Whats IN your "name"?

We all have our Socom ps3 handles. Some are a bit more unique than others. People CONSTANTLY call me a tree, or a toyota mini van....Shane23 prefers Mexican..however there is much more to my name than probably more than 80 percent of you know.

What better time than the thanksgiving time to introduce the Native American background in my name. I am Cherokee Indian, and thus I chose the name Sequoyah.

Read below why. It is a bit lenghty, but please, indulge yourself to learn something and read it all the way through. Thanks for those that do.

What does your name mean?

"Most historians credit Sequoyah, the most famous Cherokee, with the invention of the syllabary. However, some oral historians contend that the written Cherokee language is much, much older. But even if there was an ancient written Cherokee language, it was lost to the Cherokees until Sequoyah developed the syllabary. The development of the syllabary was one of the events which was destined to have a profound influence on our tribe’s history. This extraordinary achievement marks the only known instance of an individual creating a totally new system of writing.

Born in the 1770s in the Cherokee village of Tuskegee on the Tennessee River, Sequoyah was a mixed blood whose mother, Wureth, belonged to the Paint Clan. Sometimes the young man was known by his English name, George Gist or Guess, a legacy from his white father. Sequoyah, reared in the old tribal ways and customs, became a hunter and fur trader. He was also a skilled silver craftsman who never learned to speak, write or read English. However, he was always fascinated with the white people’s ability to communicate with one another by making distinctive marks on paper - what some native people referred to as "talking leaves".

Handicapped from a hunting accident and therefore having more time for contemplation and study, Sequoyah supposedly set about to devise his own system of communication in 1809. He devoted the next dozen years to his task, taking time to serve as a soldier in the War of 1812 and the Creek War. Despite constant ridicule by friends and even family members, and accusations that he was insane or practicing witchcraft, Sequoyah became obsessed with his work on the Cherokee language.

"It is said that in ancient times, when writing first began, a man named Moses made marks on a stone. I can agree with you by what name to call those marks and that will be writing and can be understood," attributed to Sequoyah.

Some historians say that ultimately Sequoyah determined the Cherokee language was made up of particular clusters of sounds and combinations of vowels and consonants. The eighty-five characters in the syllabary represent all the combination of vowel and consonant sounds that form our (the Cherokee) language. In 1812, Sequoyah’s demonstration of the system before a gathering of astonished tribal leaders was so dramatically convincing that it promptly led to the official approval of the syllabary.

Within several months of Sequoyah’s unveiling of his invention, a substantial number of people in the Cherokee Nation reportedly were able to read and write in their own language. Many mixed bloods were already able to read and write in English, but the syllabary made it possible for virtually everyone in the Cherokee Nation, young and old, to master our language in a relatively short period of time.

In 1827, the Cherokee council appropriated funding for the establishment of a national newspaper. Early the following year, the hand press and syllabary characters in type were shipped by water from Boston and transported overland the last two hundred miles by wagon to the capital of the Cherokee Nation, New Echota. The inaugural issue of the newspaper, "Tsa la gi Tsu lehisanunhi" or "Cherokee Phoenix", printed in parallel columns in Cherokee and English appeared on February 21, 1828. It was the first Indian newspaper published in the United States."

well, RNG is latin for "ringinormis" which translates into english as "themostawesomewarrior." It was given this meaning by Augustus Caesar back in the day, b/c their was once a warrior called "ringinormis" who had conquered many lands, and brought victory to the romans. since then only the worthy can be called RNG.

;D

In socom 1 I was warchildya, clan mate of mine called me poppasmurf so i changed my name in socom 2 to that,well never really liking that name i wanted something different and went with xstream.After awhile the name was just stupid so one day a few clan mates of mine wanted to go screw with some of our guys in a practice room so we created the menu clan. there was bacon,orange,eggs,meatloaf,and i took lunch.Since the middle of socom 2 for some reason I liked the name lunch and decided to keep it.

