do this season. Soto trimmed 40 pounds to get back into shape after a lackadaisical offseason last year. Aramis looks to return to form and D-Lee looks solid as ever. Fukudome is in his 3rd season in MLB now, so it's a make or bust year really for him. Fontenot/Baker are nothing special, hence why they will be relegated to the 8 spot for the better part of the season. Add in the new face and great clubhouse spirit of Marlon Byrd, subtract Bradley and you can have a winning formula.

The Cubs have a very soft schedule to open the season and could build a steady momentum, dictating the pace of the season much like in 2008. A lot of people have forgotten how much potential this team has for success. To think of all the injuries and poor performances, individually and as a whole, last season and this team still managed 83 wins. That is an incredible feat.

This is a team undoubtedly surrounded by "if's" and "question marks," but winning teams tend to work those out as the season wears on. We shall find out if the 2010 Cubs have that magic. My hunch is yes and I'm calling a 90-94 win season in the making.

Also the Reds are intriguing, but still a few years away from being serious contenders. I love Joey Votto, one of my favorite "young" players. Aroldis Chapman is starting in the minors, but his stuff is filthy. Cueto has the talent, but has yet to put it together for a full season. There's been flashes of greatness. Nobody knows what to expect from Volquez or when to expect him back from Tommy John surgery. He won't be back until after the all-star break at earliest.

They better hope Baker doesn't ruin any more young arms... ::)

BacklasH ]

Also the Reds are intriguing, but still a few years away from being serious contenders. I love Joey Votto, one of my favorite "young" players. Aroldis Chapman is starting in the minors, but his stuff is filthy. Cueto has the talent, but has yet to put it together for a full season. There's been flashes of greatness. Nobody knows what to expect from Volquez or when to expect him back from Tommy John surgery. He won't be back until after the all-star break at earliest.

They better hope Baker doesn't ruin any more young arms... ::)

That or trade Votto for some odd reason lol.

AL Central:

1. Twins

2. White Sox

3. Tigers

4. Royals

5. Indians

AL East:

1. Rays

2. Red Sox**

3. Yankees

4. Orioles

5. Blue Jays

AL West:

1. Mariners

2. Rangers

3. Angels

4. A's

AL MVP: Longoria

AL Cy Young: The King all the way!!!

AL Manager of the Year: Don Wakamatsu

NL Central:

1. Cardinals

2. Reds

3. Brewers

4. Astros

5. Cubs

6. Pirates

NL East:

1. Phillies

2. Mets**

3. Braves**

4. Marlins

5. Nationals

NL West:

1. Rockies

2. Giants

3. Dodgers

4. D-Backs

5. Padres

Wild Card winner will be the series winner.

NL MVP: Albert Pujols

NL Cy Young: Halladay with Josh Johnson taking 2nd.

NL Rookie of the Year: Jason Heyward. Picked this kid up in the draft for fantasy, love him!!

mic-- ]

I'm a huge Braves fan. If the Phillies have any injury problems, the Braves will be right on their doorsteps. I hope Chipper and Glaus can stay healthy and contribute this year. Hoping for good things out of the Braves.

Looks like we have some offense this year. I can't say I'm happy with Lowe's start, but if he's going to get that kind of run support it's going to be a good year.

Interesting, 2 people picked the Yankees to miss the playoffs this year. :o

CP who is your wild card for the NL, you have two listed. Also if the Cubs finish 5th (or worse) in the Central I'll buy you a UF hat Cp LOL.

Crusty_Demons ]

When it comes to baseball I look forward to October other than that most of it is irrelevant.

I love this thread though Crusty, because as the year wears on we can look back at who was right/wrong.

AL Central:

1. Twins

2. White Sox

3. Tigers

4. Royals

5. Indians

AL East:

1. Yankees

2. Red Sox **

3. Rays

4. Blue Jays

5. Orioles

AL West:

1. Angels

2. Rangers

3. Mariners

4. A's

AL MVP: Miguel Cabrera (This guy has to win one someday)

AL Cy Young: Justin Verlander

AL Manager of the Year: Ron Gardenhire

I'm not favoring the Tigers for anything, but Cabrera and Verlander are probably in the top 5 for hitters and pitchers in the AL, probably even the MLB.

NL Central:

1. Cardinals

2. Brewers

3. Reds

4. Cubs

5. Astros

6. Pirates

NL East:

1. Phillies

2. Braves**

3. Marlins

4. Mets

5. Nationals

NL West:

1. Rockies

2. Dodgers

3. Giants

4. D-Backs

5. Padres

NL MVP: Albert Pujols

NL Cy Young: Tim Lincecum (...again)

NL Manager of the Year: Bobby Cox

Halladay is going to be a beast, but Lincecum is still going to dominate in a less than average NL West. It's going to be one of those divisions where 85 wins gets you the division, again. As far as MVP goes, there's really no point in putting anyone else until Pujols retires.

Should be a great season. I think the races in the AL and NL East are going to be pretty intense. The Rays will be left out again because I still don't think they have that intensity they had back in 2008 as well as a far less superior staff than the Yankees and Red Sox. In the NL, the Braves are much improved and I think they'll hang around for the majority of the season, but the Phils are still the powerhouse. I expect almost identical seasons from the Marlins and Mets (they might be exchangeable), but I just think they're a long ways away from getting back into the race for the East. I also think with Bobby Cox retiring, the Braves have extra determination to get back into October.

