Help from the uf community

Lately I have been having someone by the name of UncleSammy lurking around the TNU forums. He never made any posts but I dont like having someone just stop by and just lurk with nobody knowing him and having him not post at all. So I messaged him and told him he would be removed if he was not an active member of the forums. He said he would just create a new name. Now thats all fine, I can ban IP's but he is using a Proxy Server with multiple email address'. So far I have banned 4 names. Now I realize there isnt anything you can do to help me keep him off BUT if you can run an IP search for his original IP out of illinois so I know who it is that want to mess with us I would appreciate it. His IP is: ***************

***Please do not openly post up IP addresses***

My search results found that IP to be in a range of Ip's that generate from a "Proxy Server" in other words whoever it is it not really at that IP. Damn open proxies. That's what 67.159.44.138 is by the way. "Anonymous" open proxies allow a user to conceal his or her IP address from the accessed service, as it is possible to use someone else's computer in order to hide one's identity and/or location."

So just block the IP or the IP range altogether and call it a day.

Please do not publicly post IP addresses for something as innocuous as this.

People sign up to forums and lurk all the time.

You have the right to remove him from your forum if you like for this reason, but it's not a reason to post his IP address for everyone to see here at UF.

We have thousands of accounts here in UF but only hundreds check in and fewer post.

If we deleted all the lurkers of this forum here, the population would be thinned dramatically.

But there is no harm in lurking so there is no reason to post this IP address here on this forum.

You dont think its a bit inconspicuous that this person came and spent 15-20 minutes on our forums every day for over a week, didnt post on anything and then when confronted and asked to be an ACTIVE member on the forums just says he will create a different account if I remove him. Then when removed begins to register 3-4 other accounts with proxy IP's and multiple addresses?

I assume you would try to figure out who it was if someone was doing that on the Ravenfall forums.

ShadowOfaSolja ]

You dont think its a bit inconspicuous that this person came and spent 15-20 minutes on our forums every day for over a week, didnt post on anything and then when confronted and asked to be an ACTIVE member on the forums just says he will create a different account if I remove him. Then when removed begins to register 3-4 other accounts with proxy IP's and multiple addresses?

I assume you would try to figure out who it was if someone was doing that on the Ravenfall forums.

i lurk all day

X_-GHOST-_X ]
ShadowOfaSolja ]

i lurk all day

ya but thats expected of you... ur the guy everybody sees walking down the street wearing the thong and screaming "dear god, somebody, i wanna be raped!"

Guys again.. that Ip doesn't belong to anyone specific, its an open proxy IP. It could be anyone? hiding behind the open proxy.

you could do a google search for a updated list of open proxy Ip's and ban them all.. anyone using one you don't really want in your forums anyway..

hell I blocked all of the RIPE network which is most of Europe, as well as blocked Africa, China, and most of Asia along with a small section of south Louisiana. I figured one coon-ass was enough for our forums.. ;D

Goat ]

Guys again.. that Ip doesn't belong to anyone specific, its an open proxy IP. It could be anyone? hiding behind the open proxy.

you could do a google search for a updated list of open proxy Ip's and ban them all.. anyone using one you don't really want in your forums anyway..

hell I blocked all of the RIPE network which is most of Europe, as well as blocked Africa, China, and most of Asia along with a small section of south Louisiana. I figured one coon-ass was enough for our forums.. ;D

And yes, it does belong to a certain somebody. :)

You mean "Union Jack"? LOL

yea in a sense the IP is someone's but it could and most likely is jacked... i.e. Jack..

look up open proxies... they often times borrow.. well steal actually some unwitting persons IP to use. In other words give it up the guy who's spamming your boards or lurking about is using a "Jacked" IP that is being used as an open proxy.. That's the Fact JACK...

ShadowOfaSolja: There are 'alot' of people who do that in our forum (I'll say no names; *cough, cough-cough*). But, I basically don't sweat them, and I don't allow new registrars to be able to 'freely' roam around (they only see about 20% of the forum). There is a basic Public area, and then there are 'priviledge levels' depending on how well others know him and etc. Clan Members have a whole world of our own in a small area, and confirmed individuals get into 70% of the forum. It works pretty well for us! Just an idea for you to think about.