COD4 VS CONFRONTATION

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im looking forward to confrontation for the simple fact that ALOT of people consider Socom their grass roots.. and while COD may be really fun now.. the lack of things like a Clan management system, which have become so baseline for us .. truly make us appreciate what the guys at Zipper have made (even with their massive delays and all)

So, enjoy COD now... and look forward to seeing everyone back on confrontation (I hope to god to have my ps3 by then)

Red0ctobeR ]

I don't know if CoD4 is a pascifier. It has been something that is real fun. And for the first time in a long time I am addicted to a game again. It may become the next big franchise. As ling as they don't do the same crap SOCOM did.

My sentiments exactly.

I'm not sure Call of Duty will have the Staying power that Socom did.

Let's face it, if you're of the like mind as me.. Socom gave me five years of entertainment, no other game even comes close to that. Sure it had it problems, but for the most part the problems were not so dramatic as to stop me from playing. At least not until recently. The bottom line for me was not so much Socom but had more to do with the next gen' consoles and what they offered by way of improved graphics, sound and performance.

I don't doubt that had Confrontation been released by now or if a Socom title was out for the next gen systems that I would be playing that and not COD. Regardless of what happened to Socom, I can't complain since I don't deny I more than got my monies worth in entertainment value. Will COD have the same staying power. Honestly I doubt it. I thought Resistance was awesome but after a few months grew tired of it.. With Warhawk It held my interest for less than a month, Vegas was a game I loved but it too failed to hold my interest. GRAW was too problematic in terms of it's servers and quickly became frustrating.

So along came COD and yes it's a blast and has yet to grow tiresome.. but comparing Socom's Five years to COD's two months means COD as not even come close to being considered in the same league as Socom. Will Confrontation rule COD? perhaps? We will see. But my money's on Confrontation as COD has yet to prove it's Staying power. At this time it's a no brainer Socom CA simply doesn't cut it for me anymore, and Confrontation isn't available, that only leaves COD as the only choice at this time. When more choices become available things may change.

Red0ctobeR ]

I don't know if CoD4 is a pascifier. It has been something that is real fun. And for the first time in a long time I am addicted to a game again. It may become the next big franchise. As ling as they don't do the same crap SOCOM did.

I played SOCOM on the PS2, but I never got into online play.  I had the PS3 as soon as it came out and that is the only amount of time I've played online.  That was only with COD3 and now COD4.  Can anyone explain to me what SOCOM had that caused, IMO (from what I've seen), an explosion of clans and website dedicated to this game.

I'm just curious about the pros and cons I hear everyone talking about.  

Guest [+30]PuddyTat
IrshZ28 ]

I'm just curious about "the crap" they did.  Also, were they able to send out updated patches like they do on the PS3 to improve on the game?

i did not start playing online until socom 3, but IMO socoms clan system bred the websites, rivalries, and things like UF. it is by far the best clan system i have ever seen on any game, and with the invite system you felt like you had earned something when you joined a clan. the clan system in cod4 blows. clan tags should not be a rank reward, and i could possibly wear the tag of any clan i wished to just by reaching level 12. we have one player in particular that was asked to leave the clan, yet has been seen on occasion wearing our tag, and we have no way to stop him from doing it, short of changing our tag.

i have made some good friends thanks to being in a clan, and alot of people on this board could probably say the same thing. socom is the only game that gave people that opprotunity on an even ,honest level.

Goat ]

I'm not sure Call of Duty will have the Staying power that Socom did.

Let's face it, if you're of the like mind as me.. Socom gave me five years of entertainment, no other game even comes close to that. Sure it had it problems, but for the most part the problems were not so dramatic as to stop me from playing. At least not until recently. The bottom line for me was not so much Socom but had more to do with the next gen' consoles and what they offered by way of improved graphics, sound and performance.

I don't doubt that had Confrontation been released by now or if a Socom title was out for the next gen systems that I would be playing that and not COD. Regardless of what happened to Socom, I can't complain since I don't deny I more than got my monies worth in entertainment value. Will COD have the same staying power. Honestly I doubt it. I thought Resistance was awesome but after a few months grew tired of it.. With Warhawk It held my interest for less than a month, Vegas was a game I loved but it too failed to hold my interest. GRAW was too problematic in terms of it's servers and quickly became frustrating.