When i got my ps3 someone had already took my name so i went with plainsite,never feeling like myself before the end of the beta lunch007 was born.Now as agent lunch moves through his new life with a new identity he looks to spread the love of what is lunch

I am the part of everyones life everyday,people all over cant wait till noon\ so they can go and relax and have a bite to eat and enjoy there "lunch"..I am lunch the one and only that will go down as a time of day everyone loves.

Corny i know but There is no way to top a great Cherokee or a roman warrior.

I already explained how I came up with my name in another thread. We've been working on something using Latin, so just for fun I translated "Hog Wild" into Latin. Latin is a interesting language, it adds empahsis or different meanings for a single word.

In Latin my name is "Porcus Torvitas", which means "savage boar". Paints a nifty picture in the mind I think.

Undertow -

–noun

- any strong current below the surface of a body of water, moving in a direction different from that of the surface current.

- An underwater current flowing strongly away from the shore, usually caused by the seaward return of water from waves that have broken against the shore.

- Track 7 from the debut album of Tool.

I am proud of my Caribbean heritage and wanted my name to rep my region. And CLANK is just one of the coolest video game characters from the Playstation family of characters. Clank can adapt to any situation thrown at him and is a funny little dude. The name has a nice ring to it and is unique.

Most of my Clan mates call me CLANK and I really like that nick name.

Guest SuddenRedScare

Quite honestly, I have no idea how I came up with this name. It just came to me one day. I've always been into 20th century history but nothing interested me more than the Cold War. I took a term widely associated with the war, added the adjective sudden in there, and called it a name. I always thought it was pretty original. I have yet to see anyone with any type of Red Scare name.

Sudden adj. - Happening, coming, made, or done quickly, without warning, or unexpectedly.

Red Scare noun - The fear of the spread of communism.

Wait, isn't anyone going to call bullshit on RNG..!?

For christ sakes didn't you guys read that bullshit.. lol

Not hard to get, but...

If you cant figure it out my name is from the movie "Get Shorty".

I got sick of all the stupid names i tried in Socom 1, & knew as soon as i saw the movie "Get Shorty" that was it.!

"Be Cool" (the sequel) kinda tarnished the name, because even though it was a funny movie it wasn't as good as "Get Shorty".

getshorty.jpg

Chili Palmer (John Travolta) works as a loan shark out in Miami, tired of his becoming mundane duties yet ever keeping his calm cool. When a job comes to him, involving the retrieval of $300,000 which small-time idiot, Joe Devoe (David Paymer) had gained through a fraud act he finds himself heading off to L.A. - land of the stars, where his first stop is the production office of B-movie mogul, Harry Zimm (Gene Hackman) who owes quite a considerable debt. However during their first meeting Chili immediately becomes wrapped up in discussing a movie idea, which is of all things is based upon a certain real life experience. Zimm agrees to get the project off the ground with the help of his girlfriend, Karen (Rene Russo) and they suggest casting academy award nominee Martin Weir (Danny DeVito), while Chili also tries to get his immediate job finished. Things are never going to be that easy for Chili and when one of Zimm's investors, Bo (Delroy Lindo) shows up on the scene to disrupt matters, along with Chili's old rival Ray Barboni (Dennis Farina) you can be sure that being cool is one thing that Chili has got going to rely upon.

Author, Elmore Leonard acknowledges Get Shorty as being the greatest film adaptation from any of his novels. The reason for this is that his patented dialogue has been so carefully carried over to the big screen, capturing the required essence of what makes his stories so popular. Being no stranger to Hollywood, Leonard drew upon many experiences within the industry whilst penning his novel, citing the real life Chili Palmer who was a loan shark turned private investigator as his main source of inspiration. In the end we have a feature that is fine tuned in balancing both crime and celebrity life.

My name stems from 2 different things. I play rugby and the position I play is a "Lock", well one day in a pretty big match against another team we were 5 meters from the try zone and needed the try to win the game. Our coach yelled at my fellow second row and I and said "You need to lock it down" He was trying to say we needed to push hard and win the scrum because as a Lock it's our job to drive the scrum. Since then when we absolutely MUST win a scrum, I've always turned to my partner and told him it's time to "Lockdown".

