OBAMA OR MCCAIN WHO DO YOU CHOSE

Found out about this today.

Gwen Iffil, the person moderating the Vice Presidential debates Thursday has written a book.

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl/9780385525015.html

The Title: The Breakthrough Politics and Race in the Age of Obama. It is due for publication and release in January 2009.

Why is this an issue? If Obama doesn't win, the book is worthless and Iffil stands to lose a lot of money.

Surely she told those considering her for a moderator that she has penned a book on Obama. Right?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26978194/?GT1=43001

Wrong: The host of PBS’ “Washington Week†and senior correspondent on “The NewsHour†said she did not tell the Commission on Presidential Debates about the book. The commission had no immediate comment when contacted by The Associated Press

Granted Iffil also say's in the article that she hasn't written the part about Obama for the book. But if you look closely at the book link I first posted, you will see that the book has 272 pages.

Now either Iffil is such a phenomenal writer that she knows exactly how may pages a book she writes will be at the time of publish, or she's lying already. A publisher will do some editing, sometimes taking stuff out and sometimes sending it back to the writer for more. So even more amazing that the number of pages of the book are already known if it hasn't been written yet as Iffil say's.

It really doesn't speak well of a news organization, PBS (Government funded no less) that can't come up with a moderator who has not written a book supporting one of the candidates (anyone who believes she will write anything critical of Obama is dillusional), has failed to reveal that she has written the book or at the very least she had a deal to do so, and now claims not to even have written the Obama part of the book even though Obama is part of the title and the number of pages is known.

Know your sources. Be informed. Verify for yourself. Make up your own mind.

(modification was I forgot to post news link on the Iffil story)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was going to then said, screw it... here's the link. LOL ::)

This book is not about Obama btw... so the book will sell if Obama wins or not. Ifill's book, The Breakthrough, is a thought exercise on the "black political structure" of the civil rights movement, and outlines how that struggle led to today, where we're moving toward racial equality. Of course, it would be author's malpractice not to mention Barack Obama in that scenario, because he is the most visible result of that process: a black man able to run for president on a major party ticket.

This is rebuttal to a claim in this thread that the military were backing Obama:

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2008/10/military_poll_100508w/

Sen. John McCain enjoys overwhelming support from the military’s professional core, though race appears to be a decisive factor for career-oriented black service members, a Military Times survey of nearly 4,300 readers indicates.

McCain, R-Ariz., handily defeated Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., 68 percent to 23 percent in a voluntary survey of 4,293 active-duty, National Guard and reserve subscribers and former subscribers to Army Times, Navy Times, Marine Corps Times and Air Force Times.

Latest poll results... ;D

National Gallup Tracking Obama 50, McCain 43 Obama +7

National Rasmussen Tracking Obama 51, McCain 44 Obama +7

National Hotline/FD Tracking Obama 48, McCain 41 Obama +7

Pennsylvania Morning Call Tracking Obama 50, McCain 40 Obama +10

Minnesota Star Tribune Obama 55, McCain 37 Obama +18

Colorado Denver Post Obama 44, McCain 44 Tie

Ohio Columbus Dispatch* Obama 49, McCain 42 Obama +7

I guess we will have to see what happens after the next debate.

I want to add, where were the polls coming up to the last Presidential election? Wasn't Kerry leading basically up to the election?

If I remember right Kerry led all the way and got destroyed in the Election. If I am right, which I think I am, then those poll numbers mean nothing.

LOL destroyed? You're kidding, right? It came down to ONE state. Ohio. No one got "destroyed". Also, both Kerry and Gore did NOT have the lead that Obama has right now. So, no, he didn't. Kerry had a slight advantage, like 3 or 4 points. Obama is pushing the 50 mark which, it is said if he holds 48% or over going into the last week, McCain will be done. Please know that polls are ONLY snapshots in time. They really don't mean a lot until the final days. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy right now with what I see... but they are only snapshots in time. 3 weeks is a lifetime in politics. Any thing can happen. ;)

Obama always polls higher than the percentage of the votes he gets, especially exit polling.

But WarPig is correct. The Republicans have the White House, and had the Congress majority for 6 of the last 8 years, and the Republican Congress blew it big time with wasteful spending.

The only thing that might help is the truth about Fannie and Freddie being signed into law by a Democratic President, and was blocked on at least 3 occassions by Congressional Democrats from being better regulated as suggested by Republican's.