So along came COD and yes it's a blast and has yet to grow tiresome.. but comparing Socom's Five years to COD's two months means COD as not even come close to being considered in the same league as Socom. Will Confrontation rule COD? perhaps? We will see. But my money's on Confrontation as COD has yet to prove it's Staying power. At this time it's a no brainer Socom CA simply doesn't cut it for me anymore, and Confrontation isn't available, that only leaves COD as the only choice at this time. When more choices become available things may change.

I have played Socom online since Socom 1, I even had the demo for Socom 1, & I agree with you on many points Goat.. except you should be comparing CoD4 to Socom 1 not Socom: CA.

CoD4 may be the 4th installment, but CoD4 is the first one that really counts (current weapons, etc..)

Give them time to tweak it & make it better as Socom did.. or didn't, depending on who you talk to.  **cough WiZ cough**

And of course there is NO question that if Confrontation is anywhere near decent, it is going to be a great game.

We're all the same people here, We love our 3rd person shooter SOCOM. There is so many memories, so many friends, its like a cult. Get on every night with the same people. It truly is a family. Everybody would log on, head over to their server. You practically know everybody who plays in your server. The lobby system is priceless and by far the best for online gaming. Zipper may have messed up with cheaters, no updates and broken promises. But their online LOBBY SYSTEM is the best and i think these other gaming companies need to learn from them on that aspect.

Socom was "before its time".......  Being able to sign on with people all over the world and run around the same map and talk to them was awesome.  Well, now all games do this and to be honest, with better maps & better graphics.

HTK ]

Get on every night with the same people. It truly is a family. Everybody would log on, head over to their server. You practically know everybody who plays in your server. The lobby system is priceless and by far the best for online gaming. Zipper may have messed up with cheaters, no updates and broken promises. But their online LOBBY SYSTEM is the best and i think these other gaming companies need to learn from them on that aspect.

The above is what made Socom great.  And it was the clan features that continued to separate this game from any other created.  I love that CoD4 is absolutely GREAT....  Cause ya know what?  Its telling the people bringing us the next Socom that they better put the time in.  You throw a clan / lobby system in CoD4 and I don't think you'd ever see me again.  :)  But, clans have never been big in that series......  CoD4 is the best thing that could have happened to the Socom series.  I have a feeling if Confrontation had been released as it was back then, you'd still be playing CoD4 today.

But, like I've said in other threads.....  The bar has been set with graphics & gameplay.  Now combine it with a clan & lobby system and you have my ideal game.

WiZ ]

Socom was "before its time".......  Being able to sign on with people all over the world and run around the same map and talk to them was awesome.  Well, now all games do this and to be honest, with better maps & better graphics.

HTK ]

Get on every night with the same people. It truly is a family. Everybody would log on, head over to their server. You practically know everybody who plays in your server. The lobby system is priceless and by far the best for online gaming. Zipper may have messed up with cheaters, no updates and broken promises. But their online LOBBY SYSTEM is the best and i think these other gaming companies need to learn from them on that aspect.

The above is what made Socom great.  And it was the clan features that continued to separate this game from any other created.  I love that CoD4 is absolutely GREAT....  Cause ya know what?  Its telling the people bringing us the next Socom that they better put the time in.  You throw a clan / lobby system in CoD4 and I don't think you'd ever see me again.  :)  But, clans have never been big in that series......  CoD4 is the best thing that could have happened to the Socom series.  I have a feeling if Confrontation had been released as it was back then, you'd still be playing CoD4 today.

But, like I've said in other threads.....  The bar has been set with graphics & gameplay.  Now combine it with a clan & lobby system and you have my ideal game.

agreed ;D

Very very interesting topic, but more so.. the comments people have regarding socom.. are something that.. I guess only true socomers can appreciate..

Its great to hear that the community, while currently playing a new, and really amazing game.. still have their hearts in socom...