Now when I was searching for a new name for Confrontation I was looking for a name that would represent my love for rugby in someway and Lockdown fit it perfectly, but I was opposed to using it until I was sitting at my computer one night thinking away and I looked over into my collectors case of valuables and there I keep an action figure that has a lot of meaning to me. My grandfather gave me the action figure prior to his death and it's of a Transformer named Lockdown. Lockdown has always been one of my favorite characters to the Transformers series and I find him very unique and the action figure reminds me of my grandfather who always had a significant impact on my life.

In Transformers Lockdown is described as being a Decepticon but shows no allegiance to Megatron, in reality he is a bounty hunter who traverses the universe in search of his targets. Once he finds and destroys them he takes the best of their technologies to improve his own means and ability to further adapt and hunt his prey. I relate this adaptation and hunting to what I need to do in wars in order to help win for the team.

So there you have the meaning behind my new name.

I could never stick with a name throughout the SOCOM. I had gone through names like Sabre, Mercenary, and Rebel just to name a few.

But Matty2D...

First of all, my name is Matt (obviously). But, I wanted a name that wasn't socom related, because the PSN is standard for all games. I didn't want to be Mercenary or something playing on Madden. Anyways, my grandfather, who is very close to me, always called me Matty. So, it stuck. And the 2 is my favorite number;the D is the first letter of my last name. I would have taken MattyD2 but it was taken.

SEQUOYAH ]

We all have our Socom ps3 handles. Some are a bit more unique than others. People CONSTANTLY call me a tree, or a toyota mini van....Shane23 prefers Mexican..however there is much more to my name than probably more than 80 percent of you know.

What better time than the thanksgiving time to introduce the Native American background in my name. I am Cherokee Indian, and thus I chose the name Sequoyah.

Read below why. It is a bit lenghty, but please, indulge yourself to learn something and read it all the way through. Thanks for those that do.

That is right! LOL

And before some of you get all, "that's mean" like my girlfriend says when I give Seqouyah a hard time. It is all in our giving eachother shit and I do respect the indian nation and Seqouyah especially since he served in the Navy. ;D

My family has a background of breeding, breaking, training and showing horses. My mom, who showed horses, loved the book Shane so that is where my name stems from, he was a cowboy and my mom was a cowgirl. #5 was my number when I played soccer and #23 came from my favorite baseball player, Robyn Ventura. SHANE523

SHANE23 ]
SEQUOYAH ]

That is right! LOL

And before some of you get all, "that's mean" like my girlfriend says when I give Seqouyah a hard time. It is all in our giving eachother shit and I do respect the indian nation and Seqouyah especially since he served in the Navy. ;D

My family has a background of breeding, breaking, training and showing horses. My mom, who showed horses, loved the book Shane so that is where my name stems from, he was a cowboy and my mom was a cowgirl. #5 was my number when I played soccer and #23 came from my favorite baseball player, Robyn Ventura. SHANE523

Damn u Shane....It was the Marine Corps....not the Navy. GOD!!! >:(

SHANE23 ]

Is there a 5 in your name..!?

Irish, because of my heritage...obviously. The term "bull' is a slang term for a railroad cop, which I am. Its better than the other slang's for railroad police, "cinder dick" and "gumshoe".

Dict. of Amer. Slang gives as one sense of "bull" "A policeman; a law enforcement officer of any kind, as a uniformed policeman, detective, plainclothes man, F.B.I. agent, prison guard, railroad policeman, or the like. . . . Prob. earlier than c1800 . . . Orig. hobo and underworld use; since c1920 very common with all ranks of the underworld. Prob. of gypsy orig. from Sp. sl. 'bul' = policeman, reinforced by the image of a bull as big and aggressive. Often used in combinations to designate the type of law enforcement officer. Cf. cinder bull, fly bull, harness bull, yard bull."