McCain has a anchor around his neck and it's called "economy". McCain has to continue to educate the electorate about his long record of being fiscally responible and Obama's very short record of $975 million dollars in earmarks Obama is responsible for in less than 3 years as a Senator, and almost two of those years he was running for President.

Red, You are seriously wrong on your numbers. You can say Kerry was destroyed all you want. Bush did win that election at least... but dude, you have a weird definition of "destroyed"... LOL It came down to ONE state my friend. If Kerry carried Ohio, he would have won. How on earth is that "destroyed"? That's like saying that Jacksonville was "destroyed" by Pittsburgh this weekend. LOL ::)

Yeah, Hog I think you are correct. McCain's only hope is to really try and paint Obama as being part of blame along with Dems for the economic crisis. He has an up hill battle right now. Obama has a chance to put this away tomorrow night. Not sure if he can though. It will be close no matter what going into Nov.

Red, You are seriously wrong on your numbers. You can say Kerry was destroyed all you want. Bush did win that election at least... but dude, you have a weird definition of "destroyed"... LOL It came down to ONE state my friend. If Kerry carried Ohio, he would have won. How on earth is that "destroyed"? That's like saying that Jacksonville was "destroyed" by Pittsburgh this weekend. LOL ::)

Yeah, Hog I think you are correct. McCain's only hope is to really try and paint Obama as being part of blame along with Dems for the economic crisis. He has an up hill battle right now. Obama has a chance to put this away tomorrow night. Not sure if he can though. It will be close no matter what going into Nov.

You know, everytime one of you guys say that, the scene from Head of State when they announce Chris Rock has all but won comes to mind. It's happened all 80 times or so you guys said it. :D

The really funny part is that there is alot of truth to that scene too. ;)

I think a lot of people pretend to be for Obama because they want to be thought of as open minded, & not racially biased. but in reality im betting those numbers will change in the voting booth, even more than they will in the next few weeks. Just my 2 cents.

I think im just going to throw my vote to the indy, or green party.

Chili-Palmer ]

The Green Party? I want you to be a informed voter, so let me help.

Allow me to introduce Cynthia McKinney, former Democratic House Represntative and the current Presidential Candidate for the Green Party:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nc-DouFzYM&eurl=http://hotair.com/archives/2008/10/01/mckinney-dod-shot-5000-prisoners-during-katrina/

:o::)

HogWild ]
Chili-Palmer ]

The Green Party? I want you to be a informed voter, so let me help.

Allow me to introduce Cynthia McKinney, former Democratic House Represntative and the current Presidential Candidate for the Green Party:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nc-DouFzYM&eurl=http://hotair.com/archives/2008/10/01/mckinney-dod-shot-5000-prisoners-during-katrina/

:o::)

Dont worry.. its just to help them get their shyt together, they dont have a chance.

I live in California where Obama will win so my vote is useless eitherway, so i might as well give it to one of the less fortunate parties. so someday we will have more to choose from that just Dem, or Rep. because honestly they both suck ass.!!

If not the Green Party, maybe the:

- Libertarian Party

- Constitution Party

- Ralph Nader is an independent candidate.

Overall it just doesn't matter to me, i just would like to see someone who is smart, & capable, NOT just rich enough to promote better.! ;)

J-Rite ]
HippieChik ]

Sharing the facts about "McCain's long record of being fiscally responsible": http://my.barackobama.com/page/invite/keatingvideo

is this a reputable source? ::)

http://my.barackobama.com/page/invite/keatingvideo

I'm sure it's not one sided.. lol

HippieChik ]
J-Rite ]
HippieChik ]

Sharing the facts about "McCain's long record of being fiscally responsible": http://my.barackobama.com/page/invite/keatingvideo

Or you could go here:

keatingeconomics.com

Either way, regardless of who put it out there, facts are facts. Google it.

i was bustin ya hippie, b/c hog would argue it's one sided.

J-Rite ]
HippieChik ]
J-Rite ]
HippieChik ]

Or you could go here:

keatingeconomics.com

I'm not trying to "argue" anything. Just sharing the knowledge. :)

HippieChik ]
J-Rite ]
HippieChik ]
J-Rite ]
HippieChik ]

Or you could go here:

keatingeconomics.com

I'm not trying to "argue" anything. Just sharing the knowledge. :)

it's all good lol :-* i'm an obama supporter, i'll research what he says but i'll never doubt it unless proven wrong in other reputable places.