In the Central, it will always come down to that last week in the season. While everyone is sucking on the White Sox for their pitching staff, I still believe most of it is hype (just so Chitown fans have a LITTLE to cheer about). Tigers will stick around until they look at the calendar and see that it's time to choke again. NL Central is the same story. Cubs and Reds will underachieve and the Brewers just don't have the rotation to keep up with Carpenter and Wainwright. The Reds have a chance at competing for Wild Card, but as always it's up to injuries and players living up to their names. Aroldis Chapman is going to be a bust.

The AL West is going to be a lot more one sided than people think. If any competition goes on, I think it'll be between the Mariners, Rangers and Rays for the spot BEHIND the Red Sox in the Wild Card race. While the Mariners have upgraded, I still don't think their offense is good enough nor is the support behind the top 2 in the rotation. The Angels middle of the lineup is good as always, and while they've become more of a modern power team, they still are one step above the rest. Of all the teams in the NL West, the Rockies are the most rounded team. They constantly have that will to be on top and it always benefits them. The Giants just don't have the offense to compete, which sucks because their top 3 are pretty beast. The Dodgers will fare better only because of the Giants terrible offense. I don't think the Dodgers have a chance at winning the west, but I can't vouch for the Giants until they upgrade someone besides Panda.

AL Central:

1. Twins

2. Royals

3. White Sox

4. Tigers

5. Indians

AL East:

1. Red Sox

2. Rays

3. Yankees**

4. Orioles

5. Blue Jays

AL West:

1. Angels

2. Rangers

3. A's

4. Mariners

NL Central:

1. Brewers

2. Cubs**

3. Cardinals

4. Reds

5. Astros

6. Pirates

NL East:

1. Phillies

2. Mets

3. Braves

4. Marlins

5. Nationals

NL West:

1. Giants

2. Dodgers

3. Rockies

4. D-Backs

5. Padres

WS - Red Sox / Giants.. ;D (I can dream, cant I.?)

xLASTx ]

Does it really matter Yanks back to back champs. They where the best last year and got even better in the off season so who would be crazy enough to pick against them?

They got better?

They lost Matsui and Damon and replaced them with Granderson and I forget the other guy was it Thames or someone, not just that they added Winn I mean he's an all time fav of mine since I am a Giant fan but we both know he's not what he used to be. I don't really think they got better man, they are still good but better no sir. I look at it this way who where your most productive in the playoffs? Also as far as crazy to pick against them haha MLB networks last predictions had the Yanks missing the playoffs, but they all had different choices so I wouldn't use them as real measure...

Chilli I love that choice let them hate on the Giant offense but we will see by the end. The key for them is getting the road wins up.

You have to remember that MLB Network, ESPN, etc, are all a bunch of crazy anti-Yankee prick.

Seriously, look at Peter Gammons. We all know he's pro-Boston, it's always been like that, but he chooses the Red Sox EVERY YEAR, no matter what. Also, ever since 2008, everyone has been all over the Rays constantly. Same can be said with the Rockies and 2007. Everyone finds a reason to pick against the Yankees, no matter what it is.

The Yankees are a better team this year. There is no question about it. They lost an aging Johnny Damon, an aging Hideki Matsui, and an expendable Melky Cabrera...BIG DEAL. Damon was dying a slow death until New Yankee Stadium's right field jet stream saved him.

They replaced Matsui at DH with Nick Johnson. Johnson is the PERFECT number 2 hitter for the Yankees. He had a .426 OBP last season. ANYBODY who gets on base 42.6% of the time in front of A-Rod and Tex is going to score a TON of runs. The intrigue with Johnson this year is he will only be DHing. He should be able to stay healthy and post a career high in At Bats. It appears he has regained his power stroke and he will be playing 81 games in Yankee Stadium. That bodes well for his power numbers. You can expect a batting average of around .290 with a ton of walks, with potential for 100 runs, 25 home runs, and 80-90 rbi.

They replaced the Melk Man in Center with Granderson. Granderson showed he can handle Center thus far and he is a far more potent bat than Cabrera, with solid base-stealing potential. Not to mention they acquired Javy Vazquez in return for him (and prospects).

They replaced Damon in Left with Brett Gardner, who will now start there full time. He showed what he could do last season. He won't have the "power" numbers of Damon, but he will have a similar average with a lot more speed. The Yankees don't need him to be a power guy in that lineup and as such he's a better fit.

Winn is a 4th outfielder and Thames is a 5th. They are just added depth, not starters LOL.

Their rotation is also a vast improvement. Vazquez adds yet another All-Star to this rotation that lines up:

1. Sabathia

2. Burnett

3. Pettite

4. Vazquez

5. Hughes

Hughes showed last year and this Spring that he's ready for the #5 role and Joba is back to the bullpen, which SHOULD make their bullpen stronger if he can work his way into the 8th inning man again. Do you know what the difference between Vazquez and the combination of starters they used last season to fill out the back end of their rotation? They had Wang, Gaudin, Mitre, Aceves, and finally Hughes to fill the #5 role last year. Now you bring in Vazquez, a 15 game winner with the Braves last year, and Hughes fills the role for #5? Joba had only 9 wins last year and was VERY inconsistent, Hughes should exceed that mark and though he'll struggle at times he will be better than Joba last year. Vazquez replacing the rag tag group of starters from last year adds 5-10 more wins to this team and that is scary.

BacklasH ]

Interesting, 2 people picked the Yankees to miss the playoffs this year. :o

CP who is your wild card for the NL, you have two listed. Also if the Cubs finish 5th (or worse) in the Central I'll buy you a UF hat Cp LOL.

Crusty_Demons ]

When it comes to baseball I look forward to October other than that most of it is irrelevant.

I love this thread though Crusty, because as the year wears on we can look back at who was right/wrong.

I hear ya

I'm not knocking on your thread so much as the ridiculous length of the baseball season. ;)